Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

MP Battles

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Sep 17, 2019, 4:07:53 AM

Hello guys. so ive played alot of civ 6 MP ( 1.8k hours ) :P and ive also played many other 4x/RTS in my time. something that ive seen in other games is the use of the XCOM system vs the real time system in combat between units. so in civ 6 the real time combat really makes the game flow smoothly. gives you that feeling of playing a RTS even tho your playing a 4x. i think for only play this system is very usefull. after playing Planetfall with uses a Xcom like system i really fell un inlove with the game. me and several friends were playing it only for long sessions and something that really bothered me was 3-4 hours in i would have finally got a thriving empire. had my units upgraded and customize. armies standing and ready for war and conquest. once i began my march to find new lands to take someone in the world would begin a war of their own. but during any combat your game would be paused and you were forced to watch there Xcom style battle. these battles normally would last 10-25 mins. and during the course of a real war maybe 3-10 of the these battles would take place. all the while everyone else in the game would simply be forced to pause their game and wait. after 5-7 hours of gameplay many were ready to log of and i would be sat with large armys that were little more useful then glorified scouts as they never got to see combat.

So my point in the above is, ive heard from Humankind is going to adobt a system simlar to this. and it really scares me. but if its tweaked a bit it might work things i think could help If its used.

Allow other players to keep playing their turn while 2 players are in combat mode
Keep combat mode between 2-5 mins Max
Keep in mind overall game speed is more important then perfect stratigy in these in game battles

in the Civ 6 world. we simply use a who ever click first gets a first move in the combat. the combat is based on numbers but is 100% instant. sometimes players can get 3-4 moves off before another can react this style of rush war fair is very fun and it adds new levels of stratigy to this style of game. all id like to ask is you really test both systems out before going into one fully because picking one really removes tactics from the other thanks for reading

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 17, 2019, 6:03:02 AM

I'm not sure how much will be changing in comparison, but a good benchmark for Amplitude's style of "unstacking" army combat is Endless Legend, since a lot of Humankind's features appear to be based on EL's groundwork.

You can absolutely draw battles out if you want, but more often than not the only reason why you would is specifically for the purpose of buying time or stalling the battle into a draw rather than a total loss. I believe you can also set turn timers in the pregame options.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Sep 18, 2019, 3:20:59 PM
dragontyron wrote:

I'm not sure how much will be changing in comparison, but a good benchmark for Amplitude's style of "unstacking" army combat is Endless Legend, since a lot of Humankind's features appear to be based on EL's groundwork.

You can absolutely draw battles out if you want, but more often than not the only reason why you would is specifically for the purpose of buying time or stalling the battle into a draw rather than a total loss. I believe you can also set turn timers in the pregame options.

Plus, you can only go 6 rounds of combat per turn, so it's not like huge battles will take that much more time away from the overworld.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 15, 2019, 10:33:43 AM
blaze051806 wrote:

in the Civ 6 world. we simply use a who ever click first gets a first move in the combat. the combat is based on numbers but is 100% instant. sometimes players can get 3-4 moves off before another can react this style of rush war fair is very fun and it adds new levels of stratigy to this style of game. all id like to ask is you really test both systems out before going into one fully because picking one really removes tactics from the other thanks for reading

I also would like to draw attention to inconsistent speed between development and combat in Civ 6, especially when you play on "Multiplayer speed". I mean your nation growth much faster than war advancement, units have the same points of movement on any speed and you can't update them outside your territory, while you mobilizate your army, it already getting old ;)). Thus according to game speed, it may influence to the value of war. I really hope there will not be this problem in Humankind.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 24, 2019, 5:13:04 PM

I agree, the value of war changes according to game speed in Endless Space and Endless Legend too (this is not good). The way to make this the same across game speed is to affect unit speed. So if the baseline is "Normal" speed and online speed is "Fast", or 2x as fast, then the unit move speed on the metamap should also be twice as fast. Likewise on slower speeds, it should be proportional.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Jan 8, 2020, 4:35:15 PM

While we've seen the comparison to XCom and Age of Wonders quite a few times, the battles in Humankind should not require as much time commitment as either of those games. Furthermore, unlike what some have speculated, the battles do not happen on a separately instanced map. As you can see on the battle screenshot on Steam, the battles happen on the strategic map, so players will not be forced to sit and watch battles they have no interest in.

But we'll go into the details of how wars and battles work at a later time.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Mar 17, 2020, 8:28:19 PM

WARNING: IF MP battles are in Endless LEgend style this game will die online as fast at that game did. Civ style fighting is the only style that works online for turn based games. A game of MP civ takes 3-7h+ as it is. Adding more time for mini combat screens isn't viable. I loved Endless Legend but it died online. I loved AOW Planetfall but it died online. In fact it never had anyone playing it past the frirst week.If Amplitude are smart they will adopt the civ style, perhaps improve it with smart balanced units and player choices and we can have a real competitor to Civ.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Mar 20, 2020, 9:34:23 AM

There is also no fast movement and combat in EL. If this was added it would be a lot more enjoyable than that is is now because it would be a lot faster. 

So adding fast movement and combat to humankind would surely improve the multiplayer quality.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 21, 2020, 1:19:16 PM

While we appreciate your concern, as outlined before the combat system in Humankind will be an iteration on Endless Legend's system.

I would also like to point out that Endless Legend did offer higher animation speeds for combat, but it was a setting during game creation. You could set the "Speed Scale Factor" to (if I recall correctly) 6 times as fast as normal.

Furthermore, in Endless Legend you could issue your orders for the battle, then turn your attention elsewhere to manage your empire. The same will be true in Humankind: You will be able to handle other matters in your empire (including other battles) while your enemy take their turn in a battle.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 21, 2020, 2:10:49 PM

Honestly, EL's combat style was never my cup of tea, but that's because I grew up a Total War man.  Because what Cat o Nine Tails has said, I'm confident it won't be too bad.  I don't remember if there is an autofight mode in EL, but I think it could be useful here. So if I don't care about a particular battle, but my opponent does, I can have the AI make decisions for me while I go manage something else.  Furthermore, this "Battle in the Overworld" is a great idea in my opinion.  This opens up some nice avenues for other players who are interested in the combat.  If you are close enough to the field/have spies/ something else espionage-y, then other players can watch the combat to see unit types and general strategy.  I feel like if Amplitude makes spying on other people's battles more accessible to other players, then it would give the waiting players something else beneficial to do while waiting for battles to finish.  Possibly even if the spying player could get something tangible out of watching an engagement, such as a tech boost, military buff, or something, then it wouldn't make sitting and waiting for somebody else's battle to finish so painfully long.  It would be something everybody (but the loser) benefits from.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 21, 2020, 2:55:34 PM
LeMecDePhalanx wrote:

Honestly, EL's combat style was never my cup of tea, but that's because I grew up a Total War man.  Because what Cat o Nine Tails has said, I'm confident it won't be too bad.  I don't remember if there is an autofight mode in EL, but I think it could be useful here. So if I don't care about a particular battle, but my opponent does, I can have the AI make decisions for me while I go manage something else.  Furthermore, this "Battle in the Overworld" is a great idea in my opinion.  This opens up some nice avenues for other players who are interested in the combat.  If you are close enough to the field/have spies/ something else espionage-y, then other players can watch the combat to see unit types and general strategy.

Yes, EL had the autoresolve, though I don't remember how it was handled in multiplayer if one player hit autoresolve and the other wanted to fight, but if you got dragged into a manual battle you didn't care about, the units did always have pre-assigned orders (unless on Hold Position) and you could just hit "play". Humankind will have an auto-combat option as well if you don't want to control the battle yourself.

And you are right, the "Battle in the Overworld" system does open up interesting possibilities, like... Oh wait, I'm not supposed to talk about that yet. ;-)

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 29, 2020, 8:05:53 PM

This is a real shame as it appears that Amplitude are following Firaxis by focusing on single player first.  By not having unit/hex based fights , online play will take much longer per turn and this will stifle online games. A vibrant online competitive community will not thrive. Most players are not willing to sit down and play an online game for more than 3 hours. Currently, a 6 player game of Civ 6 with simultaneous turns takes 3hours roughly and scales up from there depending on the nuumber of players. I really wanted Age of Wonders Planetfall to be great online but guess what killed it...

I'm not saying remove the seperate EL or Xcom style fights form the single player game but remove them for online or at least give us an option and give us Civ style fighting online.

Developing the game with online competitve in mind will enrich the strategy of the game rather than focusing on single player and AI since no AI can replicate humankind!

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 30, 2020, 2:19:10 AM

Just to provide a different opinion: yes, please focus on singleplayer and make the battles interesting! In comparison to Endless Legend, I was always bored by Civ 5 & 6, including their battles. I want to immerse myself into the world and am not interested in battles that are over by the click of a button. To be fair, even the battles in Endless Legend are the least interesting aspect of the game for me, and I’m only now – after almost 200 hours in singleplayer – experiencing my first multiplayer session with an IRL friend, that we are approaching like a singleplayer game over several days. And it’s great fun! It’s good to have someone to talk with while playing and to see what they are doing in the game, so I’m glad multiplayer exists. And if I have to wait for his battles to finish, I have plenty to do … planning the next turns, reading up on the lore, marvelling at the beautiful art and the world of Auriga …

In short: different people like different things, so it’s good that we have different approaches to the 4X genre, isn’t it? If you want another 4X game with a Civ-like battle system, be sure to check out Old World, which is due to release into Early Access within a week on the Epic Games Store.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 30, 2020, 7:48:07 PM
GaelicWarrior wrote:

This is a real shame as it appears that Amplitude are following Firaxis by focusing on single player first.  By not having unit/hex based fights , online play will take much longer per turn and this will stifle online games. A vibrant online competitive community will not thrive. Most players are not willing to sit down and play an online game for more than 3 hours. Currently, a 6 player game of Civ 6 with simultaneous turns takes 3hours roughly and scales up from there depending on the nuumber of players. I really wanted Age of Wonders Planetfall to be great online but guess what killed it...

I'm not saying remove the seperate EL or Xcom style fights form the single player game but remove them for online or at least give us an option and give us Civ style fighting online.

Developing the game with online competitve in mind will enrich the strategy of the game rather than focusing on single player and AI since no AI can replicate humankind!

But there are unit/hex based fights. Did you not look at the picture? The units are fighting on the overworld map like in the Civ series, except instead of one action per turn they get three so there is a bit more complexity than Civ but without making all the other players wait for a battle to finish like in EL.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment