Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Anomaly Overhaul

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 20, 2012, 10:51:39 PM
Nuker22110 wrote:
hello, would it be possible for you to upload a combination of your anomalies mod with the latest version of Imperium Aeterna? Also, do you mind revealing how you get esmapeditor to work when the mod is loaded?

He already did. Read the original post, it should be the last download link.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 21, 2012, 8:06:20 AM
how do you get it to work with the esmapeditor then? it just comes up with an error
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 21, 2012, 2:36:58 PM
Nuker22110 wrote:
how do you get it to work with the esmapeditor then? it just comes up with an error

Maybe you should report that error in the esmapeditor thread along with a sample map and info on what mod was installed so the author is aware of it and look into it for you. -Just a thought.smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 22, 2012, 1:48:09 AM
Abiogenesis Organisms

Abiogenesis is the process by which a living organism arises naturally from non-living matter.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 22, 2012, 3:09:54 PM
Azuri wrote:
Abiogenesis Organisms

Abiogenesis is the process by which a living organism arises naturally from non-living matter.

Ok then smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 29, 2012, 7:14:15 PM
Hey Tiaximus Been playing the TiaxPlanetEXAnomalyOH + ImperiumAeterna mod

It is throwing a NullReference Exception screen whenever I try to access a planet with microfactories which has received the first level of upgrade.

Also not sure if this is simply not implemented but microplanet(tiny) expansion doesnt seem to be in the tech tree.

Overall I like the anomaly system and it is very polished, it seems to make the game a bit rough early on and especially seems to slow down the AI as I don't think it really knows how to prioritize colonization based on the new anomalies.

But as I said overall excellent mod and very nicely polished.

UPDATE: I tried the TiaxPlanetEXAnomalyOH mod and as Davea mentions below it appears the issue has to do with the combining of this mod with Imperium Aeterna. Planets with Microfactories work just fine, and the microplanet expansion technology appears without issue.

~Crymson~
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 29, 2012, 7:42:54 PM
It is highly likely that this problem came from merging two mods which change the same (technology) xml file. To confirm, can you reproduce this problem with the unmodified anomaly mod running?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 29, 2012, 8:43:57 PM
I'll try the anomaly mod by itself, not even sure which version of Imperium Aeterna Tiaximus used for the combination as there doesn't seem to be any indication in the mod files or the OP where I got it from.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 12:18:37 AM
It is too bad the game is designed to have only a single mod. It means that whenever somebody combines two mods and there is a problem, then three people need to coordinate to figure out the problem: the author of mod A, the author of mod B, and the person who combined them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 1:03:39 AM
Well as to that, I'm not familiar enough with app coding to do it but in many other games I have modded for over the years community members have created mod loaders.

These can be made as compilers that simply add the code sections of a mod to the existing game code by Grepping the two files and compiling the actual differences.

Or they can be done as a priority compiler that piles one set of code atop another and gives priority to the last file listed.

As I said I don't know enough about application coding to do this myself but I even wonder if this is something the Dev's could incorporate in some form or another. I know Xml allows code section injection as seen in a number of more polished mods where they only include the lines in the file they are either adding or changing, if two code sections have the same header then the game uses the one in the mod over the one in the game. Which is what makes me wonder if the dev's could add something to the mod loading engine to provide prioritized file loading. It would still be far from perfect as anything that uses the exact same sections of code would still blow up.

But still you are right, while this game has alot more moddability than many titles it still is pretty painful to combine mods.

Though if we could get an initiative going for everyone to use sectional code in their mods it would make it much more clear and concise as to what has been changed and what needs to be merged.

~Crymson~
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 1:25:51 AM
If you consider two mods which both change the same file, I highly doubt mod loaders could figure out the proper intention to make both work. I am not sure if you work in software engineering, but this problem happens when multiple developers update the same file and attempt to use a full revision control system to resolve the updates. Sometimes an automatic system will cause an incorrect merge, and the two developers must sit together to figure out the right solution.

Other mod systems do support multiple mods, but those systems do not rely on a small number of text files which must be changed. For example, Civ IV modding has the same problem: if two mods change the same files (which is highly likely) then there is no way to automatically, accurately merge the mods.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 30, 2012, 1:38:21 AM
Yeah, alot of games that have mergeable mods use many hundreds of small files each of which changes a simple element of a single item in the game and the mod managers usually require the user to determine which files get precedence when they load at runtime. Something many users honestly are not cut out to determine.

My time in software engineering was many years ago and TBH I was very happy to move on to IT consulting as coding was driving me bugnuts oO'

Well as time goes on we will surely see the better and larger mods absorbing the best ideas from other and smaller mods. Still a headache but much more doable at the author's end than the users.

This is one reason I for one always encourage everyone to provide their mods as free to use so mod makers can absorb the best elements from each others work resulting in better product for the users and at least to some degree fewer headache inducing merger requests.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 29, 2013, 2:31:01 AM
I'm getting a nullreference exception every time I try to look at a planet that has "Rich Atmosphere"

I am using the mod comboed with Imperium Aeterna.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 29, 2013, 2:50:42 AM
Please note that this mod is marked "compatible with 1.0.38" and it hasn't been updated. That means it will cause all sorts of unpredictable problems on its own. You can confirm this by trying the base mod (without your merging). I bet you will get the same effect. If you have done a merge, you may be interested to try to update this mod to the current release. If done correctly, that "should" fix the problem anyway.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2013, 1:56:41 PM
Clicking on a non-colonized planet with the Horatio Exile anomaly freezes the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 13, 2013, 8:44:09 PM
Can anyone provide the 1.0.38 version of the files this mod modifies? i could try updating it.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 21, 2013, 5:23:14 PM
It may just be me, but I appear to be having a few problems with invading other systems:

Whenever I try to invade systems, no matter how over(or under)whelming my fleets are, it always takes 67 turns to thoroughly invade a system. Is there a fix for this?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 21, 2013, 8:05:00 PM
pottypie wrote:
It may just be me, but I appear to be having a few problems with invading other systems:

Whenever I try to invade systems, no matter how over(or under)whelming my fleets are, it always takes 67 turns to thoroughly invade a system. Is there a fix for this?

You use an old savegame right? Start a fresh game and that should fix it. The last patch had a lot of new stuff in it and that mess up older savegames, causing all kind of bugs like infinite invasion or ships not retreating from system.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment