Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 8:43:47 PM

My specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, 3.8 GHz+
  • Nvidia GTX 1060, driver version 466.77
  • Windows 10
  • Game installed on an ADATA SX8100NP M.2/NVMe
  • Dual monitors, one ASUS LCD clunker from 8 years ago on HDMI and one Lenovo G25-10 on DisplayPort

I've tried everything I can think of to make the game run better but regardless of what I do, the closed beta version runs horribly. Choppy animations, significant input lag, visual rips and tears. This wasn't at all an issue in the Victor OpenDev which ran flawlessly. I've noticed that there's particularly low GPU utilization in task manager, sub-10% at times, but I have no clue what I can do about that.

Things I've tried:

1. Playing with a single monitor active and the other unplugged (thought maybe G-sync was an issue)
  2. Playing on each quality level, both on loading a new game and swapping graphics levels in game
  3. Playing on each window mode
  4. Using various lower resolutions
  5. Updating GPU drivers, restart
  6. Running in administrator mode
  7. Complete reinstall, restart
At this point the only things I can think of trying are swapping my install location to a different drive (I have a couple older HDDs and one SSD for OS, but my current drive works perfectly fine for other games) and disabling Windows Defender (firewall exception? is there some sort of telemetry or EGS thing holding me back?).

I really love this game from what I played in Victor OpenDev so I'm kinda sad that I can't experience more of it with this next iteration. I've attached a few diagnostics, hope it helps.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 9:02:09 PM

I have had a massive drop off on performance as well.  I have a gaming laptop with a GTX 1660. I had crashes with Victor, but good performance.  This Beta (which I am/was excited to play) takes forever a day to load, and has poor performance.

The main reason I haven't pre-bought is this concern, and regrettably, if the main game (with more eras et al) is not a dramatic step up in optimization, I'll struggle to play it.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 9:15:42 PM

I got older laptop, so it is almost unplayable under "Fastest" setting, definitely unplayable under "Good" setting (crashes, freezes, lags with every button click)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 10:33:03 PM

I got a brand new laptop meeting the minimum requirements (Core i7 + 8GB RAM) and it is unplayable even in the lowest settings. It just crashed on me for the third time today :-( I'm really sad because the game is excellent.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 10:37:39 PM

I have to chime in with the choir here. The game is still playable for me and my son, but feels slower. i7, GTX 1080 8GB VRAM, 32GB RAM, i7, 1070 8G VRAM, 16GB RAM. 

Previous OpenDevs have run fine on max graphical settings for both of us. This one is noticeable slower. Upon loading the game and getting to the first set-up screen, the various AI avatars portraits takes time to load now. They look like some pixelated early 1990 game characters enlarged from 480p to 1440p before they finally load in etc. No, not talking about the content creators AI portraits (that needs to be linked to games2gether acct), but also the regular AI avatars portraits takes time to load now. Not had that happen before. The game in general feels a bit slower, laggier and more sluggish with this Closed Beta version.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 14, 2021, 11:09:11 PM

I noticed the game is running on Unity.

Currently, I have tested several games under Unity and I have the same problem CPU and GPU overheating, 80 degrees and more.

While I have an I7 8th gen, GForce 1070ti 6go vram, 24ram but on a laptop, I have no performance issues or overheating on games that do not use Unity.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 1:14:00 AM

My computer is pretty bad, but Im used to playing strategy games on 20fps or so. Humankind not only stops at around 8 for me, but it freezes everytime a unit moves...

I hope they make lower graphics settings and optimize it, the game looks pretty fun but its impossible to play for me

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 1:35:57 AM

I have an RTX 2080 Ti, and this game on the lowest graphics settings heats up my graphics card to 50C, on the highest to 80C.

Just for comparison, I can play Doom Eternal on High graphics at a cool 40-45C.

Fans are already up to 80%, I have them automated to increase in speed and lower on speed depending on temperature.

The graphics settings for Humankind be cannot edited separately but only in presets.

Is this normal?

Or is this just due to poor optimization?

Any help and tips is greatly appreciated.

TLDR;

Humankind is overheating my computer to an unreasonable amount.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 3:26:03 AM
Josarifire18 wrote:

I have an RTX 2080 Ti, and this game on the lowest graphics settings heats up my graphics card to 50C, on the highest to 80C.

Fans are already up to 80%, I have them automated to increase in speed and lower on speed depending on temperature.

The graphics settings for Humankind be cannot edited separately but only in presets.

Is this normal?

TLDR;

Note that heat is a cooling issue. Not a gaming issue. If you don't like heat, get a better fan curve or address your cooling.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 3:16:22 PM
satoru wrote:
Josarifire18 wrote:

Is this normal?

TLDR;

Note that heat is a cooling issue. Not a gaming issue. If you don't like heat, get a better fan curve or address your cooling.

That is not entirely true, certain games if not optimized correctly consume to many resources and that leads to overheating.
I will go into more detail later, but just for at a glance information, I have 1 water cooler for my Processor.
My 2080 Ti comes with 2 fans, and I have an additional 3 fans in my case for airflow. This game should not overheat my PC.

If I can play Doom Eternal, a more graphical intensive game at a cool 40-45C on a high graphics settings.
There is no reason that the lowest graphics settings in Humankind heats up my PC to 50C.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 5:00:51 PM

I would just like to provide a reference point for the devs. My computer runs it fine on best settings. Clearly, there is a point between the people above me in this thread and my computer where the game stops working right.

Specs:

Intel i7-10700 (8-core/16-thread, 2.9 GHz with boost to 4.8 GHz) -- Liquid cooled

MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk mainboard

16 GB DDR4 RAM

Nvidia RTX 2070S - 8GB VRAM (Gigabyte branded)

Win10 (64-bit)

1TB M.2 SSD as C drive

Game is installed on a 2TB SSD

I wish both the players in this thread and the developers luck in addressing the issues.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 6:08:23 PM
Aloriel wrote:

I would just like to provide a reference point for the devs. My computer runs it fine on best settings. Clearly, there is a point between the people above me in this thread and my computer where the game stops working right.

Specs:

Intel i7-10700 (8-core/16-thread, 2.9 GHz with boost to 4.8 GHz) -- Liquid cooled

MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk mainboard

16 GB DDR4 RAM

Nvidia RTX 2070S - 8GB VRAM (Gigabyte branded)

Win10 (64-bit)

1TB M.2 SSD as C drive

Game is installed on a 2TB SSD

I wish both the players in this thread and the developers luck in addressing the issues.

yes it runs without lag or problem but it should not overheat my pc while it runs with everything minimum.

knowing that if I look at the recommended configuration on the game page, I'm way above it. it should therefore not have as much consumption of resources.

you gave us the characteristics of your pc but without telling us the operating temperature in this game or in others.

if you could just do a little benchmark of several games and see which is normal or not and give them to us.

We could then see if it comes from us or from something else.

thank you

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 6:35:50 PM

I'll have to do it after work today if I get a chance before my RPG this evening. I suspect it's not heating my computer much. I don't recall my fans going crazy like they do in Star Citizen.

EDIT:

Being slightly stuck on something for work, I decided to take a few moments to test it. Open Hardware Monitor reports that all of my cores are reading 37-45°C while doing a few late game turns of my already finished game from last night. Fan power for my case fans isn't listed, but they were fairly quiet.

Compare this to Star Citizen, which moments after loading into the world I am already seeing 53°C on some cores and none of them are below 50°C. My fans are picking up power, and will probably nearly max out. I'm not even moving around in SC, just standing in a hab.

Both of these need to be modified by the fact that I am running Unreal Engine 4 (for work) in the background as well. So, that would be heating my system a bit too, since it has a full 3D rendering engine running at the same time.  I don't normally have UE4 running while gaming. I figured for this test it would only add to the impact and make problems more obvious.

Essentially, I am running Humankind on best graphics without much heating. This could be because I am liquid cooling the CPU and have decent airflow (all wires are secured out of the way), but even that doesn't stop Star Citizen from heating up the system. I am fairly certain that most games do not impact this system much.

EDIT part 2:

Looking back at the thread, I also noticed that you, Dragonrunne, mentioned that you have problems with games built on Unity. I do have two other Unity built games to test (Cities: Skylines and Kerbal Space Program), but I don't have saves I can just load up, as I haven't played either in quite a while. Updates will have broken my saves. I'd have to play for hours to get something that would even push my system. Further, you mentioned you are playing on a laptop. Laptops notoriously heat up much more than desktops. They just don't have the space for good airflow, and close proximity of other parts only adds to the problem.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 7:42:33 PM

Thank you for the information,

For my part I have no problem with old unity games, I am talking about recent games like Edge of Eternity for example.

I have no cooling problems with my laptop, I am in a room set at 18 ° C,

I can play for a long time without problem, Days Gone (on middle ) plus 6 hours without exceeding 68 ° C, the same for Anno 1800 (on high), Death Stranding (on high) or EvilGenius 2 (on high).

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 15, 2021, 8:07:43 PM

Good point. Room temperature can also have an impact. I have my thermostat set to 72°F (22°C) for all of this. The room is almost certainly warmer than that, as it is typically the warmest room in the house. I don't have a thermometer in here, but you can feel a significant temperature change as you come up the stairs. I will also have to check Anno 1800 and Evil Genius 2 to verify their temperatures.

For reference, none of my games are set to anything lower than highest graphics settings, except (I think) Star Citizen, which may be on high.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 6:47:37 PM

Just wanted to add something I noticed as I keep trying in vain to get the game playable, lol. Prior to setting up a game, on the main menu the Edgar Allan Poe avatar is animated very smooth and as expected of a high quality idle animation kind of thing. When I return to main menu from a game, which still runs poorly, the Edgar Allan Poe avatar is now animated like he's moving through molasses. Same degree of choppiness and lack of visual quality as what happens in-game.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 7:23:24 PM

I have had the same problem as many here. I'm currently reinstalling the game, trying to see if it works. Fastest setting still rips and tears, the computer heats like never before. 

My video card is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 which is higher than recommended requirements, with Ryzen 5 3550H. I'm not as well versed in computers as others here but I know mine runs Stellaris with max graphics on max speed without a hitch and only the occasional small hitch on the yearly save.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 7:53:50 PM

For all of You having issue with Your PC's and GPU's running very hot. The-Cat-o-Nine-Tails made this reply to that issue in another thread. 

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Hello everybody,

There is a workaround for this, but it is a bit technical, so please be careful with this:

Go do "Documents/Humankind/User/[alpha-numeric code]" and open the registry file there with a text editor.

Find the "<Display>" section in this document.

At the end of this section, add the following line: <MaxFrameRate>30</MaxFrameRate>

When you're done, it should look something like this (with the appropriate resolution and quality level and your desired framerate, of course):

<Display>
<DisplayMode>FullscreenWindow</DisplayMode>
<Resolution>3840x2160 (0)</Resolution>
<VSyncCount>0</VSyncCount>
<QualityLevel>Medium</QualityLevel>
<MaxFrameRate>30</MaxFrameRate>
</Display>

This will limit the framerate and should help with the overheating issues.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 5:25:47 AM

Thank you for the tip but I am making the limit on the Gforce side

I continued to do tests, and I noticed that the memory of the card here a gforce gtx 1060 6gb, is always saturated about 5.7gb of memory to use, whatever the settings. when i tested on days gone, i found that the memory used changed the settings.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment