Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Overheating & Optimization

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 10:34:37 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Hello everybody,

There is a workaround for this, but it is a bit technical, so please be careful with this:

Go do "Documents/Humankind/User/[alpha-numeric code]" and open the registry file there with a text editor.

Find the "<Display>" section in this document.

At the end of this section, add the following line: <MaxFrameRate>30</MaxFrameRate>

When you're done, it should look something like this (with the appropriate resolution and quality level and your desired framerate, of course):

<Display>
<DisplayMode>FullscreenWindow</DisplayMode>
<Resolution>3840x2160 (0)</Resolution>
<VSyncCount>0</VSyncCount>
<QualityLevel>Medium</QualityLevel>
<MaxFrameRate>30</MaxFrameRate>
</Display>

This will limit the framerate and should help with the overheating issues.

Can confirm this works, thank you so much for the fix.

I can now play on the Good graphics setting with below 40C temperature.

But if you run this fix with Vsync on, it slowly begins to climb to over 55C temperatures.

Although, I am not sure if this is just due to my monitor, without Vsync I appear to be suffering from some major screen tearing.

This fix works for now, and hopefully this can be polished before release in order for us with high end PCs to enjoy the beauty that is game has to offer.

Thank you so much once again.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 10:38:23 PM
Aristos wrote:

Hello everybody,

There is a workaround for this, but it is a bit technical, so please be careful with this:

Go do "Documents/Humankind/User/[alpha-numeric code]" and open the registry file there with a text editor.

At the end of this section, add the following line: <MaxFrameRate>30</MaxFrameRate>

When you're done, it should look something like this (with the appropriate resolution and quality level and your desired framerate, of course):

<Display>
</Display>

But that is the purpose and work of VSync.

Yes, indeed.

Having said that, this method works perfectly for my RTX 2070 SUPER which is now back to reasonable temperatures (~50°C / 2560x1440 / fantastic). Before, I had the same problems as those mentioned above (GPU usage at 99% and 70°C)...
I imagine that this will be easily fixed for the release of the game ^^

Thanks for the tip The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales ;)

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 10:39:40 PM
Josarifire18 wrote:

Hello everybody,

<Display>
</Display>

Can confirm this works, thank you so much for the fix.

I can now play on the Good graphics setting with below 40C temperature.

But if you run this fix with Vsync on, it slowly begins to climb to over 55C temperatures.

Although, I am not sure if this is just due to my monitor, without Vsync I appear to be suffering from some major screen tearing.

This fix works for now, and hopefully this can be polished before release in order for us with high end PCs to enjoy the beauty that is game has to offer.

Thank you so much once again.

Update I can play on the highest graphics settings with below 45C tempeature.

Vsync still needs to be off though.

Thank you once again.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 16, 2021, 11:01:35 PM

Nope.

In fact, made things worse for me. Without VSync, I see horrible tear effects even if at 60 FPS. Was better before this "fix".

Oh, and the change did nothing to decrease high GPU usage and high VRAM usage.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 12:24:49 AM

Hello everybody,

<Display>
</Display>

This worked for me as well, though as Josarifire18 mentioned, there is a bit of screen tearing. Regardless, I am very happy to be able to actually dive into the beta, and am looking forward to sharing my experience once I have played though the scenario.

Thank you very much for sharing a workaround!! 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 2:52:37 AM

To avoid tearing and properly limit the frame rate, use the Nvidia control panel and set it to Adaptive Sync (Half it you want lower fps limit). I have a 120 hz monitor, so I used half to get 60 fps and the game is very smooth.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 5:07:01 PM

This 30 fps fix didnt work for me. Im even tun off V-Sync and put my graphic settings to: good. It still runs between GPU 77-80C Did i do it right? I opened the file with editor and copy paste it in. Sry if i did it wrong im not good at those things. But like i said. Didnt work for me. And from what i have expirienced those things never get fixed. And can i ask on what device you play? Im playing on a Laptop. Does it make it a difference?

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 9:42:20 PM

Wat seems to have helped for me (RTX2080 super Ryzen 3900x) is to go into nvidia panel and limit the framerate to 30fps AND turn v-sync off. I left settings on maximum.

I dont know how to see temperature (?) but my gfx usage has gone from close to 100% when you d often hear the fan working for 2-3 sec to about 50%.

A side-effect of this seems to be my memory usage increased dramatically though from like 2000mb to like 6500mb. Thats not a lot for the amount of RAM i have though so dont care about that.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 22, 2021, 4:20:36 PM

I also had to tune down quite a bit my video settings to play this build, turning off Vsync and setting Quality Level to Fastest. Otherwise, on higher quality levels, I'd experienced frequent crashes, and an over use of my GPUs, leading to some partial overheating.

That felt quite weird and annoying, since I've been able to enjoy both Lucy and Victor OpenDevs on highest settings without too much performance flaws or crashes.

Here are my specs for the record :

HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics, ~3.0GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

GPU 1 : AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics

GPU 2 : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 18, 2021, 2:44:26 AM

Not sure if this is appropriate to post here since the game's out now, but I'm getting very high GPU usage and temps on Fantastic running a 3070ti. Turning Vsync on or off or limiting frames to 60 fps in the game's menu doesn't appear to help too much.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 18, 2021, 10:00:42 AM

Adding on to the pile. My GPU (RTX 2080) sounds like a jet engine when I run this game. I know this is a (slightly) older post, but this is what comes up in google when I search for the problem. I tried limiting the fps to 60 as well.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 10:34:13 AM

Hi- sorry also to add to an old thread but I have the same issue - doesn't seem to matter which quality setting, FPS lock, VSync - I am 100% on my 3060 gpu and the fans are going wild!

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 19, 2021, 1:31:05 PM

Hi I also have GPU temperature problems.

RTX 2070 Super in use. Capped at 70-80 fps or with Vsync activated at 75hz I reach temps of above 80°C, capped at 40 and below its the normal 50-60°C.  The jump happens between 50 and 60 fps when the temps suddenly skyrocket to 76°C and above, this behaviour barely changes when I reduce resolution or overall quality. I can play with the lowest possible settings, when I go above 50 fps the temps to crazy. Latest drivers are installed and hardware is regularely cleaned. No similar problems with any other games. Is there another solution except capping the game at 30 fps? Game feels insanely smooth with high fps, it would be a shame to miss that.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment