Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Dungeon
Universe banner wording

Denuvo in Endless Dungeon - Please remove it!

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Nov 23, 2022, 8:34:12 AM
SpikedWallMan wrote:

If DRM goes defunct, then the only option is to send paying customers to really shady piracy websites to download sketchy cracks that may or may not contain malware.  

The obvious thing to do in this case would be to change or remove the DRM with an update of the game. That's one of the beauty of digital distribution: releasing the game with Denuvo doesn't mean we have to use it forever. 

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 23, 2022, 10:43:09 AM
Astamarr wrote:
SpikedWallMan wrote:

If DRM goes defunct, then the only option is to send paying customers to really shady piracy websites to download sketchy cracks that may or may not contain malware.  

The obvious thing to do in this case would be to change or remove the DRM with an update of the game. That's one of the beauty of digital distribution: releasing the game with Denuvo doesn't mean we have to use it forever. 

You have my genuine thanks for adressing the top concern in these forums. From what I understand, this is not your decision to make though. History shows that most publishers do not care about game preservation and won't care about removing the DRM. There's even an argument to be made that this isn't in their best interests, but more on that later.

Only a handful of games removed or replaced the Gamespy requirement, just as only a handful of games removed SecuROM. Why would Denuvo be any different? History shows that most of the stubborn publishers still using that middleware will simply forget their games even exist and sell you a new version again in a few years when that one stopped functioning.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/SecuROM
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/GameSpy 

In the meantime, in return for the resources and time the developer - you - has to waste on its implementation, you get unplayable games, performance issues and incompatibilities and it's your customers which have to deal with the consequences, making Denuvo counter-productive.

Since a video is worth a thousand words, you can see it happening right here:Can't play MH:Rise because of DRM (live in front of 60k viewers)

Do you think the streamer, or any of their viewers will buy another game with Denuvo after such a display of contempt for a legitimate customer's experience? When Denuvo servers are down on their side, games without a valid activation token will not start, online or not. A sizable part of the games that had Denuvo removed recently had it during last year's global outage, however some companies such as EA, SEGA, Frontier and Ubisoft DGAF about their users and kept it in showing how unlikely it is they'll remove it later.
People also recently reported that it seems to trigger a 24 hour lockout if you play games on desktop computer and switch to the Steam Deck: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1687950/discussions/0/3489752656786031116/?ctp=2#c3489752656790504351

Another point I have seen made here was that Denuvo checks are similar to Steam checks, which is inaccurate. Contrary to Denuvo, Steamworks and the optional DRM it offers have no built-in expiration timer: Bar human error, a glitch or a publisher implementing their own DRM, you can stay offline indefinitely on Steam and keep enjoying your games for as long as you want even in the unlikely event of Steam's demise. Plus, even though they do not advertise that fact, Steam also sells some DRM-free games something which I might add your main competitor in the turn based strategy genre, Paradox, has been doing with excellent financial results for years.

Steamworks offers a plethora of services in exchange for the digital-only model which is why it's tolerated, even appreciated by most customers while Denuvo does not give anything back for the occasional inconvenience it represents. :clickbutton: 

Final point, there's a non negligible consideration that some fraction of the industry is using Denuvo as a way to artificially add planned obsolescence to their games, which is all the more deplorable that building a product to fail is an actual engineering design consideration injected by marketing and not a conspiracy theory. When producers of durable goods must compete with previous generations of their own products, firms can engage in planned obsolescence to limit the scope of this competition. This tends to be confirmed by publishers keeping Denuvo in their games when it has been available to pirates for years making the customer the only likely target of the middleware.

Ubisoft, for instance, recently tried to effectively remove games from their customer's library before quickly walking it back as a "misunderstanding" when put in front of a quickly rising backlash. Meanwhile SEGA kept Denuvo on several games for which they (mistakenly?) released the Denuvo-free executable themselves, meaning there's factually zero piracy prevented while they seemingly still pay for the middleware's recurrent fees. :clickbutton:

All this, for something that has never proven it even has an effect on sales. Only around 25 games used Denuvo Anti Tamper last year after five years on a downward trend for its adoption rate, let that sink in for a moment.. Wouldn't every company use it if it had any indication that it worked? Piracy is mostly driven by ideological, systemic or socio-economic factors which can't be converted into sales by DRM, no matter how strong it is. In the end, most publishers don't put the burden of that belief on the shoulders of their customers, except for a few deluded executives of a handful of companies known for a long history of anti-consumer business practices.

As a conclusion, what gamers like you and me actually care about is the quality of their games... Denuvo isn't free and doesn't affect pirates who will just play one of the other 10394 games Steam released last year - that's the actual number - I own all your games and DLC, they are all the product of incredibly talented artists so why suddenly treating your loyal customers like thieves? Why not focus the wasted development time and resources towards something that will actually improve the value of the game instead? Why not take the time to develop a healthy relationship with your customers and give pirates incentives to buy instead of trying to force them to? Quality, affordability and availability are way better levers against piracy than any technological means of protection will ever be. 

We don't need to be explained what Denuvo is, the company itself made sure any gamer worth their salt knows already by making the news on the regular with various controversies... what we actually need is devs to join pushback internally against an out of touch decision that will hurt all of us, gamers and developers alike while the middleware purveyor line their pockets with your hard earned revenue. This is far from everything I have to say about Denuvo but I think you got my point already and probably got fed up with me so... I hope you'll consider the unambiguously massive negative feedback the news sparked and in any event, good luck for the release.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 23, 2022, 6:18:25 PM
Astamarr wrote:
SpikedWallMan wrote:

Yes, that is the obvious thing to do.  However, most devs don't care enough to do it.  To many devs, once you've paid your money then you no longer matter.  Not saying that Amplitude is specifically this way, but devs get busy and things get left behind.  I mean, we don't even have the Let The Pug Out update for Dungeon of the Endless on PC, and there are outstanding bugs/issues in Endless Space 2 (including that game-breaking Dark Matter colonization bug, AFAICT).  So given Amplitude's update track record, the odds look a bit slim that Amplitude would find the time to disable Denuvo unless that was to happen while Endless Dungeon is still an actively developed game that is receiving updates.

Very nice post @lukaself, I agree with all of your points.

0Send private message
a year ago
Nov 25, 2022, 2:15:19 AM
lukaself wrote:

Another point I have seen made here was that Denuvo checks are similar to Steam checks, which is inaccurate. Contrary to Denuvo, Steamworks and the optional DRM it offers have no built-in expiration timer: Bar human error, a glitch or a publisher implementing their own DRM, you can stay offline indefinitely on Steam and keep enjoying your games for as long as you want even in the unlikely event of Steam's demise. Plus, even though they do not advertise that fact, Steam also sells some DRM-free games something which I might add your main competitor in the turn based strategy genre, Paradox, has been doing with excellent financial results for years.

Exactly, Games with Denuvo are permamently made Online only, even if you could play offline, you would still have go Online every now and then just to get the check to continue playing offline, and if you dont have internet or the servers get screwed up, thats it, no more Endless Dungeon, all that money and time spent on ED, down the drain. As said by SpikeWallMan before, this game is one step away from becoming a digital brick just by having Denuvo.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Dec 8, 2022, 3:22:02 PM

Was really looking forward to this game but if its got Denuvo I won't be buying it until it is removed, that will be the release date for me.

If you want to incentivize people to buy your game and not pirate it, you can spend the 100000$ you gave to that trash company Denuvo on designing better multiplayer features, fostering a multiplayer community through discord, and also by making quality Steam frills like achievements, HQ animated backgrounds, avatars and frames.

Same reason I won't buy Sonic Frontiers @SEGA.

Its a shame I have to take this stance against a developer who I have great love and respect for.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Dec 9, 2022, 9:35:17 PM

Just gonna leave these here since they're relevant to current discourse but are always forgotten because they run counter to the "DRM protects sales" narrative:

EU study suppressed for concluding piracy does not affect sales:

https://www.engadget.com/2017-09-22-eu-suppressed-study-piracy-no-sales-impact.html

Study shows removal of DRM boosted music sales:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/drm-was-a-bad-move-sales-found-to-increase-10-after-5812288/

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Dec 13, 2022, 10:19:13 PM

I do not care what a creator does with their creation. I trust the people at Amplitude to make a good game and do not care what software they use. I am an artist and do not care about code. If it messes things up it will get removed because they are more worried about the game imo.

0Send private message
a year ago
Dec 14, 2022, 1:04:32 AM
Wreq wrote:

I do not care what a creator does with their creation. I trust the people at Amplitude to make a good game and do not care what software they use. I am an artist and do not care about code. If it messes things up it will get removed because they are more worried about the game imo.

I wouldn't be so confident about it getting removed for the reasons that I already stated.  Also, saying "I am an artist and do not care about code" sort of implies that you don't care about your customers (i.e. the people who pay you), and that lack of care is what leads to broken DRM locking customers out of their purchases.  Not trying to put words in your mouth, but I'm just trying to point out how that's the stance that companies are already taking and is leading to the DRM issues that we are dealing with today.

Azure_Fang wrote:

Just gonna leave these here since they're relevant to current discourse but are always forgotten because they run counter to the "DRM protects sales" narrative:

EU study suppressed for concluding piracy does not affect sales:

https://www.engadget.com/2017-09-22-eu-suppressed-study-piracy-no-sales-impact.html

Study shows removal of DRM boosted music sales:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/drm-was-a-bad-move-sales-found-to-increase-10-after-5812288/

Yep, but we aren't supposed to talk about these facts because piracy is an absolutely great excuse to unleash on unwitting investors if you have an earnings miss.  So you really should be a good little consumer and sweep these reports back under the rug.

0Send private message
0Send private message
a year ago
Dec 14, 2022, 1:36:50 AM

It is entirely likely that the publisher is using the lackluster earnings of Humankind to push piracy even harder for Amplitude games. Or Amplitude is using it to push it even harder at the publisher to get approval for the game. I don't know what you can do to push back against it because it is a hallmark of Sega games at this point.

0Send private message
a year ago
Dec 22, 2022, 7:16:30 PM

I used to care about Denuvo, then realized it hasn't actually stopped me from playing any of the games with it in it. 

0Send private message
a year ago
Dec 22, 2022, 7:22:27 PM
stanleypain wrote:

I used to care about Denuvo, then realized it hasn't actually stopped me from playing any of the games with it in it. 

For now...  Just wait until it goes the way of SafeDisc, SecuROM, and other defunct DRM systems...

0Send private message
a year ago
Jan 13, 2023, 3:59:42 PM

Came to make this same post, glad someone else already made it.
when I see this on the store page for any game, it makes me second guess ANY purchase, even this game, even when I've been looking forward to it for years now.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
a year ago
Jan 19, 2023, 9:59:12 PM

I also support the removal of Denuvo. Like a dev in this thread I also suffered from Spore using it. After 10+ years I still refuse to buy it again and keep continuously pirating it whenever I want to play it. I don't want ED go through the same thing Spore did. Humankind players stated this before, we're stating it again now.

0Send private message
0Send private message
a year ago
Jan 20, 2023, 3:27:59 AM

I mentioned it in a previous Denuvo thread, but I still have my partner who doesn't wish to purchase the game anymore due to the Denuvo DRM implementation and it's heartbreaking since I was really looking forward to entering the space station with them.

I know not much can be done from the developer side, but I'm saying it anyways because this is a really important cause. If not for the people who are already getting the game with concerns, then for those who won't be joining us in the Endless Dungeon because of it:

Please remove Denuvo.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Jan 21, 2023, 2:54:53 AM

Agreed

EmbEro wrote:

I mentioned it in a previous Denuvo thread, but I still have my partner who doesn't wish to purchase the game anymore due to the Denuvo DRM implementation and it's heartbreaking since I was really looking forward to entering the space station with them.

I know not much can be done from the developer side, but I'm saying it anyways because this is a really important cause. If not for the people who are already getting the game with concerns, then for those who won't be joining us in the Endless Dungeon because of it:

Please remove Denuvo.

0Send private message
a year ago
Jan 21, 2023, 3:03:35 AM

What a shame. I was looking forward to buying this game, but I won't support Denuvo.  Hopefully it gets removed at some point.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message