Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
May 11, 2021, 5:54:08 PM

Generally, the economy goes at a pace that seems in line with the progression in the historical ages. However, a significant part of this growth is related to population growth. This ensures that investing in wonders or religion does not stop the economy from growing even if it prevents the player to invest in building and ceremonies. Building and ceremonies could probably provide slightly larger bonuses to incentivise players to choose them more frequently... and boost the growth of the economy.

Adjacency bonuses of certain neighborhoods are huge. This is on the one hand a nice approach to force players take into account other aspects while shaping a city than strategic aspects for possible future sieges. On the other hand, this could lead to stereotypes gameplays because of that port-placement-you-cannot-miss or this way-of-combining-the-byzantine-horse-track-with-the-science-district.

In terms of UI, the description of the options available in the cities should systematically give the indication whether bonuses are per turn while the ceremony is active, by turn forever, etc.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 22, 2021, 7:24:09 PM

A thought on gold: I've seen several Victor complaints as how gold was too strong, and how it made trivial gaining not only merchant stars, but also builder stars (specially with the carthage/phoenician discounts), so I'd like to hear your opinion: Should district buyout with gold be allowed? If gold can only buyout infraestructures/units/repeatables, it'll still be strong and useful but would make industry a necessity for builder stars thus reducing the gold exploit potential, not to mention it makes the district industry cost inflation a much more pressing concern. So if you can do it before august, please test a build where district gold buyout is disabled. I don't know if it would make for a better balance between builders and merchants, but only testing can say.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 23, 2021, 3:29:01 AM
docktorkain wrote:

A thought on gold: I've seen several Victor complaints as how gold was too strong, and how it made trivial gaining not only merchant stars, but also builder stars (specially with the carthage/phoenician discounts), so I'd like to hear your opinion: Should district buyout with gold be allowed? If gold can only buyout infraestructures/units/repeatables, it'll still be strong and useful but would make industry a necessity for builder stars thus reducing the gold exploit potential, not to mention it makes the district industry cost inflation a much more pressing concern. So if you can do it before august, please test a build where district gold buyout is disabled. I don't know if it would make for a better balance between builders and merchants, but only testing can say. 

I think disallowing district buyout is a little extreme and arbitrary. The solution I think is sensible would be to have things take a turn to complete after buyout, limiting the player to one buyout per turn in each city, and slightly delaying the reward for buying out. It's in line with most other 4x games, and while the current system with it's insta-buying tons of stuff is fun, it definitely shows why other 4xes don't allow it.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 23, 2021, 11:44:22 AM

I dont know... we already cant buyout cities and shared projects with Gold, and prohibiting districts would extend that rule to "cant buyout any in-map structures". This idea of 1 buyout per city per turn is also interesting, however, especially because it would transform completely the military meta, as you would not be able to summon big armies instantly if you had banked gold. Anyway i dont have a definitive answer for that,  only testing can say what feels better.

EDIT: having buyout take a turn and making the phoenician LT be "your units buyouts are instant" would nicely tie it with the defensive background of the phoenician cities while also keeping  it related to buyouts and making it distinct from Carthage's discount (btw 50% is too much)   

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 10:26:51 PM

It looks like the new closed beta OpenDev drastically reduced the ability to expand early game, from what I can tell. I used to be able to get a city with a 3-link territory and the start of a second city fairly early on (as a non-influence culture), but now I'm struggling to get the influence to even get the 3-link.

Might just be misremembering though; maybe the last map had some close +Inf luxuries or something that I didn't pay attention to.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 18, 2021, 12:18:41 PM

I feel like below is a good reference to a feature almost unique to this game a lot of us would love to see included in the final game, rather than be lost to a mechanic scoped at previous games..

"The additional restrictions to district placements feel like a backwards step, the freedom in Lucy to build around extractors, ports and other distant districts which weren't tied to the core city was an excellent mechanism to balance out for a bad initial placement or to exploit good tiles."

Also, despite the many difficulties. We should be able to create custom game difficulties and "modifiers" with custom turn limits, victory conditions and the ability to customize every game setting of the world including map size, resources and so on. As maybe an advanced setting, much more in depth than civilization game's ability to customize everything.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment