Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Dungeon
Universe banner wording

Denuvo in Endless Dungeon - Please remove it!

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
a year ago
Apr 12, 2023, 9:33:43 PM

i would like to add that it's probably easier to remove Denuvo than patch the bugs it causes

0Send private message
a year ago
Apr 13, 2023, 12:00:08 AM
Khaar wrote:

1.9 million G2G points... but we still feel completely ignored

this thread is the second most popular all Time thread already and is probably the number 1 Most recent popular thread, hopefully with the delay of this game, They might remove denuvo sometime in the next 5-6 months, because to ignore this amount of backlash would just be asking for the game to fail.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
a year ago
Apr 13, 2023, 12:19:18 PM
CaptainCobbs wrote:

You already got your response a few pages back

But it was not the correct response.  :P

I also gave my response that I don't buy Denuvo games unless they are significantly discounted.  So we're at an impasse here that I hope can be resolved before release.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
a year ago
Apr 17, 2023, 2:18:20 PM
SpikedWallMan wrote:

We've now passed the 2 million G2G point mark...

Well, it's not "Games2Gether" anymore and it shows it wasn't just the name that changed. What did happen for them to go from developing with the input of their customers front and center to simply ignoring the massive negative feedback? 

Something went unfathomably wrong somewhere.

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Apr 17, 2023, 3:57:57 PM
lukaself wrote:

Well, it's not "Games2Gether" anymore and it shows it wasn't just the name that changed. What did happen for them to go from developing with the input of their customers front and center to simply ignoring the massive negative feedback? 

Something went unfathomably wrong somewhere.

0Send private message
a year ago
Apr 17, 2023, 10:49:30 PM
Sublustris wrote:

One of the fans, whining about not buying Endless Dungeon because of Denuvo ?

0Send private message
a year ago
Apr 18, 2023, 12:16:08 PM
Groo wrote:
Sublustris wrote:

One of the fans, whining about not buying Endless Dungeon because of Denuvo ?

Yep, because we don't waste money on games that intentionally give the paying customers a worse experience than the pirates.

0Send private message
a year ago
May 12, 2023, 1:04:55 PM
DragonGaming wrote:
Khaar wrote:

this thread is the second most popular all Time thread already and is probably the number 1 Most recent popular thread, hopefully with the delay of this game, They might remove denuvo sometime in the next 5-6 months, because to ignore this amount of backlash would just be asking for the game to fail.

What is the most popular thread and how much does it have?

2.1 million now btw!

0Send private message
a year ago
May 12, 2023, 7:35:21 PM
Khaar wrote:
DragonGaming wrote:
Khaar wrote:

What is the most popular thread and how much does it have?

2.1 million now btw!

The Endless Legend Community Patch Thread is currently the most popular thread of all time at 4.3M

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
May 13, 2023, 12:46:33 PM

Was excited for this game, Denuvo is a no though.

It's good that it is possible to not have to use Denuvo, in today's internet age.

But it's incredibly disrespectful, and holds game developers, and in some instances, game publishers, hostage.

Context, you want to express gratitude to a franchise you're enthusiastic about, but Denuvo / DRM is something you refuse to touch with a barge pole, ever. So you can still enjoy the game experience, but the overall human aspect, of supporting your economy, civilisation and society, through a system that makes sense, such as the buying and selling of goods, and illustrating what should be used to increase value, DRM and Denuvo, in this specific instance, clearly has a negative impact on the brand image, the work-place culture, and the consumer to developer & publisher relationship. It is a massive depreciation force that is wholly unnecessary.

Remember Bioware? An indipendant game studio that released Mass Effect (1), Jade Empire, Baulder's Gate?

Remember Amplitude? See where I'm going with this? DRM depreciates brand identity, and facilities an identity where you're encouraged to think that no organic life is involved with the game, its process, its publishing, and your enjoyment of it; when the DRM servers turn off, you lose your access to participate in the product. You do not own the game, you own a license to the game--- this is actually NOT TRUE, you pay not for a license to play the game, but for access to the DRM servers, to enable you to access the product.

It is so long-winded and besides the point, which is the actual main intend I wanted to touch on with this entire post, so thank you for being polite and allowing me to epxress that.

Amplitude is nice, pleasant-- no matter where you are on the planet, if you can access the internet and steam, you can sign-up to their website (this one here) and have access to Endless Space (1), on steam, for free. Perhaps, it's on the consumer, to help them, and encourage Corporate and (in)human resources that by remembering to tick a box on a form, to not have DRM, it will help send the right message, and increase the value of SEGA stock and share price, for a multitude of positive reasons.

All the best, have a great one.

0Send private message
a year ago
Jun 8, 2023, 5:54:47 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to create the thread. That'll make it much more likely others who want to chime in on the topic will join the existing discussion than if it lived in the comments of the announcements.

"we're listening" has been a stale corporate response for the past decade or so. I appreciate and support the obvious "Denuvo bad" comments, but I was hoping to look at this from a different angle for a second here.

Could you outline the company's actual reasoning for paying Deuvo for their service? You must believe that their product is providing you some kind of value, but a significant portion of your customers can't see what it is. Is there some kind of contractual obligation to put it on all of your games? Is AMPLITUTE or SEGA mandating this?

0Send private message
a year ago
Jun 8, 2023, 6:35:27 PM
Grifta wrote:
Could you outline the company's actual reasoning for paying Deuvo for their service? You must believe that their product is providing you some kind of value, but a significant portion of your customers can't see what it is. Is there some kind of contractual obligation to put it on all of your games? Is AMPLITUTE or SEGA mandating this?

The devs stated it when they tried to put it on Humankind and also in some replies earlier in this thread. They believe it will help them secure sales at launch which is when they get the bulk of their sales (paraphrased from their statements, not my opinion). That Humankind was going to launch with Denuvo but they didn't must mean that it is either not an obligation or that it's a negotiable one.

0Send private message
a year ago
Jun 8, 2023, 11:02:01 PM

I'm not seeing anyone from Amplitude saying that in this thread. However, that was mentioned in relation to other company's games, and a popular theory in the comments.

The most detail that I've seen is from Astamarr on page 4, but every dev comment has been a version of:

"Denuvo is a certainty, and this is how we will mitigate the problems we know it causes"

When the development of the game was starting, hopefully someone constructed an equation and concluded that this was true:

$ sales gained by using Denuvo > ( $ cost of Denuvo license + $ cost of development time to mitigate performance losses + $ sales lost for using Denuvo )

Did someone actually investigate that or just hand-wave it because "obviously you need piracy protection in addition to Steam because that's how we've always done it"?
Does Denuvo have some kind of mind-blowing presentation and piles of real data that proves that their anti-piracy service has any value?

Consumers who know about it don't like it
It is 100% proven to negatively impact development
I have never seen an evidence-based business case that shows that it actually prevents piracy more than a simple activation check (see Steam)

I am legitimately interested in how nothing but proven zero / negative value of their service resulted in AMPLITUDE's decision to give Denuvo money. Maybe investors have no idea, but they required it as some ill-conceived risk-mitigation?

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
a year ago
Jun 9, 2023, 3:36:48 AM

Since everyone else is speculating, my personal theory is that Sega is behind everything here.  If you look at Sega's other games, it looks like they fell for Denuvo's lie that each downloaded copy of a game directly translates to a lost sale, and as a result they are putting Denuvo in basically everything that they release.  (Even re-releases of older games like Sonic Origins and Sonic Colors have it.)  So my guess is that Sega has handed down an ultimatum to Amplitude that Denuvo be added or else.  Unfortunately, this situation will undoubtedly hurt Amplitude's sales, but there's nothing that they can do about it.

0Send private message
a year ago
Jun 9, 2023, 4:30:35 AM
SpikedWallMan wrote:

Since everyone else is speculating, my personal theory is that Sega is behind everything here.  If you look at Sega's other games, it looks like they fell for Denuvo's lie that each downloaded copy of a game directly translates to a lost sale, and as a result they are putting Denuvo in basically everything that they release.  (Even re-releases of older games like Sonic Origins and Sonic Colors have it.)  So my guess is that Sega has handed down an ultimatum to Amplitude that Denuvo be added or else.  Unfortunately, this situation will undoubtedly hurt Amplitude's sales, but there's nothing that they can do about it.

I mean it's probably that everyone whose job it is to read any of this already knows that it's an objectively bad idea, but the decision makers have some reason to do it anyway. Just sucks that I can't support the game at launch. The money people will decide that the game was a flop due to lower launch sales and then finally allow the devs to remove it.

Maybe one day they will realize that Denuvo are snake oil salesmen, but unlikely.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message