Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 7:34:47 PM

The military Emblematic Quarters (the English "Stronghold" for example) that replace Garrison may actually be weaker than the garrison - 

* If I truly want to fortify a city/territory - I can place multiple garrisons (near the city, or terrain choke points), but only a single EQ

* The tech tree gives Garrisons additional +5 stability later on ("Standing Army" tech) but this does not apply to the military EQ that replaces garrison. (I think the same is correct for "Military Architecture" tech which further upgrades Garrisons).

I would suggest - 

* Allow building garrisons *in addition* to the single unique military EQ

* Apply the garrison tech tree upgrades to the military EQ that replaces garrison

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 7:53:23 PM

Ok, so here we are with plenty of new Victor feedback. I'd like to first say that HK is surely shaping up to be a fantastic game, and this OpenDev already shown a great deal of improvement over the Lucy build. I'll focus this report on the issues I found, but this by no way means HK isn't a good or fun game, just that I'm pointing to what can be made better before release. I'll also try to not discuss bugs like the various graphical glitches or the fact that many Early Modern Emblematic Quarters could be built in multiples per territory since by now I assume you're well aware of those. I'll try (key word here is try) to present suggestions to each issue, but of course, my knowledge of civics, technologies and cultures is limited by the scope of the opendevs revealed so far. So, without further ado, lets dive in:

- Economy

- Issue: In Victor, there were two big changes with early science and money. First, Outposts, City Centers and Admin Center do not exploit money and science anymore. Second, the base per-pop yield of workers was increased from 4 to 6. Those changes, together, made it so that the early money/science was almost completely dependent on pops (either through trader and researchers, either through "per follower" religious tenets). Pops became the key aspect to snowballing then, making early civilizations that can have a big pop growth (such as Harappans and Olmecs, for example) disproportionately strong. Solution:  Make City Centers and Admin Centers exploit science and money again (the change to Outposts not exploiting them is great and should stay). This will open different settling strategies for early science and money, and allow cities that focus on military and or building through forced labor not be as much screwed in early tech and money.

- Issue: Non-scaling infrastructures are much worse than the scaling ones. Most infrastructures do scale (I'm calling "scaling infrastructures" all infrastructures that have effects on the vein of "+x% something" or "+X something on something else"), but the few ones that don't (they are the influence infrastructures with only +2 influence on city center, and the money infrastructure that gives +3 money on city center) really stick out as being quite bad, even on the early game. I believe that the only infrastructures that should not scale with something in the game should be the Stability ones (Public Fountain, Acqueduct). Giving a scaling to all infrastructures avoids this pitfall of having a really weak infrastructure amidst all the great ones. Solution: Change the following infrastructures as such: a) Levy Administration: from "+3 money on main plaza" to "+1 money per population"; b)  Pottery Workshop: from "+2 influence on main plaza" to "+1 influence on district producing industry"; c) Theater: from "+2 influence on main plaza" to "+2 influence per territory"; d) Playhouse: from "+2 influence on main plaza" to "+1 influence per population".

- Issue: City creation was dependent only on outpost industry. While it made sense in the outpost  construction queue (with food adding to pops and industry building extractors and harbours), when you wanted to turn an outpost into a city it was harsh to have to wait 15, 20 or more turns for your outpost to become a city because you settled on a high food spot. This promoted a meta of having outposts on high production places become your city centers supported by high food outposts attached to them as extra territories, which may be counterproductive based on the geography and the culture you're playing as. Solution: Have both food and industry contribute to the city creation bar. The outposts with higher FIMSI (which, for outposts, is only food and industry) would become cities faster, regardless if being high food, high industry, or mixed spots.

- Issue: Settlers allowed players to bypass completely the influence cost of creating new cities. Settlers are great idea and a good way to jumpstart your economic development when founding new cities, and even if they do come only in the midgame they have a nice niche to fill. However, building cities with settles completely bypass not only the influence cost of creating an outpost but also the big influence costs of actually founding the city. Solution: Attach a influence cost to the "Create City" action when performed by a Settler. To account for the added steps of actually building the settler and moving it to the place you want the city to be, I think it is reasonable to have it be at a discount rate when compared to creating cities normally - I suggest a 25% discount on the influence cost of the outpost + creating a city.

This is a post in a series of connected posts about the Victor Opendev. You can find the posts discussing other topics below:

Naval & Air: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39509-feedback-naval-gameplay?page=1#post-315474

Religion: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39525-feedback-religion?page=2#post-315475

Diplomacy: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39502-feedback-diplomacy?page=2#post-315476

Combat & Land Armies: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39501-feedback-combat?page=2#post-315477

Civics: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39508-feedback-civics?page=1#post-315478

Cultures: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39500-feedback-cultures?page=2#post-315479

Independent Peoples: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39526-feedback-independent-people?page=1#post-315481

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 10:32:46 PM

Gold is as OP as it was in Endless Legend and (somewhat less so) Endless Space 2

Lord knows how to solve this, but preventing (hopefully forever) the full buyout of any item unless you use population will probably solve this rather well.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 1:29:35 AM
sresk wrote:
Litany wrote:

The first response on this thread. Go read it if you like.
[...]

Wow I had a completely opposite experience from you. Literally every single thing I completely disagree with. Both tech and era still too fast, ai still didn't expand enough... Seriously everything I would post is completely backwards from what you posted, this was a huge step in the right direction but didn't go far enough.
[...]

fwiw I think the pace is too quick too, It's just hampering city development to slow down the game pace seems like very much the wrong solution. And it's clearly not worked.

In consequent games I've been doing much better skipping out of the Neolithic quickly, and settling spots I know are good. It's requiring a lot more abusive plays to achieve a good city but it's no longer achieved via the standard FIMS districts and my engines are now entirely based around a few key emblematic quarters which I rush to get out, and stability buildings, or even better, holy sites. I'm not sure if that's the intent but the only non-EQ districts I go out of my way to build, up to the medieval era, are Science districts. I don't feel like I need to plan out my city or optimise my territory to achieve this at all.

I've played on all difficulties at this point, there's another thread for discussing AI but it's a noticeably more sedate game on the lower half of the difficulty menu, which let's you build up in a way I consider fun. I think building cities should be fun at all difficulties though. I want to see the game have a low skill floor.

I think it may be dangerous for the game at large to compare different peoples experiences directly next to each other, you all may be much better at the game than me, or much worse. That's why I emphasise the playstyle I enjoy, a passive low confrontation city builder with some indirect competition is what I most enjoy, which is conversely how I expect a lot of multiplayer games between friends to go, at least until the end-game. And for my first few games on Victor OpenDev, I was feeling really hampered by some of the changes. I have gotten better as I've played more, but it's been achieved by abusing map knowledge & things other people have pointed out are powerful in this very thread.

Seeing where other people think the economy/pacing needs improvements, highlights to me that the changes that I found most irritating may not have been the systems that needed to be changed. The two things I'd change back are 1. Main plaza exploitation, the difference it makes is so minor in the long-term but can really help you get rolling, If main plaza spam is a concern maybe make it so just your first city can exploit all FIMSI. And 2. revert the new basic district placement restrictions so they can be placed adjacent to other constructions, optimising an individual district placement for an additional +2 FIMSI output is, evidently, not what's causing pacing issues overall.

I miss my broken all-EQ cities from Lucy but I appreciate why the quantity restrictions are now there. Some of the EQs need to have their placement restrictions re-examined though. Discovering Cyclopean fortress needed to be city attached despite being garrison-like, and a land unit spawn in my first Victor game, I still find unintuitive.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 1:35:50 AM

Since savegames were asked for in general, I think I can drop some here that have a broken economy, gold is not the only one that breaks.

First here is a production only focused game with Egyptians -> Maya -> Khmer -> Mughals

production turn150 humankind difficulty.ctr

reached 21.7k production in the capital with the Builder ability activated and 10.8k production without it. It can produce multiple districts every single turn.

Second save is a merchant only game with Nubians -> Aksumites -> Ghanaians -> Dutch
Merchant HKdiff turn150.ctr

this one I could have ended a bit after turn 100 but kept going until turn 150, I reached 72k gold per turn income and the fame goals view shows a negative gold value.

I had so much money and time that I sailed to the new continent and made it all one big city with all the money I had.
Also because of the early trading affecting AI relations heavily, I have fought 1 defensive battle against a brown AI scout in that entire 150 turn game. All of the AI just agreed to an alliance with me. Traderoutes also boosted religion spread and eliminated every other religion from the game for the first time in my games.

Then lastly is the save where I spread the focus to setup everything high population, high production and high science with Egyptians -> Celts -> Khmer -> Joseon
Joseon Turn 128 full industrial tree researched, lots of production.ctr (humankind difficulty)

the egyptians allowed me to setup the cities faster with a little more influence helping the religion's influence boosts. Celts' purpose was just setting up the cities with Nemetons for food every population and Khmer for the same reason boosting industry.
Built lots of holy sites and wonders and then researched the whole Industrial tech tree as Joseon by turn 128, all thanks to the tier 3 tenet that gives science per follower for every holy site.

These are all examples of how unbalanced the economy still is. Religion's holy site bonus being the most unbalanced part of all this. You can look at the yields and graphs on these saves if it helps analyzing what goes wrong with the balance. The Humankind difficulty AI struggles to keep up with my economy from the very beginning.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 2:01:19 AM

I still feel like you progress through eras too fast. Science is lagging behind, but goes at a much more appropriate pace. City production is also at a good pace. Money gets out of control rather quickly and without me doing anything other than trade. I like the idea of era specific cultures, but the game feels like it's rushing me through them and that kills my enjoyment a bit. I'm hoping this is just an Open Dev thing as you want us to experience more eras in the 150 turn limit. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 3:19:39 AM
Litany wrote:

And 2. revert the new basic district placement restrictions so they can be placed adjacent to other constructions, optimising an individual district placement for an additional +2 FIMSI output is, evidently, not what's causing pacing issues overall.

You could say that again, I do wish Amplitude brings back the more free-form district placement of Lucy, the only thing that needs to stay restricted I'd say is Emblematic Districts. Although like you said there are still some weird ones like the Cyclopean Fortress. FIMS on city center would also be great, combined with that other post about city creation time being based off food AND industry I can see the early game of humankind feeling a lot more fun.

Also I still think it would be cool if Amplitude at least tried to experiment with District Money upkeep instead of ever increasing production cost.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 3:21:57 AM

After playing several games, it does seem like science is always lagging one era behind the current era. The tech tree pacing feels quite good to me, and I think it is the era progression that needs to be slower. In latest game for example, on turn 76 I'm a couple of turns into the "Early Modern" era but only now starting to research the fourth tech in the "Medieval" era. ("Babylonians" => "Maya" => "English" => "Joseon", 'Humankind' difficulty).

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 4:30:36 AM

There have been a lot of comments on how money seems to be the greatest resource since it enable massed buyouts and is easy to obtain and abuse through unique cultural bonuses. What I've seen is that a lot of these comments point to how it enables huge bursts of industry and yet is easier to obtain than industry is - making it a better short and long term form of production. One solution to this could be the implementation of a sort of inflation mechanic - where consecutive expenditures of money would cause a general increase in prices in that city (or empire) for a handful of turns. I.e. for every 100 gold spent increase all gold costs by 1% for x turns. This would make gold just as efficient as an immediate buyout tool for individual items whilst limiting its efficacy as an industry alternative. On a side note, the OpenDev has been really fun so far :).

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 6:45:50 AM
Romarocky wrote:

It's like there is a lot to do but no time to do things. Instead if you focus on economy you can just buy everything you see.

This short comment absolutely nails it. Insta-buying is such a detriment to gameplay. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 11:37:53 AM

If many different strategies are broken, can you say that there actually is a broken strategy? The biggest problem I see right now is that the AI absolutely can't keep up.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 11:46:21 AM

I have noticed that you don't really even need to focus on Money in particular for it to spiral out of control, in my militarist culture only game I started accumulating 3k per turn despite not having any money bonuses, neither from culture nor tenants or even civics (Although I did lean towards individualism for a small % boost). This was all from moving population onto money(where the cap was only 6 traders for most of my cities) And the AI buying my luxury and strategic goods, It completely eclipsed the money I was making from stacking the Viking Naust raiding bonus and it felt incredibly weird seeing the 7 turn raids only produce half of what I make every turn.

Industry you have to put everything towards getting, and you still lag behind agrarian and merchant cultures in terms of production. Changing the base per/pop gather rate to 5 from the current 6 would be nice. Making the production cost of certain buildings lower/more manageable so industrial nations can produce extra with their industry would also help. As for fixing money I already proposed ideas on that.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 2:14:10 AM
Laliloluhla wrote:

Also I think Chopping trees is incredibly pointless at the current stage of development. You only receive 10 industry after multiple turns of cutting down a forest tile. To make matters worse, you can't use this for the one scenario where ten production could make a difference, which is founding outposts. If you could chop down trees while erecting an outpost to save some turns it could at least have a use there as outposts only need 35 industry, but as of right now It's a waste of time and effort.

Absolutely! Chopping down trees yield so little Production, to the point it feels ridiculous. Woodland tile or Forest tile generates (with proper infrastructure upgrade) 4 or more Industry per turn, which means that only in 2 or 3 turns, much more Industry is harvested than chopping down trees. Removing trees should generate much more Production, so that it has clear advantage and disadvantage.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 8:35:00 AM

Here is what i experienced, on the hardest difficulty:

-Citybuilding/Unitsbuilding: In the first 30 turns the pacing was good, but after at least turn 50 my cites were steamrolling

-> One reason was the possibility to buy out everything immediately. Maybe you should change it the way it was in your previous games, when the construction finished the next turn. Even after buying it.

-> Improvements like walls, etc. should cost upkeep. There is no reason to think about what to build, because gaining production is pretty easy (which is okay to some extend). So you just build what you can, which is almost finished after one turn. Upkeep like in Endless Space would at least in the beginning force you to think what is really needed. Also you should think about making improvements more expensive to build/maintain if the city is bigger. I played with one big city - as stability was not a real handicap - and it produced even Wonders in a couple of turns.

-> Stability was no handicap because the theatre district (forgot the name) did not cost any money to build/maintain. As it is easy to gain a lot of production it is possible to build a handful of these districts in tree or four turns. Those districts, like the garrison district should cost upkeep.

-> Some mentioned that units should not cost upkeep, since they already cost population. I disagree, they should cost even a lot more! My army upkeep so so ridiculous small that i almost forgot i had one.

-Diplomacy:

-> Okay so far. But it is way to easy to get a vassal. Someone declared war on me and I won it just by killing his attaking armys. So far so good, I like the war support mechanism. Its comprehensible that a bad war has to get to an end since the population ist not willingly to fight in it. But without even getting troops on my enemy soil I was able to make him a vassal. This should be harder. Maybe its necessary to have bigger army size or that its not possible to vassalise someone who has more than one city. At least it should be harder, because having a vassal is gamebraking. His tribute (only money i guess?) was so high that i was able to buy out almost everything I needed. Futhermore he did not try to set himself free, even after 50 turns.

Conclusion: All buildings and some districts should cost upkeep, getting vassals is way to easy and they are to strong. I really want to love this game but its too easy yet.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 8:34:41 PM

Seems like a lot of us have same thoughts.

Small continuation of my Egyptians/Byzantine impressions:

Gold:  broken 

Just to be clear - in the early game money are relatively scarce and important resource. Moreover, oeny bonuses from market quarters are quite thematic and require good positioning to be effective, also yearly gold infrastructure can be useful as well,

However,  the more game progresses the more gold you have due to the following:

1. trade routes - as you can sell a lot of your luxuries and buy a lot of them easily, your cities benefit massively from trading (while the gold per route is small, number of routes is huge)

2. Gold from population - the bigger your cities become, the more gold you're getting from traders slots (+ infrastructure) + some Unique districts are giving you a lot of gold (hell, +50 from hyppodrome).

3. There is nothing to spend gold on! - unit maintenance is small and incompatible even if you build a decent aries or navies, no district costs, , no need to pay your independent people allies, pay for luxuries or anything like that..... your treasury is just filling quicker and quicker (wish my investment account would work like that in real life ;)). There should be costs to run the mation, maintain cities, units, trade routes, religious objects etc.

4. The ability to instantly buy district or infrastructure  (esp muliple times) should be limited to 50% and the rest needs to be produced. Otherwise the power of gold is insane and unrealistic.

Influence: kinda broken as well

While nfluence was really really important early game (and that was cool) after you settled the continent, set up your cities and make your culture staable there is again nothing to spend it apart from wonders. You kinda forget that it's in the game  TBH I wasn't even sure why I need it and should I build anything influencing it all. 

While it's nice to see cultures competing over each other by the amount of influence they produce, there is pretty much nothing to spend it on (cost of assimilating or setting u new cities are tiny comparing to how much influence you can accumulate). 

As with gold we need to spend it on something, it has to be drained by e.g. your cities. diplomatic actions, culture choices, Idk some form of world congress.

Luxuries:  biggest issue for now

To keep it short: Luxuries are abundant, everyone can buy them and the costs are tiny (and no gpt is weird) and if applying correctly stacking bonuses + infra giving you uber combos for the development. Also insane numbers of trade routes. In my opinion this is the biggest issue and it has to be reworked.

Potential solutions:

1. You can trade luxury/strategic resource only once (mb even it means you're trading it away completely).

2. There should be gold per turn costs for buying luxurry and strategic resource and the AI should recognize good/bad deals and be able to bargain,

3. Most crazy luxuries with mostly bonuses "+ x to all cities" should be nerfed, like "+ x to three cities" so you will be forced to buy more copies of the same luxury or at least make diminishing returns from another copy of the same luxury resource.

And one more thing:

Yields per pop - with variety of luxuries and infrastructure even by early medieval the benefits of putting citizens on industry/gold or science (and food to some extent as well) are way biger than constructing the new ditrict which means that you can focus primarily on city growth and ignore district building to a major extent (well ok, you need additional slots).

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 10:39:08 PM

Overall, I think the core of the economic system is quite solid, and mostly what is required is some balancing.  To follow on with some of the topics raised above:

Influence:  this can be solved by reducing the size of territories so there are more of them on the map and the expansion / border wars stage of the game lasts longer.  Influence is a limiter until there are no territories to claim, at which point it stockpiles.

Yields per Pop: this is the easiest thing to balance.  These used to be lower, then were raised to make Food more important, now its over-shot a little, but can easily be tweaked down.

Luxuries:  I think these are generally okay.  The trade system is a core design element.  Having all resources apply in all cities is a necessary element in HK, or else it distorts the territory attachment/extra city balance.  Instead of worrying about nerfing luxuries, I'd recommend balancing the rest of the systems around knowing that luxuries are going to be acquired.  That means limiting the base yields per pop so that they don't explode after luxuries bonuses are added, and setting the stability costs of districts with an understanding that you will get more and more stability from luxuries as the game goes along.

Money:  This is the biggest problem child in the economic system, to my mind.  The decision to not require maintenance to run your empire was a bold design vision, but its left Money as a resource with no purpose.  Most of the time it substitutes for Industry, but it has so few unique uses of its own that its in a weird place, and I don't see way to truly solve it without restoring its traditional 4x role as the yield you need to pay for everything else (i.e. maintenance).  Either that or nerf sources of Money to the point where the infrastructure that adds 3 Money to your main plaza becomes an interesting option.

At the end of the day, though, even if nothing changed, the system hangs together quite well, now.  Its a bit too easy to get an excess of everything right now, but as some of the outsized sources of yields get brought into line, the economic system seems strong enough to support the rest of the gameplay quite well.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 10:59:11 PM

After a couple of playthroughs, I think there should be some way to address the balance between rapid development and district spamming in the current build.

Judging from the Industrial Era techs and infrastructures, late game does encourage you to build up district clusters or even district carpets, instead of simply replying on exploitation.

On the other hand, there is not really a downside of district spamming; you can cover every single tile in a territory with districts and swimming in yields with not penalty. There are just so many things provide stability, with -10 stability per district one can still happy spamming. And, I would say, able to spam in an unlimited way greatly reduced the value of careful planning in a strategy game.

I roughly remember there is an unused district cap per city. Maybe it can be a soft cap with scaling stability penalty on the city, unless you really invested in stability.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 11:14:16 PM

There is also the issue of the common's quarter being a very easy stackable supply of stability. Common's quarters almost single-handedly allow ever increasing stability amounts due to their adjacency bonus stacking so well. This is on top of all the existing ways to gain stability, together making it a non-issue past the early game when it should be a real wall to continued growth.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 1, 2021, 9:46:44 AM
TravlingCanuck wrote:

Influence:  this can be solved by reducing the size of territories so there are more of them on the map and the expansion / border wars stage of the game lasts longer.  Influence is a limiter until there are no territories to claim, at which point it stockpiles.

Make Influence pressure actually a cost : put a slider to decide what percentage of Influence you are generating goes to stockpile and the rest goes to pressure. This way you have to decide : more influence set aside for growth will put you at risk of being influence-bested by other empires (there have to be negative consequences) while privileging pressure to gain advantages will hamper your ability to buy things (wonders, territories, independents etc.).

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 1, 2021, 11:42:11 AM
Lucullo wrote:

Make Influence pressure actually a cost : put a slider to decide what percentage of Influence you are generating goes to stockpile and the rest goes to pressure. This way you have to decide : more influence set aside for growth will put you at risk of being influence-bested by other empires (there have to be negative consequences) while privileging pressure to gain advantages will hamper your ability to buy things (wonders, territories, independents etc.).

More easy than make a slider is to have pressure key off influence stockpile, not generation per turn. This way the more you use it the more open you are to other empire's culture, and the more you hoard it the more you influence other cultures.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment