3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 6:14:20 AM

For me religion have two problems:

- Too easy spread your religión.

- Faith income is useless when you buy tier4 tennet

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 10:51:59 AM

I’ve yet to have my religion not be completely dominant. It almost feels like a bug or something, especially because I don’t even know how you exert that religious influence! I’d like a lot more information in the UI about how that’s happening.    

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 12:31:30 PM

Choosing real religion as your first religion is nonsense, because all modern religions aren't that ancient, apart from Hinduism, and you still find your first religion earlier.

Secondly, I think Irreligion civic is either bugged, or have swapped effects. Because everyone expect State Atheism to disable religions and relative civics, and Securalism to keep religion, but to make it less influential on your state affairs (but still influential on other).

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 25, 2021, 1:15:10 PM

Religion's fundamentals are OK, but as others have said it would be nice if there was more content / it would interact better with other mechanics. Here's my quick thoughts:

1. Some tenets are way overpowered, as I started gaining for example 70 culture per turn per holy site just because of a single tenet
  2. Holy sites could be limited per city. Felt cheesy building 5 holy sites next to each other to my Capital but it was the most effective thing to do.
  3. Would be nice if you could instead of a holy site build an equally expensive "pilgrimage" unit which creates a holy site to opponent's city's territory. They then could not built a holy site themselves, but perhaps for a cost adopt that holy site to also belong to their religion too
  4. Holy sites could also increase trade between cities that both have a holy site belonging to the same religion.
  5. Tenets could give bonuses / penalties to building/using certain types of units, districts or techs
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 26, 2021, 2:51:04 AM

Better balanced now, but AI does not try to build enough holy sites so it's easy to snowball and reach high tiers. This leads to all tenants that effect holy sites are extremely powerful You can have 5 holy sites and 100+ believers by midgame which should not be possible if AI was active in religious game.

At least make some AI that focus on religion otherwise it's too easy.  

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 27, 2021, 8:24:47 PM

Fol all levles of tenets into a single page: this is already a window, within a window within a window diverting attention from the interesting main game

We have huge monitors with meter wide screens, it is not OK to scroll for the various levles of tenets of a single subfunction of the game

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 2:55:37 AM

I think religion's base mechanics are good; spreading it and choosing tenets works nicely. Of course, tenet effects could be balanced, though it would be interesting if some tenets came with both positives and negatives. This might at least give us players some tradeoff to think about when picking tenets.

For example:

- Abstain from Intoxicants: +10 Industry and +10 Food, but -5 Stability (no alcohol means better work and healthier people, but potentially unhappier ones too)

- Seek Wisdom: +10 Science, but -5 Industry and -5 Food (more time spent meditating might mean less time on industry or farming)

---

Syncretism (blending multiple religions) would be an interesting addition too; if I have 7 pops following my state religion and 2 pops following a foreign religion, those 2 pops should also grant me FIMS modifications based on that foreign religion's tenets. If that foreign religion grants +1 Money but -1 Industry per religious pop, then my 2 foreign-religion pops should modify my overall FIMS by +2 Money and -2 Industry. (Also, those foreign-religion pops might trigger some version of an osmosis event due to an exchange of ideas.)

This way I might be more open to hosting foreign religions if their effects line up with my plans, or I may try to get rid of them if their maluses (-2 Industry in this case) outweigh the benefits. This at least gives us another decision point - whether or not to push for our own religion. (It may also make sense to have a Stability hit for regions with more foreign religions - so you might opt to push for your state religion specifically to keep your stability intact.) 

---

Finally, there aren't any negatives as your religion levels up, so you always get the same (not too interesting) gameplay "decision":
More religion == Better.

Relatedly, this means that I would never pick either of the two Irreligion civics (why would I throw away all the bonuses I currently get from my religion?).

Those civics should bring some benefit that's large enough to warrant throwing away your religion. Or perhaps if state and foreign religions accrued more maluses as they grew, you might pick an Irreligion civic to lose your religion and shut down all religious maluses (at the cost of losing any positives from those religions).

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 5:59:34 AM

Playing through the scenario a second time on Civilization difficulty I found my religion still easily spread mostly unopposed even though I found it unclear how influence spread or was opposed. None of my neighbors were able to get their own religions started before they were mostly converted.

The latter tiers of religious tenants get rather insane, with holy sites providing 100+ culture or science each. I had no reason to build culture generating buildings or districts as my holy sites provided more than I could spend, over 1000 per turn by the end of the scenario.

I agree with other commenters that reducing some of the tenant bonuses for holy sites or increasing the AI's proclivity to build holy sites and defend their own religions would help make religion a little less boring. I don't mind powerful bonuses if I feel like I have earned them, but with religion the game breaking power came with no real effort.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 11:23:20 AM

I've played multiple long games on Humankind difficulty now and I'm really liking religion overall. But there are couple things that could be improved about that system along with culture system since they work very similarly with spreading.

1. the tier 3 tenets in religion are too powerful and dont let other players/AI catch up if u have all the holysites, switching it from holy sites to state religion follower player's capital would make it more balanced.
2. the AI needs to be better at enforcing their faith or influence production in territories that are under heavy pressure from others, that way the religious and cultural war becomes more interesting outside of multiplayer, in multiplayer I dont think the current system needs any sort of  improvements at all regarding spread.

The system is amazing, you are basically fighting 3 wars at the same time as you build an economy to progress forward. Cultural war, religious war and expansion. Culture/Religion both give u the ability to get grievances u can use for war. They also allow u to convert the players/AI who are not defending themselves well and make them align with yourself more, which results in making them your allies easier since they have the diplomatic relationship bonuses from those after being converted.
Also trade routes spreading religion and giving us a civic to allow only internal trade later is so well thought out.

Enjoying the game a lot.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 7:57:48 PM

Ok, so here we are with plenty of new Victor feedback. I'd like to first say that HK is surely shaping up to be a fantastic game, and this OpenDev already shown a great deal of improvement over the Lucy build. I'll focus this report on the issues I found, but this by no way means HK isn't a good or fun game, just that I'm pointing to what can be made better before release. I'll also try to not discuss bugs like the various graphical glitches or the fact that many Early Modern Emblematic Quarters could be built in multiples per territory since by now I assume you're well aware of those. I'll try (key word here is try) to present suggestions to each issue, but of course, my knowledge of civics, technologies and cultures is limited by the scope of the opendevs revealed so far. So, without further ado, lets dive in:

- Religion

- Issue: Bonuses with the "per follower per holy site" rule are too strong and dominate the religious meta. They wield thousands of FIMSI and can make a culture ignore a district type yet still dominate on its category, say researching all EM techs by turn 120 without ever being a scientist culture or building even a single Research District. That, coupled with the increased importance of pops mentioned above, make them game-breaking. Solution:  Change those tenets from "per follower per holy site" to "per state religion follower"

- Issue: The religion tenets are quite imbalanced and give little to no thought on their selection other than "which FIMSI/Stab do I need the most". Not to mention the very overpowered tenets like the +5 stab per follower and the plethora of unbalanced "give bonuses per follower per holysite". While I understand that Religion is not one of the core game systems and that it is probably going to be expanded upon on future DLCs, the current system fails to provide the options for customizing the religion in a way that better mesh with your actions outside of the religious battlefield. I think the religion subsystem can be greatly expanded by reworking the tenet's effects and open different avenues and strategies while retaining the same base mechanics and effects. Solution: Change the following aspects of the religion system. Intended direction, in general, is to make the religious tenets fall into 3 "general" categories: Missionary, Builders, and Isolationists. "Missionary"-type tenets will generally either help the empire to spread its religion or reward the player as they accrue followers; "Builder"-type tenets will reward the player for building holy sites; and "Isolationist"-type tenets will help the player defend against other religions and gain bonuses focused on its faith generation. So, without further ado, the following lines will detail the new suggested tenets:

1) General change: All quarters that generate faith (be it holy sites per se, faith wonders, and EQs that generate faith) will be counted as "holy sites" and will gain the "per holy site" bonuses

2) Tier 1 Tenets: No change. They're fine as is.

3) Tier 2 Tenets: +1 Holy Site, plus either:a) +10 influence per holy site;  b) +10 stability per holy site; c) -50% time to convert other religions; d) +100% time to be converted by other religions; e) +3 faith per trade route; f) +1 faith per religious follower on all cities. These tenets either buff the holy site of builder-type religions or help you with faith generation to convert and/or resist other religions.

4) Tier 3 Tenets: +1 Holy Site, plus either: a) +2 Food per state religion follower on capital; b) +2 Industry per state religion follower on capital; c) +2 Money per state religion follower on capital; d) +2 Science per state religion follower on capital; e) +2 Holy Sites; f) +2 combat strength. This tier helps you gain more FIMS using your followers or help other religions to either gain more Holy Sites or a combat strength. 

5) Tier 4 Tenets: +1 Holy Site, plus either: a) +10% money per correligionist state; b) +10% science per correligionist state; c) +10% influence per correligionist state; d) +1 stability per faith produced in city for all cities. This last tier is the capstone, greatly increasing your money/science/influence if you manage to have several correligionist states or helping a isolationist/builder-type focused religion to turn their faith incomes into stability.

This is a post in a series of connected posts about the Victor Opendev. You can find the posts discussing other topics below:

Economy: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39499-feedback-economy-and-game-pace?page=3#post-315472

Naval & Air: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39509-feedback-naval-gameplay?page=1#post-315474

Diplomacy: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39502-feedback-diplomacy?page=2#post-315476

Combat & Land Armies: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39501-feedback-combat?page=2#post-315477

Civics: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39508-feedback-civics?page=1#post-315478

Cultures: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39500-feedback-cultures?page=2#post-315479

Independent Peoples: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/210-victor-opendev/threads/39526-feedback-independent-people?page=1#post-315481

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 28, 2021, 9:03:01 PM

Religion right now feels like the game really wants me to pay attention to it. I get tons of notifications about it, it produces a lot of grievances, and there's a huge number of buildings that affect it, but until you get to Tier 3 it does very little and how it spreads is passive and kind of impenetrable.

I think the effects of religion should be buffed, but it should require you to actively do stuff to get it. Like sending missionaries, building temples, losing pops to pilgrimage, etc.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 10:03:58 PM

There have been many good suggestions in the previous replies and I agree with many. Mind you, I had a ton of fun during my playthrough and have deep fondness for the game and Amplitude, so don't think the following harsh criticism is in bad spirit, it's because I want this game to be the best out there. 

Religion is easily in my top 3 of things that need work, perhaps even at the top. It feels simultaneously stupidly overpowered and strangely boring in contrast to the rest of the game; it is simply not fun. We already have a passive system in the society tab using cultural Influence (purple star) to trigger grievances and culturally bond with other players. The religion tab feels like a copy with some tenets added for a semblance of uniqueness but it largely fails and ends as a forgettable and uninspiring layer. One passive system running in the background is acceptable, but 2 copies? Sorry to say, but this is either laziness, lack of inspiration or fear of trying out things; neither of which is a good reason to deliver a suboptimal layer. It's a shame, because the basis does have great potentlal. It's supposed to be a cool competitive system but it just doesn't work out. Ironically, we're teased with all these cool little factors like faith and followers but the actual impact falls flat; it doesn't deliver on the expectation.

While I'm here rambling and criticizing, I also have to admit that whereas I think this is thè system that needs a strong overhaul the most, I don't have ideas on how to do it. The good pillars are there: Faith, followers correlated to actual population, holy sites, religious spread and tenets. At the very least, I would suggest (also suggested by others):

1. Make the spreading of religion more active or interesting. Throwing down a district close to where you want it to spread and then waiting is not very exciting. Make the networking/placing of the holy sites more interesting maybe? Spread faith using units?
  2. Balance tenets (Ahem, Tier 3, ahem) and make them less forgettable. 1 tier focused on FIDS is fine, but 3? And the tier 4s, I never found a reason to take one other than the +3 sites one. There is huge potential here. Examples could be: "Fight not": Players under this religion gain less war desire for grievances (or: need more war desire before they can declare a war, or: cannot declare a surprise ware) "Grain tithes": players under this religion must donate 5% of their food income to the religious leader. "Share with the poor": 20% of money earned by each player under this religion is taken each turn and redistributed evenly between them. "Smite heathens": units gain 1 combat strength against uints following different religions (similar to Teutonic knight).
    Give players different reasons why they'd want to be or not be part of a religion. Go wild, experiment ;) Have them permeate the entire game.
  3. Elucidate/improve how faith and followers are gained, they're in a weird spot. The religion tab unfortunately doesn't explain much on what you can do to spread so we just stuff holy sites somewhere and we hope it goes well.
  4. Tweak how you become the religious leader; having the most holy sites seems intuitive but the implementation doesn't work out. Everyone builds one holy site and starts out religious leader but eventually someone wins out against their neighbour because of better placement or because of a unique district. So that person gets more followers, gets a new tenet and can build a new holy site, therefore gaining more faith and followers and strenghtening their position. As long as the leader keeps on building faith, I didn't find anything in the game that the subjugated neighbours could do to stop it. Protection against conversion civics or buildings always came way too late. Sure, they get to enjoy the tenet benefits, but since they have few followers and barely any holy sites they get much less ánd they can't choose them. So they just have to live with it. Eh. Or pick atheism and avoid the entire system entirely. Eh.
    If there are ways to get around this or fight back in other ways, I didn't see, find or understand them.
  5. Holy sites themselves need work. Give them a little more uniqueness. Perhaps give us a choice of them producing lots of faith or less faith and some FIDS?
    Have the holy sites of different religions be a little different?
  6. I know you want the 2nd choice of religions (which, by the way, I didn't know existed or how to choose any until I saw them in a video) to be the same stat wise, but it only adds to the blandess of the system.

Again, this is harsh criticism, but it's the only system I feel needs a strong rework. Love what Amplitude is doing and I'm very happy I get to have my rambly say ;)

Cheers! 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 3:05:37 AM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Please let us know what you think about religion in the Victor OpenDev!

I like the mechanical concept of making Religion something Players can use to cover a productional weakness of their empire, along with the concept of Religion still being a competitive race even in the situation where all the world follows a single religion, and the complete reliance of trade routes for religious pressure to spread is a fascinating concept that has potential for this game.

I mainly play on Humankind difficulty, so I haven't exactly been experiencing all the amazing snowballing with religious tenets people here seem to be experiencing. But I do acknowledge that min/maxing religion can be quite potent, especially if you focus on cultures that have unique districts which produces faith. However, since I was playing on humankind difficulty, the only snowballing I ever saw was when I specifically took a religious culture, like the tuetons, and focused on building all the religious emblematic quarters and maximizing their faith output in order to break through the High Difficulty A.Is that were putting up a pretty decent fight beforehand, And after that my Empire's religious swept across like a wave--which I think I'm okay with, as I needed commit to a religious culture to achieve that.

But I'll list some things I wanna see from Religion:

1. A tooltip, on the religion view, that shows total amount of resources produce by each religion.
  2. A tooltip, on religion view, that shows total amount of resources produce by each tenet of a religion.
  3. A tooltip, on religion view, that shows the distance penalty regions receive in spreading their religious influence.
  4. More competitive mechanics for when a single religion has taken over the world. Because Religious leader stops mattering the moment you get the tenets that you want. I'm spitballing, but maybe there could be a sort of religious schism mechanic that naturally flows into the gameplay when multiple players end up following a single religion, and begin competing for Religious leader. From here specialized grievances can appear where the religious leader begins hemorrhaging influence as their leading religion splits apart. Something neat on that level... point being to keep the religion screen mattering well into the late game as a competing sport.

I had a number [5] about making there be more push and pull from religion effecting other aspect of gameplay outside of numbers, but I can't quite put into words what that would be besides some vague thoughts on Empire influence and Empire Religious influence being in a tug of war, so I'll leave that out.

The fact that picking Separation of Church and state just deletes the religion aspect from the player's gameplay and doesn't provide an interesting substitute for the player to pay attention to as a replacement kinda feels jarring. I can't quite think of what would be cool and fun to see from secularism, but as it is now... being a button that just permanently turns off religious grievences for the player, along with the player's ability to be effected by the religious influence battle... idunno.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 9:22:09 PM

After playing through the game a few times, including a run on the hardest difficulty, I come to the conclusion that religion is one of the mechanics that needs the most work. It feels very incomplete and not really part of the game. It doesn't interact with the fame system, which seems odd, and doesn't really provide unique bonuses or interactions. It spits our a ton of resources but you could increase yields on tiles and remove religion entirely and the game would be more or less the same.

Positive:

- From a mechanics standpoint religion feels worthwhile to pursue. In fact as a whole the mechanic feels overpowered, which I will touch on in the negatives section, but that does make it  feel good to have a strong religion.

- Its easy to use. The interface does not make it particularly clear how religion spreads but its easy to understand that buildng more faith structures equals more followers.

Step 1 Build holy site

Step 2 ????

Step 3 Profit

Negative:

- From the very beginning the religious choices are boring. You get 2 choices to start Shamanism flavor with extra spicy influence or Polytheism flavor with a bigger scoop of god points. These two are not enough and I hope these choices are expanded in the main game so that you at least get as many as your religious upgrade decisions or maybe even culture choices. I personally would love to see some choices that reward well planned expansion. Like bonus influence if built next to a mountain or similar things rather than the generic FIDSI and Stab variations. On a side note I did not discover that I could reskin my religion until I was 4 games in. That seems like a choice that should have been made clear upon founding my religion. Also I feel like I should be able to name my new faith and then pick a skin for my holy sites rather than have them tied to specific religions. Though I can see how that might offend some people.

-Also, the final choice in the religious tree feels very anticlimactic. You spend all the early game spreading religion in order to finally get bonuses to help your religion spread faster. It seems like there should be more choices after so maybe those are planned but please don't leave it as is.

-Religion FIDSI gains are massively overpowered. End of opendev, presumably the late midgame or early endgame, holy sites generate more FIDSI than almost anything else in the game. By turn 134 on humankind difficulty I was generating 3575 science across 4 cities and of that about 55% (1960) was coming from my 8 holy sites. This is on top of the other bonuses that holy sites provide. Even wonder bonuses, excepting maybe the lighthouse for early overseas expansion, pale in comparison to having another holy site. In fact quickly found myself only picking holy site wonders because of how good the bonus is.

-The religion mechanic as a whole feels pretty boring actually. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to grant extra FIDSI or Stab and functionally has no interaction beyond building holy sites and some civ specific districts. Faith isn't even a spendable resource like influence its just a kind of barometer to tell you which direction religion is spreading. I would love to see more faith interaction in the game. Maybe things like faith units or the ability to collect and spend faith depending on your civic choices. As it stands religion feels more like an effective way to gain resources rather than a separate mechanic.

-The Irreligion civic choice should not change your state religion. I can accept taking this choice unlocking the option to have no state religion but the decision to change the state religion should go in the religion tab. It really bothers me when I have extra civic points to look at a civic I cannot take in the tree.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 1, 2021, 9:58:44 AM

Too many UI pages for religion alone: all levels of tenets should be displayed on a single page

Tenets should have a more engaging icon to show their effect: This is one area where Troy TW had refined ideas (UI design for religion). There already seem to be some images behind the tenets but are blurred out even when activated

Spreading of religion is easy and not many ways the player can influence it. e.g.: some infra could provide buffs or debuffs to ceartant religion types for example

Most UI icons of the various religions are not visible in front of the backdrop: their color and contours are too weak

Final religious civic seems to disable the entire religion mechanic no matter which option is chosen and can be forced upon the player in mid-game by cultural synergy

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 1, 2021, 2:07:01 PM

A lot of people have already mentioned religion yields being too strong. I would like to bring up that probably the biggest factor that makes stability too easy right now is religious sites (and wonders). Not only do they provide a massive stab bonus on something you are going to build anyway, but you can build multiple of them in the same city. Usually my first 2 cities don't build a single quarter that provides stability because religious sites and wonders take care of the issue for you. I do think the stability bonus should be tuned down a bit. I even wouldn't mind a limit on how many sites can be in a single city. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 1, 2021, 9:44:37 PM

I didn't even realize until reading through here that the placement of the holy sites mattered. I was just sticking them all in a desert where that would otherwise have no yields. No I learn that placing them near the opposition would have made it spread faster? That could have been clearer.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 9:17:06 AM

Everyone's said it better than I can, but the huge flat yields on holy sites make religion feel both too simple and too important. In general I would prefer more percentage and adjacency based (currently holy sites don't interact with any quarters, which feels weird) tenets, because currently religion doesn't feel like I'm setting the values of my people so much as choosing which yield I want thousands of. Basically, if I pick a production tenet (for example) I'd want it to improve my existing investment in production in an interesting way, not make all my maker's quarters obsolete.

Finally, I'd agree that holy sites give too much stability for something that can be stacked in a city - it makes tenets that give stability seem like a waste of time, when they should be very valuable.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 1:51:41 PM
Dinode wrote:

I didn't even realize until reading through here that the placement of the holy sites mattered. I was just sticking them all in a desert where that would otherwise have no yields. No I learn that placing them near the opposition would have made it spread faster? That could have been clearer.

I tended to place them either at my borders or in the center of my empires. I think I intuitively picked up on this but it's not well explained. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 1:54:38 PM

The other thing about religion is you can usually ignore it if you're careful about it. When your find out which religion has chosen stability, pick that one, and then pick the civic that the "state religion adds influence." So now some other player has to waste time building their religion sites and you don't meanwhile their religion reinforces your nation's influence on itself and gains stability. Then trade with that player as much as possible followed up by an offer to be in an alliance. :D 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment