Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 18, 2021, 4:21:57 PM
I would reiterate what a lot have said and particularly the AI itself shows that research does not keep up with Era at all. I have to put the game on Civilization for them to keep up and only at Humankind do they build the units of their current era. On my own side, it makes sense that most successful civilizations would have a period of enlightenment but unless you constant pursue science as a priority, you fall very behind in tech vs your Era. My usual start up has been Babylon x2 -> English and just jump right to Longbows before making an offensive push. With this strategy, it is only by the beginning of the following Era that I can actually build the Longbows. I don't really have a problem with this but perhaps more technologically advanced civilizations could be marked not necessarily by their highest tech level but also their average. It seems you should be able to focus on military research and still keep your tech somewhat current to your era with the caveat that other types of research are lagging behind. As it stands right now, only a full devotion to science will get you close your Era tech and by extension, way beyond all your opponents. 
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 18, 2021, 4:29:09 PM

How does your progress through the eras feel? Is it too fast or too slow?

• Think it's too fast.

• Turn 8 to reach Ancient (I even extended the time a bit to get more runners).

• Turn 33 to reach Classical

• Turn 58 to reach Medieval (note: I got a lot of war stars)

Do you feel your research progress roughly matches your progress through the eras? Does it match what you would expect for a game meant to last about 300 turns?

• It was mostly fine for my playthrough, but I had maximum scientists in every city to speed up my research.

How do you feel about the speed of population growth?

• A big issue: It is far too slow for most factions.

• On the flip side, Harappans with the food bonus and Agarian advantages grow just fine (as they'll get like +8-12 food from multiple rivers). Everyone else is really struggling with population growth now, and need to leave lots of people in helping produce food, which means a massive reduction in things like science production.

How do you feel about the value and the growth of the different resources (Including Influence)

• Huge issue here. Way too many things need influence now: outposts and attaching to ac ity, construction of resource buildings at outposts, civics, and unlocking wonders!

• As a result, influence income is ridiculously slow and limited in the early game, unless you settle next to wonders or can build influence producing unique buildings (like Olmecs), in which case you get sufficient amounts (after all, the wonders will give +5 each).

Are religions still to powerful, or are the bonuses at a more appropriate level now?

• It actually  feels too slow to advance now. 40 followers for the first tenet?  You won't hit 40 population until like turn 70!

How does the neolithic era feel now? Can you still grow your population too quickly?

• Definitely way too fast.  I got 9 tribal members when I decided to advance to the next era on turn 9.  It did take 20 minutes of play though. https://youtu.be/PxcVOhFgokw

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 18, 2021, 5:09:59 PM

Here is my point of view for few full games and starts only I've played

• How does your progress through the eras feel? Is it too fast or too slow?
I think it is quite good at the beginning of the game, but once you're well set, espacially if you have a vassal which is generally giving you tons of resources and gold generation, you start a little bit crushing the eras, gaining stars without especially focusing on getting those.

• Do you feel your research progress roughly matches your progress through the eras? Does it match what you would expect for a game meant to last about 300 turns?
I think it could take 300 turns to unlock all the research tree, but only 150 turn to unlock all the eras. For sure, we can stay at a lower era level before upgrading to the following era, but AI kind of forces us to speed up a little bit. The fact that we are limited to 3 era stars per category (which is a great idea to force diversification of gameplay) is a kind of shortfall if we decide to remain in the current era.

• How do you feel about the speed of population growth?
I think it is well scaled

• How do you feel about the value and the growth of the different resources (Including Influence)
Gaining science is pretty hard, unless you choose cultures with science boost. I think that, to compete in the highest level of difficulty, it is almost impossible to keep up with the AI if you don't choose scientific culture at leat at ancient era (and classical would be a good idea too). Influence is pretty hard to get at the beginning, as there is many way to spend it. It makes the decision hard to take (civics, new outpost, new cities ?) but I personnaly like it. Maybe lowering a little bit the influence cost of the second city would be reasonnable (130-ish is pretty high to my point of view). May be reverting the outpost buildings to be production-based could help a little bit, as outpost are not as relevant (to my point of view) as long as they are not attached to any city, it is quite costly to pay influence to get your only iron or horse available.

• Are religions still to powerful, or are the bonuses at a more appropriate level now?
Religion is pretty ok, even if it seems pretty easy to spread. Bonuses are not OP, but to my point of view are rather well balanced. Once again, I think focusing on science tenets really helps.

• How does the neolithic era feel now? Can you still grow your population too quickly?
I like the pace of this era, even if I think the curioisty star is almost unreachable (especially compared to the other 2 which are pretty easy to get). Population grows fast, but you need it for your scouting, and as the era is just a warm-up for your game, I like the fact it does not take 15 turns to complete ;-)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 18, 2021, 9:01:42 PM

To me I just feel the religion system is a waste as your beginning tenets only give two choices forcing you to choose one of those two like them or not.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 1:28:29 AM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Usually I can wait it out in an era until my technology tree gets to the point It's time to advance in order to obtain better priority technologies.

However: After the Ancient era I seem to obtain seven stars to advance to the Midieval era well before I'm even finished half way through the Classical research tree. Which then increases to the point that I unlock Early modern when I'm barely even starting the Midieval technology tree, with Tech costs still around 10 turns or more for those technologies. It's only if I go Joseon in Early modern that I am able to catch up to complete the research tree before turn 200. And as non science cultures, I can barely reach a one or two technologies at the middle of industrial in time before the game is complete.

Era pacing feels quite fast, compared to technology pacing.

Do you feel your research progress roughly matches your progress through the eras? Does it match what you would expect for a game

No, for reasons already stated. But I will add that, with how stability works now, it's quite punishing to attempt to raise my research speed in order to compete with how quickly the eras go. At least when I'm not in a good position as the Joseon, who are a culture that makes research speed a trivial thing.

I do not have much opinion on it, other than it incentivizes many cities over few large cities, which I guess I'm more or less fine with. It's at an okay speed.

How do you feel about the value and the growth of the different resources (Including Influence)

Value of money is very low, if not completely useless. The only way I was able to take advantage of money was through a vassalage income from higher difficulties, even then money income from Vassalage was only competitive with population buyout if I went as Phoenicians -> Carthaginians and vassalized two strong empires.

Influence is quite valuable early on for outpost building and such, but if I'm falling behind the a.i and can not compete with them for wonders and such, picking up the civics and religious tenets that give (a lot) of influence income per turn only incentivizes me to save influence for when I need to create outposts, build things in outposts, or maybe attach a city. A lot of what influence can be used for is tied to things that eventually run out of uses (and thus priority) when the world gets smaller as the game goes on.

Unfortunately, also, now that cities can be built instantly with influence, settlers have become quite... questionable.

Are religions still to powerful, or are the bonuses at a more appropriate level now?

Appropriate, if a bit... not that great, outside of Influence generation and Stability generation.

How does the neolithic era feel now? Can you still grow your population too quickly?

My first game was the most difficult in terms of growing population in neolithic. AFter that, I knew the map better, and thus could maximize the curiousities for growth.

Tweaked era star thresholds

Did not notice a difference, pacing felt the same in that aspect.

Cities now generate +1 Influence per population on their Main Plaza

I like this, a lot.

Reduced economic bonuses of religious tenets and increased thresholds to unlock them

I like the increased thresholds, at least from the perspective of winning the Religious influence war.

Commons Quarters are now more focused on Influence than Stability

Stability is what made commons quarters worth there weight in industry, without it, the Influence doesn't do much to make their priority much higher than garrisons, especially with how district costs become more expensive the more I build them.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 1:39:54 AM
Full disclosure: This was my first game of Humankind. I focused on science, played on Nation difficulty, and when I play civ I play with mods to slow down tech but not production. I don't like being rushed.

The pacing seems way too fast for me. 

However, I felt rushed in the game. Sure, tech wise I was fine, since I focused heavily on science (I wish I could see the relative tech levels of other players) but I never had enough time. I want to be able to build my emblematic districts, but I get them a couple of them down and it's time to move on to the next era. Of course, I can wait to move on, which I do, but it puts the pressure on. I want to be able to use those districts, but I'll lose them forever if I go to another culture. That's not even getting into issues in the early game maintaining stability with garrisons (which I'm fine with, but it means less time to build other stuff) and no time to build infrastructure. I have all these buildings and districts and no time to build it.

Additionally, with eras moving so quickly, it blends the cultures into quickly. I don't think the other players as cultures, I just think of them as symbols and colours. The cultures move on way to quick to really get to know my neighbours. Slowing down progression would make a world of difference. Not just tech speed, but in the time it takes for next culture. If it's possible more techs is a better alternative to slower techs.

• Do you feel your research progress roughly matches your progress through the eras? Does it match what you would expect for a game meant to last about 300 turns?
It felt like roughly matched, but I didn't pay to much attention to tech eras and I was focused on science. Still to rushed and I feel like this game would definitely benefit from focusing on a longer game. 300 turns seems rushed

It seemed fine until I noticed my cities had a much smaller population then I thought.

• How do you feel about the value and the growth of the different resources (Including Influence)
Gold didn't seem that useful. I didn't focus on it because of that, and once I began to see how it could be used to greatly speed up production, it still didn't seem worth focusing on, especially with all the other stuff I didn't have the time to build

• Are religions still to powerful, or are the bonuses at a more appropriate level now?

It didn't seem clear how to use them. I got the holy site, got the religon, some decent bonuses, and that's it. It wasn't clear to me how to spread or what faith was even used for. I still don't know. I did notice grievances about followers being persecuted, and I could act on those, but I have no idea what caused them. I got grievences against me, but I didn't select anything to persecute religions. I only controlled territory that belonged to another player.

• How does the neolithic era feel now? Can you still grow your population too quickly?

I felt it was fine. I didn't create an outpost until later on, and I was able to get a decent amount of units from hunting and exploring.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 7:34:59 AM

• Way too fast. I would suggest removing all the first era-stars of each era (The first of the 3 stars)

• Also, I would actually lower the amount of stars you need, but forcing you to have a minimum of that eras technologies as well. So for progression you need to have earned 5 era stars AND have researched at least half of that eras technologies. This would actually tie era to tech and prevent them from drifting apart.

Do you feel your research progress roughly matches your progress through the eras? Does it match what you would expect for a game meant to last about 300 turns?

• I was playing only Science cultures and still fell behind a lot for the era I was supposed to be in. IF the game has a limit of 300 turns I would expect for the average culture to complete all early modern techs by around 200, that is currently not possible. But I liked the tech pacing, just maybe more for a 400 Turn game. For tying era progression to it, see above.

• Felt about right. regularly hit the point I couldn't feed everyone anymore.

• Influence is at first scarce and later abundant. First you need it a lot for expansion, but later you should create more uses for it, like special policies you can enact for x turns. Or territory diplomacy to trade lands without war.

• Money was never a problem and I havn't build a market once. I think that's not as desired.

• I actually didn't care about religion at all and still got the largest follower base. But the tenets felt coming in quite late.

• It feels fine IF you progress as soon as possible, If you spend extra time there you can snowball population quite big for that early era.

Additional:

- Ships are toooooo slow across the board. All horses are currently faster on land than a ship is at sea. I think any ship should at least be as quick as the horses (6 movement), maybe even 7 or 8 for non-transports.
- Army locking is bad in neutral battles. Like, I cannot move my own army in my own territory because the siege-area of a neighbouring war has randomly included that tile ?!?  Let me freely move troops though battles that are neutral to me. (In a ghost mode to not interfere)
- The terrain seems slightly off. Like, the ratio of landmasses to seas is great, also the amount of continents and islands is great. But the continents seem a smidge too peninsulary. Like Europe irl has a lot of peninsulas, but most other continents are more blob shaped, like South America, Africa, Australia etc. And on the lands the climates seem unnatrual at times. Going from snow to desert in a tile, or having a hot desert north of snowy plains. Deserts in general are too many. IRL there are two bands around earth, one north and one south of the tropical equator jungle band. Those two have basically all the deserts on the planet, that's from the general wind directions. Also, what about floating ice sheets that can only be crossed with contemporary ships, opening up northern passages? Would feel more realistic then the current "no access" polar ocean.
- It took me a while to figure out that population affect stability and I can gain stability simply by buying a new military unit. Stability mechanics maybe should be highlighted in tutorial tips. 
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 2:42:35 PM

I think agarian stars should only count population inside cities, not units as well. Right now population in general eat more food than they produce which mean the best way to achieve agarian stars is building military units to reduce the size of the population inside the cities which lead to faster population growth. To me agarian stars should be about farmers and food, not about spamming military units and maintain minimal population in the cities.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 5:28:01 PM
Era progress is still too fast. I still feel rushed through the eras and not able to use all the cool features, units, etc. 

Research progress always lags behind when not solely focused on science. I feel that the research progress is appropriate. Keep that science pace and adjust era progress and turn count accordingly, not the other way around. Era progress needs to be connected to research progress somehow. What about using the research progress as a multiplier for the era stars? For example, sum of stars multiplied by the fraction of technologies researched in that era. 

Speed of population growth seems good. But because of the increased food consumption per pop the surplus seemed highly volatile. I often have cities that have +1 pop and -1 pop with only a few rounds in between. A third city status "stable" would be helpful. For example, when a city has a positive but very moderate food surplus (like 0 to +10), the population does neither grow nor decrease.

In the early game, influence is now much more valuable. I like the fact that I have to weigh different uses. Growth over is also better. Although I have five-digit values for influence and gold from around the medieval era, they are quickly spent due to correspondingly high costs. However, in early game, I almost always decided not to build wonders as I needed the influence for more important actions like attaching territories to get era stars.
Industry cost is way more appropriate. In the other open devs, it was easy to spam districts and buildings. Now they take their time. As also stability can finally be a challenge, spamming districts is not so easy and buildings are more interesting. 
I feel industry cost of wonders is too high compared to their value.

I only made it to tenet level 3 as I did not focus on faith so far. But bonuses seem much better balanced. 

Pop growth is still too easy. I can get around 10 pops plus the era star for hunting and still one of the first to progress to the ancient era. I think a reduction of the amount of food per curiosity will not fix. I think the best way is to introduce a forced era progress from the neolithic to the ancient era once an era star is earned.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 6:36:02 PM
  1. How does your progress through the eras feel? Is it too fast or too slow?

The Era progression is lightning fast, particularly for the AI. (AI is pretty broken right now)

1. Do you feel your research progress roughly matches your progress through the eras? Does it match what you would expect for a game meant to last about 300 turns?

The research might be adecuate but the Era progression gives a sensation that you're so far behind when you're probably really not.

1. How do you feel about the speed of population growth?

Population growth is not in a good spot, farmers can barily sustain themselves when in reality the whole idea of agriculture is that few can sustain the many and right now if you want to grow a city you need to put everyone on food while at the same time investing in a ton of improvements and districts. It's really pointless to go for food, making agriculture cultures rather weak. 

1. How do you feel about the value and the growth of the different resources (Including Influence)
    Food: contrary to some feedback, Ive tested and watched people play on Humankind difficulty and even though perhaps the food balance might be better than other OpenDev's it's still no right.
    Production:I didn't feel any major issues with production, overall it seems fine but i could be wrong.
    Money: Money got nerfed to the ground, to the point where its really not worth anyone's time to focus on it. Money oriented cultures now feel really weak, which is a shame because it could be so interesting. The biggest issue is that the Market district is SO SO SO SO boring. Overall I think the whole district play is very dull. Lucy OpenDev had a much more interesting district gameplay.
    Science: The science growth seems to be close to where it should be. Unfortunately it suffers from the same ailment of the district gamplay, that it's very dull and boring. There's barely any interesting adjecency gameplay so yeah.
    Influence: It's probably fine,it might not scale very well after hitting the early modern era however. Because at this point you probably generate too much influence and the amount of things you can dump it to get reduced.
    Faith: Extremely dull and confusing resource. It has close to no player engagement. As a player you just sorta make your holy  sites and perhaps wonders and you just forget about it. The main reason why this resource is dull is because the Religion gameplay is also pretty dull. There's no interaction at all, it simply is there and it gives you stuff but there's nothign else to it. You just hope you have enough to beat the AI's output, which that in turn is also pretty dull. No reason to even consider other religions for strategic purposes or anything. Perhaps the most dead resource when it comes to fun  and interaction.
  2. Are religions still to powerful, or are the bonuses at a more appropriate level now?

The religion bonuses are probably better balanced than in Victor OpenDev, but honestly I couldn't tell you because the whole religion system is pretty boring. It only gives some bonuses and some minor interactions in diplomacy. I wish it was more impactful and had more interesting interactions. I would strongly suggest studying Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings III, they have an awesome faith system. I would like to see Holy wars or using faith to add more options to the game such as inciting revolts on other player's cities. Also would be cool if the tenents were not just some bonuses for the other resourced but more powerful interactions such as a "crusader" tenant that lets you raise a holy army for an amount of turns for reduced Money cost. Stuff like that.

1. How does the neolithic era feel now? Can you still grow your population too quickly?

The neolithic era's population growth seems to be at a good spot. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 6:48:09 PM

The keystone for everything and how it breaks the game

What is the keystone, you may ask, but I'll tell you.

Population is the keystone

Let me explain. With population you can achieve everything by using it as a farmer, worker, trader or researcher.
Especially in the early stages of the game, using them gives you more profit than exploiting the land.
It is also a key part of building armies. And now they also produce influence.

But now that the consumption of food has been increased, it is no longer possible to achieve high population numbers in cities unless you choose an agricultural culture. Then you no longer have the problems, the whole thing is amplified at the highest difficulty level when an AI chooses this.
After two rounds in which the AI had chosen the agricultural culture first and had built up a high population thanks to the additional massive bonuses, it will become almost unstoppable and is successful in all aspects of the game. It reached the classical age already in the 25th round, while another AI had to advance to the ancient age a few rounds earlier.
Of course, the AI chose another agricultural culture and from that point on, the whole thing just snowballed and the AI was unstoppable.
The lack of enough production of food and influence in the early game due to the increased consumption and more actions that require influence make the agrarian cultures and aesthete cultures stronger than before.

here are some other points

Ransacking and forest clearing should have a fixed maximum turn duration: suggested 5 turns.
Currently this takes too long compared to the yield you get from it.

extragtors should always take only one round to build or be instant purchase.
i like the idea to buy them with influence but then please also in cities,
but i don't know if that would only add to the above mentioned problems.

Getting and using money is very slow and not really impactful unless you specialize in it by choosing merchant cultures, then it's ok.

The obtaining and use of industry is ok and if you specialize in it by choosing builders cultures, really good I think.

From the previous Open Devs it was that you had enough at the beginning and too many yields at the end.
through the current changes you now have too little in the beginning and the end was only pushed further back.

it would have been better to increase the basic yields and to reduce the later additional yields through technologies and infrastructure and districts,
so that you always have a decent yield and never too much.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 11:04:01 PM
    Way too fast
    I feel 300 turns isn't enough. I ended my game around turn 160 and had just about researched all era 3 techs. The research speed felt good, but the game should last more like 400 or 500 turns to really get the most out of it I think.
    Feels good to me
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 19, 2021, 11:09:09 PM
coloneluber wrote:
I'll also add here that I feel gold was overnerfed. Carthage is basically mandatory now if you want to use gold in a functional capacity, and stability nerfs makes it really hard to justify getting commercial quarters when you really need that science, production, and food. It seems food production may have been nerfed? A little overdone in my opinion. You're getting the double whammy of needing more people producing food, and having to commit more precious stability to agriculture quarters.

Stability does indeed feel very punishing with not many tools to combat it. Commons quarters are extremely weak and basically almost anything you do reduces stability by A LOT, districts seem almost not worth it sometimes because of the low reward vs high stability hit.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 6:17:11 AM

First of all I really love the general idea behind the game of combining cultures, having more strategic planning decisions with districts, and a more realistic terrain. Being a real fan of the Civ franchise (Civ4, Civ5, Civ BE, Civ6) I am very happy to see a new and promising game bringing innovation into the genre.

However, after playing the closed beta for 60+ hours on Civilization and Humankind difficulty, I think there are still some major pacing issues in the mid-to-late game.

Once a player has somewhat understood how the game mechanics work, it is still too easy to snowball. Here are some charts of my most recent game on Civilization difficulty which I ended after turn 167 even though I got to era IV before turn 130.

The Industry Chart:

The science chart (I never picked a science culture in that game though):

The save file is attached to show what is possible to build in just 167 turns: Italians Turn 167.ctr

The problem here is that after turn 130 the choices that the player makes become completely irrelevant. Every few turns I just queue up an arbitrary list of buildings, districts and technologies, move my units to another place and wait for the next turn. I don't even have to think about era stars since they will be earned basically automatically. Stability and influence become basically irrelevant, food becomes irrelevant because every city gets one new population each turn. The only thing left to do with the game is conquering the rest of the world, and even that becomes boring once the player has a certain scientific advantage over the AI.

In other games like Civ6 or Civ Beyond Earth there is a specific victory condition I need to plan for, so I have a certain goal. However, in Humandkind the Fame victory leaves me off without a goal that I need to work towards and the abundance of resources I have at my disposal in the late game makes only land being the limiting factor in the long run. If there is no challenge or goal, then the game becomes less interesting.

I really like the early and mid game, especially when stability is the main limiting factor and I need to really carefully think about every single choice I am making. But during the industrial era all of these problems solve themselves. Here are a few reasons why the late game still is unbalanced and some ideas how to fix those specific things:

1. The city cap does not do anything, because (a) it has no significant impact on the late game influence generation (so the city cap should have a percentage-based impact, not a fixed value), and (b) there is still no real influence sink in the late game (so there needs to be something expensive that I is very desirable so that influence does become useful again)
  2. Builder stars are way too cheap. Almost every time I enter a new era I instantly get a builder star. Especially once there are commons quarters, builder stars need to get way more expensive.
  3. Settling new colonies is way too cheap. Something like 200 influence for the colony plans is a small fraction of the influence per turn a player gets at this stage of the game. More powerful colony models need to be more expensive. And I think the better way would actually be to require a settler for this, because otherwise I just have a horse unit running around new continents, settling new cities, and in just a few turns they have 20 population, make more than a hundred industry per turn and have 10 districts. This basically breaks builder stars, expansionist stars, and population stars completely.

The only quick fix for this that I can currently think of for the more general underlying issue is increasing the cost for later era buildings, districts, technologies, and units in the late game even more. Assuming that a skilled player is able to snowball the cost needs to scale exponentially, not linearly (at least on the higher difficulties). Also, the AI needs to keep up with the exponential growth of the player, but that is another issue. Regarding economy there are different bottlenecks in different phases of the game. In the early game influence and stability are the main bottlenecks. So the late game needs a different kind of bottleneck and specific key elements that help me solve those bottlenecks. And I don't think that it makes sense to use the same metrics (population, territories, districts, influence, technologies, money, etc) as major goals for the late game, because these are issues that in the real world stopped being a goal by which we measure the success of a culture.

I think an easy thing that could address this is having more valuable competitive deeds for the late game that bring around a thousand fame or so. The competitive deed system in Humankind is really great, because it gives players a large variety of goals which they can pursue that are all measured in the same "currency". However, they generally feel a bit under-powered, which in the early and mid game is not a real problem, since the player needs to build up an empire. However, when the empire is build up, the empire itself is not a good goal, but competitive deeds should be the main fame source in the late game. Every player can then think about they own favorite path through those deeds and needs to do it quickly because others might work towards the same goal. Then I would actually need to think about how to get there, and need to design my empire in a way that helps me get there. Of course the path there should be challenging, and not just being the first one to research a certainly technology or to build two districts. Those should require for example specific resources, or the collaboration of different cities on different continents, or constructing different parts in different cities and merging them together afterwards. The more complex those competitive deeds become, the more interesting it would be to see the progress of other players towards them, which might need a bit more design work. But I think for the initial release, it would be just sufficient to have very valuable challenging deeds to compete for in the late game that give the late a specific purpose.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 6:53:07 AM

In a game against empire difficulty, i managed to keep up with the AI, but surpass them once I got to early modern era. The main issue I found was that my culture was progressing far faster than my tech could. I was putting some pretty good effort into science, but I was at the English longbowman tech by the time I had just reach the industrial era. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 9:29:40 AM
ritchiaro wrote:

The problem here is that after turn 130 the choices that the player makes become completely irrelevant. Every few turns I just queue up an arbitrary list of buildings, districts and technologies, move my units to another place and wait for the next turn. I don't even have to think about era stars since they will be earned basically automatically.

I pretty much agree with this assessment. The only difference I have is that I never think about era stars. If you're playing, you will get them (the game has a strong everyone gets a trophy mentality). Every time I play, I win. On the other hand, I am still unable to really explore the map fully before I win. I can't really build cities. There are no naval battles. I can't engage with the other nations except to hear stupid comments about my haircut. The latest fiasco was some dead AI spawning scouts in my nation that I had to remove from the game every turn. This game just feels directionless and buggy.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 10:42:07 AM
My progress through the eras was way too fast compared to my science progress. At the end of the game, I was still fighting with crossbowmen and crushing the AI who was really late (in Metropolis difficulty). I couldn't test planes :'(
My influence growth was exponential. It was hard to get in the beginning, but, in the end of the game, I didn't know what to do with so much resource, as all the territories was conquered. 
I had issues with food and science because I was too busy stabilizing my cities, building forts and stuff. But I don't think the game is to blame for that: I might have expanded my kingdom too quickly.

Concerning the religion, I didn't really understand how it works but I had the main religion without doing nothing.

The neolithic era was kind of fast on this dev. I had my first outpost turn 1 and my 2nd turn 3. Such a shame : i love being a caveman looking for a nice place to settle :D. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 11:47:36 AM

This was my first playthrough of Humankind. I'm an deity Civ player but never really got into the Endless games.

Too fast. In my game, special units became obsolete before I had the opportunity to build them. When I had the tech to produce the arabic cavalry, I was teching so fast, there was no need to build them. Skipping every second era of units seemed to be more efficient. Bottom line: time with the units feels very short, they get outdated very quickly.

Teching felt okay due to picking a science civ after starting with Olmecs (researched a new tech every 3-5 turns, which was maybe a tiny bit too fast for a "normal" game speed). But even then i was hardly keeping up with the era progress speed (which seemed way too high in my humble opinion, I finished the beta on turn 188 - and there was already a lot of stuff in these 5 eras! maybe stretch it out a bit). This raises the question, if a player not picking science in the first two civ picks can even compete. I guess s/he will fall behin fast and therefore have a different experience (but not a good one).

Okay for me. What I absolutely disliked was the impact of trade on stability and food. Only because two other civilizations declared war, 3 trade routes were interrupted and my food in almost all cities went from positive surplus (~+25) to negative (~-20). Addtionally, I lost ~10 stability in all cities which really crippled my ability to react to the situation. This was a really bad experience and left me with the thought: "Trade is way too good not to do it, but it leaves the player extremely vulnerable to uncontrolable situations that can cripple his entire empire". So bottom line, it feels like a gamble you have to do. This is really disheartening and does not feel good at all.

Money felt obsolte, all other of the FIMS seemed to be equally okay. Went with a surpplus of food between 20 and 40 in all cities, targeted enough production so that new districts would take 3-4 turns to build - and if both conditions were met, the city would focus on science. This way, I was able to finish the game with ~20% more science then the next player. Which does not seem very much, comparing that I hold 10 cities compared to 4 and it was the normal difficulty. But yeah, I totally skipped money and religion and always had enough of them. My religion even was present on almost the whole continent before building my first holy site. Buying stuff in cities seemed way too expensive with money, so I skipped that entirely. Influence on the other hand was different to all other ressources. It was really important in the first 2-3 eras, but then became obsolte pretty fast (I know about the shenanigans you can do detatching/reattatching territories, but that does not feel good - it does not feel like an intended way to play the game and more of a time tax if you want to optimize). Currently I don't see a reason why a player would pick an influnce civ after era 3 or 4.

Hard to say. Didn't focus on it at all, but got some nice boni from it. Later on after picking a productive civ (3rd era), building holy sites was okay (around 7 turns). Before that, it would have taken my cities 15-20 turns, which seemed way too long (and yes, I know that they can be produced by multiple cities, but it didn't seem worthwhile to me). Besides that, Religion had no impact to my game, really (besides some crude diplomatic demands and grievances).

Felt okay (have no comparison, because like i said this was my first playthrough). A bit too quick, maybe. I didn't really saw an alternative to placing the first outpost really fast, so I'm not sure if there is a reasonbale way to stall it (and why somebody should do it, there are not that many points to get and you would risk to lose out civ options).

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 12:57:45 PM

I would like to make a point about unit- tech and pacing. The most unit technologies are out of the way in the tech tree, and choosing for a unit tech is often at a steep technology cost. The techs to boost your sceince are on the other part of the tech-tree (like the research district) and unit techs are often skippable. Both AI and players are still using tier 1 units in the early modern age and it seems really slow down progress to get towards age appropriate units, making it harder to get to the age appropriate units a era later. This is a shame as i really enjoy the diversity of units in the game. I've tried to focus on strong technology income early, but i found out that the scaling of technology (or other economical progress) in the later era's is so large that the investments in the early eras don't really matter. I would suggest that the gains in later era's would be more related to choices made early.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 20, 2021, 1:48:46 PM

I think progress speed felt fine. You really get to enjoy each era before advancing to the next one. However, I'm not sure if being able to reach the contemporary era before turn 150 is appropriate for a game that is supposed to last 250-300 turns.

I feel this aspect of the game is the one that needs the most work. I don't think I was bad at playing the game. In my run, I ended up in first place by a lot and never felt I was behind technologically in relation to the AI (Nation difficulty). However, I was always one or two eras behind from my own era progress, even while picking a scientific culture during the ancient era. Admitedly, I focused more on food and production, as those felt more important for the early game. But even when my science exploded by picking the Joseon in the early modern era, I was so behind, I only managed to get two or three industrial era techs by the time I reached the contemporary era.

This has obvious implications for the game experience. To give some examples, my first overseas colony was established only by the end of the industrial era (and I don't even think the AI discovered the new world) and I was never able to build my emblematic unit during the corresponding era. Obviously, I didn't get to experience late-game warfare, as I didn't even come close to getting a plane.

Maybe the story could have been different if I had focused more on science during the early game, but I feel you shouldn't get as much lag as I did if you don't focus on science early.

This part felt satisfyingly natural, with some effort being required to grow a city early on, but not too much once it's developed. Yet population didn't spiral out of control as in previous OpenDev iterations.

Food - Value = King, Growth = Fine

Industry - Value = Very Important, Growth = Fine, but spirals way out of control for the rest of the game if you pick a builder culture once (or maybe Maya legacy is too OP)

Science - Value = Important, Growth = Way too slow

Money - Near inconsequential (built my first market quater in the industrial era just for fun and never had any issues), Growth = Shrug?

Influence - Value = Important, only because of its many uses,  Growth = Too fast. Even with civics requiring influence, I often found myslef with a lot of unused influence.

I don't think the religious bonuses per se are bad, but religious management still feels too passive. Just build a holy site whenever available and reap the benefits. The opportunity cost of building a holy site is very low, especially considering the stability bonus it gives, it's a no-brainer to build one whenever it's available.

Feels perfect for me. You get to explore the map a little bit, but not too much, and you don't get to grow your tribe as much (which is a good thing imo).

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment