Research boon
Plague
None of the above, got another wish
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 7, 2012, 10:52:01 PM
I hate to be the guy that has no substantive input in terms of the voting results, but those all sound pretty cool, if they're implemented the right way. For things like plauge, space monsters, pirates, a bit deal would be the rarity/severity ratio of it. Constant irritating small monsters, or much rarer (like once ever twenty games or so) an "Oh christ, screw me" monster that comes with a serious benefit to beating it. That's the duality I mean. I'd rather have the latter, provided its not a game killer, and was implemented to be spawned when it would be challenging, and not wreck you in the first ten turns kinda thing.

Big rogue autonomous ball of dust or something? Still getting the backstory worked out.

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 7, 2012, 11:12:59 PM
We can also imagine

- Approval related events (uprisings on a colony, etc.)

- Heroes related events (disease / wound / skill boost)

- Units related events (accident on a ship, stuff like that)

- Trading related events (appearance / exhaustion of a rare resource / new trade routes)

- Deus Ex Machina events ("oh look, you found a map of the galaxy !" "wahoo, you find an empty but cutting edge spaceship)
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 6:46:15 AM
Yep to Zep.

I definitely feel big random events do a lot for diminishing the routineness and potential boredom a game can fall into. Remember what the first 'wtf is that?!' Borg ship did for the Star Trek franchise for example? Other things like mineral rich asteroid belts or undiscovered artifacts, ad nauseum (I mean isn't there always a smarter precursor race?) keep me at least in the exploration mode and I feel greatly enhance replayabiilty.

Though things I miss in these kinds of games are some of the personality 'traits' that can affect you. MOO was well MOO. Emperor of the Fading suns was fun with the church adding another wild card power broker through your galactic society (will people all become Scientologists?). Sins of the Solar Empires I found myself totally ignoring most other empires and their demands as they lacked personality.

Too much stuff gets cumbersome too though. Kind of what the Total War series have been attempting to find the sweet spot on.

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 7:42:43 AM
I had to vote for all of the above just exclude the "None of the above part" (that really should have been left out).

The thing I want is ancient horrors.... like "the pretzel brain" and the "ninja-robot-pirate-monkeys" (there is a support-group for getting them into the game here at the forums - please join)

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/group.php?groupid=2
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 8:53:41 AM
Alderbranch wrote:
I had to vote for all of the above just exclude the "None of the above part" (that really should have been left out).

The thing I want is ancient horrors.... like "the pretzel brain" and the "ninja-robot-pirate-monkeys" (there is a support-group for getting them into the game here at the forums - please join)

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/group.php?groupid=2

like ur ide
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 12:00:41 PM
Zep' wrote:
We can also imagine

- Approval related events (uprisings on a colony, etc.)

- Heroes related events (disease / wound / skill boost)

- Units related events (accident on a ship, stuff like that)

- Trading related events (appearance / exhaustion of a rare resource / new trade routes)

- Deus Ex Machina events ("oh look, you found a map of the galaxy !" "wahoo, you find an empty but cutting edge spaceship)

+1

The more the merrier!

0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 1:31:28 PM
TrashMan wrote:
I want it all!

I want it all!

I want it all!

And I want it now!

dude do you whant me to call a doctor for you?

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 3:00:51 PM
Sharidann wrote:
Xord, I think he just has certain musical tastes! :-)

hahahaha well in that case he have some strange musical tastes
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 3:32:47 PM
Pirates are awesome ...

I think events should put handicap on the players and not bonus ... the reason is that it's more interesting to struggle through the difficulty by choosing solutions than just being carried by the bonus, imho.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 9:04:31 PM
RIP Freddy smiley: cool

These comments about random events are super interesting for us, if you had to choose just a couple of these, would you rather have only positive ones or include negative ones as well? or maybe try to find events that would be either a pro or a con (depending on your faction for instance)?
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 9:10:07 PM
Definetly not only positive ones.

If you only can get good surprises, it can be a bit dull. Ideally, you should have a feeling of both dread and anticipation about random events.

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 9:28:01 PM
Hi there, my 2 cents on events. There are some ideas for events (most of them extreme) with lengthy descriptions in my blog's forum, authorship of one of the forum members named bertipa. I think it would be very worthwhile for you to check them out since you're into the events thing. Examples: "Time Storm", "The impossible Black Dwarf", "Asteroid incoming, a deep impact armageddon event", "Nova", etc...

A good balance of events quantity and quality is a must for any good game. Surprises are at the heart of fun. Good or bad doesn't matter, what matters is to figure out a good system (UI, events quality) and the right amount of events to keep players entertained.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 9, 2012, 12:13:15 AM
skamaks wrote:
RIP Freddy smiley: cool

These comments about random events are super interesting for us, if you had to choose just a couple of these, would you rather have only positive ones or include negative ones as well?

As Sharidann, definitely not only positive because..hey shit happens.

or maybe try to find events that would be either a pro or a con (depending on your faction for instance)?

The first idea I have for instance could be a plague. For instance let's say we have a faction composed of biological beings, and another one composed of robots. Well, if there is a viral plague in a planet where there is biological beings, it would matters. But with robots, they won't care. Or maybe they could try to develop the virus based on that plague in order to create a biological weapon and stuff and do bad things to their living enemies etc.. smiley: smile

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 9, 2012, 5:00:39 AM
Sharidann wrote:
Definetly not only positive ones.

If you only can get good surprises, it can be a bit dull. Ideally, you should have a feeling of both dread and anticipation about random events.

QFE

Only positive ones is something you expect on Supereasy-mode... As was mentioned shit happens.

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 9, 2012, 10:07:23 AM
If a ship is docked in an ally planet and has a hero. There has to be an event where the hero shages the leader daugter hand the leader decler warsmiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment