Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[PC/STEAM - 1.0.21.3727] College (Scots Emblematic Quarter) Effects Do Not Match Description

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Feb 2, 2023, 4:18:19 PM

For reference, in the encyclopedia and game the College's description is:

EMBLEMATIC DISTRICT

+3  Science

-10  Stability

+2  Science on  Research Quarter

+2  Influence on Religious District

Count as " Research Quarter "

From this description, I would expect each College district to buff ALL Research Quarters (with +2 Science) and ALL Religious Districts (with +2 Influence) in a city.

What actually happens is each College only buffs Research Quarters and Religious District in the same territory. It might also be more accurate to also say that the bonuses buff the College district itself rather than "on" the other districts (see attached pic). Also, it's presented like it has a base +5 Science, although this might be a way of presenting the general +2 Science bonus on itself (since it counts as a RQ).

I suspect that this was an intentional nerf at some point and might already be a known issue.

If so, a more accurate description of the current effects might be:

EMBLEMATIC DISTRICT

+5  Science

-10  Stability

+2  Science for every other Research Quarter in territory

+2  Influence for every other Religious District in territory

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 2, 2023, 7:23:15 PM

Yeah, I've seen weird inconsistencies with the College in my last game; that was a multiplayer save so I haven't fired it up again to do more testing.  As far as I could tell, the College was properly boosting the science of RQs according to the District Placement Wizard -- I went from Scots to Signapore and did some enormous mergers, so according to the District Placement Wizard each RQ should have added 50+ science (from 24+ Colleges), but the displayed tile yield wasn't showing the bonus at all.

I'd love to hear from the devs what's going on and what the intention is.

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 13, 2023, 11:06:14 AM

Hello!

We have indeed issues on how the College's +2 Science and +2 Influence bonuses are currently feedbacked. We'll inestigate a solution to improve the description of those effects so it show that those bonus are applied on the College's tile and are only impacted by RQ and Reglious districts located in the same territory.

Thank you for taking the time to write your bug report!

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 13, 2023, 4:13:54 PM
Tyor wrote:

Hello!

We have indeed issues on how the College's +2 Science and +2 Influence bonuses are currently feedbacked. We'll inestigate a solution to improve the description of those effects so it show that those bonus are applied on the College's tile and are only impacted by RQ and Reglious districts located in the same territory.

Thank you for taking the time to write your bug report!

It's a bit disappointing to hear the College is intended to boost Research and Religious Districts only in the same territory as themselves.  Other contemporary or near-contemporary districts, like the Venetian Botteghe and the Mexican Hacienda boost (as well as earlier Nazca Lines, Mississippian Mounds, etc.) boost all associated districts city-wide.  I totally get that the Ming Tea Houses and Austrian Opernhauser were too powerful when they benefitted city-wide, but is there a concern that the Scots College would be too strong city-wide and needs to be territory-only?

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 13, 2023, 10:25:21 PM
RedSirus wrote:
I totally get that the Ming Tea Houses and Austrian Opernhauser were too powerful when they benefitted city-wide, but is there a concern that the Scots College would be too strong city-wide and needs to be territory-only?

In my admittedly limited playtime with the Scots so far, I've found the Legacy Trait % boost per Research Agreement to be their most powerful advantage. If you are playing "diplomatically" and try to keep lots of players in the game (which also maximizes grievances and leverage drops) it's easy to get huge percentage gains - even more so on larger maps with lots of players to begin with. e.g., 5 other players with 4 (Embassy) Agreements each = 60% Science boost. I think it's entirely plausible that the citywide boost was too powerful in combination with that. 

Compare that to the French who only get a flat 10% boost as their LT but have the Collective Minds ability. In my experience, their Exhibition Halls generally get bigger district-only Science and Influence boosts than the College, but I could see the College being a better fit in those arctic territories that practically beg to be made into Research specialty districts. 

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 14, 2023, 10:12:10 PM
glenjen75 wrote:
In my admittedly limited playtime with the Scots so far, I've found the Legacy Trait % boost per Research Agreement to be their most powerful advantage

Fair point.  They've got a situational but killer LT, I guess it's just a shame that their EQ is so lackluster, but I can see where it's coming from for balance.  I guess it would be more flavourful if it boosted RQs in a different way than just Sci+2, I suppose.

0Send private message
a year ago
Jun 19, 2023, 8:41:25 PM
glenjen75 wrote:

For reference, in the encyclopedia and game the College's description is:

EMBLEMATIC DISTRICT

+3  Science

-10  Stability

+2  Science on  Research Quarter

+2  Influence on Religious District

From this description, I would expect each College district to buff ALL Research Quarters (with +2 Science) and ALL Religious Districts (with +2 Influence) in a city.

What actually happens is each College only buffs Research Quarters and Religious District in the same territory. It might also be more accurate to also say that the bonuses buff the College district itself rather than "on" the other districts (see attached pic). Also, it's presented like it has a base +5 Science, although this might be a way of presenting the general +2 Science bonus on itself (since it counts as a RQ).

I suspect that this was an intentional nerf at some point and might already be a known issue.

The description may be unclear regarding the base science bonus. Perhaps it should have been introduced as an overall science bonus of +2 instead of +5, as it is considered separate from other districts. I play it often when I find college homework examples, use https://papersowl.com/examples/ for that. Then I have free time. I recommend that you contact the game developers or other player communities, where you can get more accurate information about the real effects of the College Quarter and clarify any misunderstandings that have arisen due to a discrepancy between the description and reality in the game.

If so, a more accurate description of the current effects might be:

EMBLEMATIC DISTRICT

+5  Science

-10  Stability

+2  Science for every other Research Quarter in territory

+2  Influence for every other Religious District in territory

I understand your confusion about the emblematic College Quarter and its effects. It seems that the description in the encyclopedia and in the game is not true, and this may cause misunderstandings.

Instead of buffing all Research and Religious Districts in a city, each College District only buffs the one territory it is located in. This is a limitation that blurs the description and understanding of the block effects.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
9 months ago
Oct 20, 2023, 10:34:08 PM

Bumping this because the information is still inaccurately displayed in game.  I'm in a Nazca - Mississippi- Ottoman - Scots run where I picked the Scots specifically to boost my old EQs (my cities are only 4 territories, so it wasn't going to be anything crazy.) I'm in the camp that the college doesn't need the territory restriction, but if there are concerns about the LT and unrestricted college being too much, I'd rather see the %s on the LT get adjusted. As is, the college feels a little underwhelming.

Regardless of the decision made on balance, I'd really love to see the tooltip and encyclopedia info corrected. It's frustrating that I can't get accurate info on how the game works anywhere - I only saw this because I came to report it and it got spam bumped. I thought it was bad that the Oceania DLC still had old figures in the encyclopedia.

Updated 9 months ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment