Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
May 4, 2021, 6:44:29 PM

Can I just say I really appreciate Civic design like this because it changes so much about playing the game. Now Globalism is the better civic in this case, these aren't balanced and isolationism should provide something of its own (maybe allowing internal trade routes/better internal trade like in civ or endless games) but I really like the concepts on display here.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 4, 2021, 6:57:30 PM

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/206-opendev/threads/40084-population-buyout-or-working-to-death-ideological-compatibility?page=1#post-316761

I also think it'd be a good idea to tie disabling forced labour to a civic rather than a tech as it is now.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 4, 2021, 7:58:24 PM

I liked the civics and how they were played in general. For example the categories make sense.

I think there could be some improvements, though:

- If you have influence from another culture in your empire, then there should be interaction between the civics. Like the Osmosis but stronger: If the neighbor is strong (large territoriy, rich, ahead in tech tree, treaties or alliance between both players maybe, etc. and have different civics, then there should be a disire of my people to adopt civics the neighbours have. the higher the difference they strive for, the bigger the discomfort of my people, resulting in stability malus.

- I would like to see what triggers the civic cards. It will be clear anyways at some point when people played enough, so it could be made transparent from the beinning.

- You can get higher fame scores by staying longer in the old culture. Maybe there could be an advantage in changing early (except having more cultures to chose from) like being granted an additional civic card you can chose yourself on the change of coultures.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 5, 2021, 7:43:36 PM

Civic points are accumulated far too quickly in relation to the number of civics available, as in most game I had around 4-6 points lying around unspent. Compounding this is the fact that the requirements to unlock each civic are unknown, and many didn't feel like there was much of an impact to make a choice on. I rarely put a point into the Independent Peoples civic and I don't foresee a reason why I would ever want to put a point into either side of the Irreligion civic.

Some Civics feel a little one-sided in terms of the options available. For Founding Myths, especially early in the game when Influence is so important and can be hard to come by, Natural Right just feels like the most obvious choice. Same for Legitimacy, Codified Laws always feels like it will get more mileage than Customary Laws, considering that getting Celebrating on a new city is so temporary and at the time when you least need it, unless you immediately attach a bunch of outposts to it... but even then, you'll probably want Codified Laws anyway. Something like Customary Laws could be a lot more meaningful if new cities got a big food and production boost along with Celebrating, or something like that. Unlocking Procession through Communal Rites is also kind of a no-brainer compared to Personal Rites.

Then there are kinda meaningless Civics like Religious Minorities, which should really be based on the number of followers of a different religion within your Empire... because right now it only takes effect if the religious "minority" in a territory is actually the majority, at least as I read it. Even still, It would need a greater effect for me to care one way or the other about it, especially because it's based on a minority of your population. Scientific Facts and a few other also have meh options on either side.

One Civic I really don't like is Press Freedom, because with so many Civics points and so little value to them, Freedom of Speech is useless and Propaganda just turns off a potentially interesting part of the game. Also, plenty of revolutions have occurred throughout history whether or not their populations have been massively propagandized.

I like the direction that Civics like Slaves are going in, because it incentivizes you to play in different ways depending on your choice. That said, in Victor ransacking took too long to make War Slaves worth it, and I had no need of Commons Quarters, but even if I did, we would need a far better bonus to Industry to make Criminal Slaves worth taking.

On Homeland vs. Globalism, the %Food per Alliance would need to be 3 or 4 to make it worth going in that direction, as otherwise you need 5 Alliances to even equal Homeland's bonus, and anything that gives a conditional bonus per X should have the chance to outstrip a bonus that's always active with a lot less effort than that. 

Liberty vs. Authority is also not great, because between a choice of having it take longer for my territories to convert to another influence, and gaining influence, which also makes it harder to convert my territory, I'm going to take the influence (same goes for the Cultural Blessing civic).

My only real criticism of the other two axes is that neither end feels very impactful. I think all the effects could be greater, and they should lead to or have a chance of triggering different types of dilemmas or interactions with other nations.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 6, 2021, 8:58:09 PM

I like overall the ideologies bonus changes, but i feel like Authority isnt good.

Authority is only aobut delaying being converted, and feel like a 'loser' ideology, and plain influence just seems better.

One alternative i see could be instead to make it more resistnat to culutre conversion, not just delaying it but making other require more influence to convert you. So liberty could still be plain influence but authroity for example receive -X% influence from foreign empire on YOUR territories

It would keep the protection aspect and bee less effective to convert others or build wonders but make it feels more long term viable.

The satibility for middle is a good idea but maybe it makes it too perful when everything stay in the middle the stab is still to easy, maybe other stab balcne could handle that however

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 7, 2021, 6:03:31 PM
Laliloluhla wrote:

Can I just say I really appreciate Civic design like this because it changes so much about playing the game. Now Globalism is the better civic in this case, these aren't balanced and isolationism should provide something of its own (maybe allowing internal trade routes/better internal trade like in civ or endless games) but I really like the concepts on display here.

Yes - I think this is the right way to do civics

I would only effects like this (that change, enable, disable game functions) and would remove or change any civics that provide modifiers

These are impactful changes that can drive narrative and are not available anywhere else in the game giving civics a unique flavor

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 10, 2021, 12:26:23 AM

Overall, I liked the civics themselves. I found that each choice coul be valuable for different playstyles. Granted, some of them are overpowered. The one (procession?) that basically allows you to ignore stability should be nerfed heavily: maybe give a flat +20 or +30 stability? That way it is still useful in the early game but you quickly need to find other sources of stability. I also find civics that give influence per territory in the very early game (is that a civic? I remember seeing one like this in religion, another along the ideology axis, but I can't remember if a there was an actual civic with this effect) very powerful: I was able to quickly become influent over the Olmecs, which are supposed to be good at the influence game thanks to this, and then I encircled them pretty easily, because I made a whole lot of influence combining these 3. 

Another problem are the civic points: at the beginning, in the ancient and classical, you unlock civics fast enough, so that you can use your points for the ones you liked the most, whereas from the medieval era onward, I unlocked very few civic and quickly foun myself buying civics I had no interest for, just to optimize the ideology axis, and then to make stocks of civic points because I had nothing to buy. Maybe reduce the generation of civic points, or increase the number of civic you unlock in these later era? I don't know if it is tied to somme actions you do, but if it is the case, the fact that we have no idea what to do to unlock more civics is not helping. Also, speaking of civics unlocking, irrelion arrives way too early (I often got it as the second religious civic to unlock) and is not very clear about what it does.

But overall, I like the civics as they are.

One thing that disappointed me, however, are the ideology axis. They do not feel very important, and in my opinion they should be very important. I did not know where to share it, so I will leave it here because they are strongly tied to civics. Some thoughts:

- One part of the problem is that we can't really see the impact it has on diplomacy. I did not see any difference between civilisations that distrusted me because of ideologies and those who didn't. Maybe it has a real  impact though, it was just not visible enough. Maybe add a line in the breakout of their opinion? (for exemple something like "They dislike your political opinions"). I also did not found how to check the ideologies of other empires, which limits to what extent I can use ideologies in diplomacy.

- Another thing are that the boni are not significant: they are small additions to your empire, and surely 10% is not game changing. I would have made the boni significantly stronger. Of course, if the boni were stronger, the 10 stability won't be any useful to push players towards the center. That's why there should also be some drawbacks to every ideology, and strong drawbacks. It also seems more natural and makes sense for the gameplay: by going far towards a side, you specialize yourself: you become really good in one field but very weak in another. If you want to be good at both, you stay in the center. Right now, since there are no drawbacks, the only reason to stay in the center is to keep the 20 stability, but at one point percentage-based boni will necessarily become way more important than flat stability, because for exemple 2 additionnal research quarters would not outweigh the 10% more science if you generate enough science. An exemple of great bonus with a strong malus would be something like: "+50% science, applied after the other multipliers, but -4 stability per technology researched unless you have adopted irreligion" for progress: 50% more science is insane, but you know that if you go to this point, you will have to either commit a lot of ressources to keep stability going or to give up your religion. It really impacts how you will play the game.

- If you make the boni greater, it might be a good idea to add more steps on each axis, rather than just two on each side.

- Also, another way to push players towards the center would be to make the drawbacks increase more rapidly than the advantages. If I have already decided that 10 stability, -20% money and +20% industry are better than 20 stability, I will probablly also think that -40% money an +40% industry are better than 10 stability, -20% money and +20% industry, if I can afford it with beiing broke. However, if the more extreme point on the axis is -50% money fro +40% industry, it makes me consider if I favour industry that much or not.

- Finally, I think that right now you can choose the exact ideology you want pretty easily: if you want to become authoritarian (although right now it is very bad), you only have to choose the answers in the events that will push you towards this and to take the right civics. One way of solving this problem is to make the event reactions tied to more than one axis, so for exemple you may have to sacrifice some authority because you want to stay on the way of progress. Another way, which I think would be awesome, is to make some of your actions influence the ideologies. For exemple, each time you make an agreement, purchase a ressource or forgive a grievance towards another player, it could shift you slightly towards "World". On the other hand, if you do not do anything in diplomacy, you could decay over time towards "Homeland". Same thing, each time you make a demand or something that implies that you put the interest of your people above the friendship with other nations, you go towards "Homeland". That way, if you want to benefit from the "World" bonus, you must really be open to the world and not just make the right answers to some events. It could be amazing.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 10, 2021, 5:27:26 PM

On Ideology

While I do think the ideology system is great, some of the choices are a bit unbalanced and heavily favor one side or the other. I'd suggest changing it as such:

Collectivism (+ % industry) vs Individualism (+% money) is fantastic and I think it is the model we should strive for. I would not change it at all.

Homeland (+% food) vs World (+% food per alliances) is a pretty bad one IMHO. Both focus on the same resource and homeland, due to its reliability, is simply better than world in most circumstances. I'd change that to Homeland (-% unit upkeep) vs World (+% trade routes income). This would pivot this choice into a money related pick for different gameplay orientations - either the homeland one helping you with maintaning large armies or the World one helping trade-oriented players. It would give other players a more concrete reason to choose one or the other depending on their playstyle.

Liberty (+ influence per territory) vs Authority (+ turns before being culturally converted) is another one that is heavily skewed towards one side - Liberty's effect is much stronger than the Authority effect (+influence even helps against cultural conversion) so there's no reason to go Authority at all. I'd change it to Liberty (+ faith per territory) vs Authority (+ %food). My proposal for it to play with the religious game helping you to grow it either by exporting it to other places with the faith bonus or by growing strong with your own populace. The religion already have a strong synergy with food and population growth, so having the player need to choose between faith or food can make for a more interesting scenario. Thematically, I'm neutral to which should be which, so IMHO Liberty (+%food) vs Authority (+ faith per territory) would be an equivalent choice. 

Tradition (+ faith on territory) vs Progress (+%science) is another that is skewed towards one direction, favouring Progress in this case. While I do think it is the most balanced of the three problematic ones, science outputs are much more important than faith outputs overall, so I'd change it to Tradition (+ %influence) vs Progress (+%science). This would make this decision much harder, as both resources are crucial, and put it on a similar dilemma to the Colectivism vs Individualism choice. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 19, 2021, 1:51:00 AM

Better late than never.

Just want to say I did like the overall Ideology and society scales. However, there needs to be more impact in how going from one end of scale to the other side. Staying in middle is nice and all, but as far as I am concerned, the effects of them are very small or not rewarding enough for most players to not bother. This leads to more preference in going for either left or right side of the scale rather than being in middle for the bonus.

If you really want some players to be bothered by choices in Civic and their effects, it would be a good idea to make the effects on stability higher. At 10 stability change from one shifting to one side, this is not enough. Please make it something like 20 stability per each shift in scale change. (So at far left or right, it would be a total of minus 40 stability which needs players serious committment to maintain high stability.)

In addition to this, perhaps make the effects of some positive boni of some scales slightly or even more stronger too to shape how players commit and take their gameplay seriously. By doing so, when adopting a Civic choice, the effects would not be just from 1 Civic itself but also from the society scales which should have more impact and more meaningful.

Liberty vs Authority

As couple of people already mentioned, the effects from these two are more heavily favoured by Liberty whereas Authority is least preferred. Please change the effects of Authority to something better.

One idea that I have is maybe make the effect of Authority also include something like making the negative effect on stability become less (or even zero stability at far right Authority) when refusing a Civic Osmosis choice. At full Liberty, however, when refusing a Civic Osmosis choice, the impact from refusing such choice could be increased as a penalty for gaining more influence pts but still fail and get overwhelmed by more influential neighbors.

At the moment, it is -50 stability effect hit on city when refusing. So at full authority, this would negate such impact, and this could heavily screw those who adopt more of Liberty. Basically, my idea of stability hit mechanic that you have from refusing would look something like this on the scale:

Full Liberty        :  -100 Stability

Partial Liberty    : -75 Stability

Middle                :  -50 Stability
Partial Authority : -25 Stability

Full Authority     :  0 Stability

It is just an idea you could probably consider adding on top of other existing mechanic. At least, so that it gives Authority something more meaningful.

Repealing a Civic Choice (Alternative Game Option)

This is something I would like to see if it is possible as a game option rather than forced game mode. If players really want to repeal a certain Civic choice they made, they need to spend even more civic points to do so.

Maybe make it at costing a player 2 Civic points just to repeal or roll back the decision? I know this idea may not be entirely such a good idea as players should take the effects of Civic choice more seriously when adopting one. However, this may be left open as a game option for players when they choose their game mode at begining of their games.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 21, 2021, 12:16:58 PM

I think there's been a lot of good points made about the various civics here. There are my thoughts specific to a few as they were implemented in Victor they all felt pretty uninteresting and also unfortunately seemed to have clearly superior choices. I hope these suggestions are seen as more interesting and more focused. This removes rushing buildings with population from the technology tree and makes it a civil / society issue.

Institutional

(^ authority)

SLAVERY

(NEW CIVIC)

Transactional

(^ liberty)

You can rush the following building types using population:
Infrastructure & Comm Projects.

Changed Actions

You can increase productivity rates with money by locking population growth on a round your population would increase.

Action: rush (as is) but with an added reduction in maximum city stability =  pop consumed ^2 (squared)

Changed effect.

Action: serfdom - lasts in this city for 2 turns.
If scientific +10% science.

If builder +10% industry.

Otherwise: +3% ind/sci/money.

This lasts for a number of turns afterwards equal to # pop killed/consumed this turn by rushing.

Changed consequence

Food for the population is consumed but you don’t gain a population.

Capture the Young

Kill any Able Bodied Men

(^ homeland)

PRISONERS

(CIVIC)

Previous: Slaves

Capture the Able Bodied Men

Spare other Civilians

(^ world)

Gain bonus population if you finish ransacking a foreign Outpost or City. 

Changed Actions

You can rush the following building types using population: Districts. Chance to gain population during a protracted siege based on its size.

+ 5 stability on Garrisons.

Changed Effect

Action: rush (as is) but with an added reduction in maximum city stability =  pop consumed ^2 (squared)

Decreased (-20%) wealth from Ransacking an Outpost or City.  

Changed Consequence

This lasts for a number of turns afterwards equal to # pop consumed.

Debasement of the Body

(^ collectivism)

PUNISHMENT

(CIVIC)

Debasement of Privilege

(^ individualism)

Stability penalties are harsher.

Changed Effect

Decreased civic points gained.

Punishment is a negative civic action that when triggered is chosen sometimes as a response to an event, or, which you are pressured to take after an event. For example riots in one of your cities. It’s possible that at a later point in the game a technological event or subsequent civic choice may refund it.

For example: Determining incarceration & judicial control may refund this civic point for other uses.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 21, 2021, 12:26:54 PM

Suggestion instead of having the refund: When you research the following technologies you can choose one civic from the appropriate branch and 'switch' a decision you made previously.

MERCANTILISM: Economy Civics, civics related to public spending and investment.

CONQUEST: Army Civics, civics related to military and martial matters.

CENTRALIZED POWER: Justice Civics, civics related to the treatment of criminals and other civil issues.

NATIONHOOD: Government Civics, civics related to the organization of your ministry and politics.

FOREIGN OUTPOSTS: Society Civics, civics related to day-to-day life in your Empire.

TYPEFACE: Culture Civics, civics related to cultural issues and art.

THEOLOGY: Religion Civics, civics related to beliefs and what is acceptable or not.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 21, 2021, 12:29:08 PM

Children's Rights makes me uncomfortable as it. Since it's a civic that defacto results in the children being exploited. It's not rights, it's CHILD LABOR. Which I mean yeah ... that's still a legitimate 'macro' question you can ask of your government but uhm, don't pretend it's something it's not.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 21, 2021, 12:39:15 PM

I think I agree with both @waper and @doctorkain 's suggestions. I think I like the stability being more in the middle but if that's how it's going to be I might lower that to 12% in the center and 6% when in the first margins and only 3% when at the extremes. I had this idea that whenever you reach an ideological extreme you trigger an event... but that could become annoying and repetitive. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment