Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Retreat Card

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:45:13 PM
I would like it if we had a couple dozen different kinds of Retreat Cards.

Final Push: The entirety of the user's remaining fleet makes one more attack phase, the type of which is the player's choosing. This final action comes last, so that the user's fleet has already taken significant damage.

Kamikaze: All ships are sacrificed in an attempt to destroy the enemy. This causes three phases to be created, two of which belongs to the user, and one for the enemy. The user chooses whether their attacks are Long, Medium, or Short range, picking two of these. The enemy uses the remaining slot for their counterattack, which takes place according to what phases the user has choosen.

Bargaining Chip: Holding someone or something that the enemy holds dear, the fleet can be allowed to withdraw without being harmed. Unfortunately, these circumstances are not likely to be always available, so make it count.

Unconditional Surrender: All ships in the fleet is given up to the enemy. The option to buy back the ships and their personal is offered, though the enemy may refuse this offer if they wish.

On this day...: May be played to stir emotion in the user's populance and the enemie's, by playing on the tragedy that resulted from the enemy's attack. When this card is played, the likelyhood of the user's ships being destroyed during retreat increases, but the emotional sway is also increased proportionately.

Turn The Tables: With this card, the user can move another fleet in the system or in an neighboring system into this battle. The battle resumes again, but with these additional forces to assist.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:43:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the devs have already done retreat, its just not in the Alpha version.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 11:54:55 PM
SirNitram wrote:
I for one do not really like the idea of a cheap card to run away without losses.

I agree, but there should be a card that gives you a chance to retreat; the enemy is still shooting at you, so you will take some damage, put, like others have said, you may get away without suffering total loss.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 9:22:13 PM
Hi,

This bugged me when I first played (and still does really).

But could we have a 'Retreat / Emergency' retreat card. If they take you by surprise then you want to get out of there not just sit and get blown up...

Dan
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:31:36 AM
I am of the mind that the player should usually be able to choose from a pool of retreat cards, and other times be forced to play an negative one. When the great armada of the navy is being decimated by an space dragon, it would only be natural for captains to take the initiative and run away if their morale is low.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:09:15 AM
I agree, but wouldn't that be kinda pointless? If one ship uses all its movement points to get to a planet to battle a fleet, and the fleet retreats and continues to retreat, there wouldn't be any battles. Perhaps a limit per X number of turns on how many times a fleet can retreat?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:19:04 AM
Considering that retreat cards are likely to come with negative side effects, such as loss of morale and the destruction of ships, it is likely that they would be destroyed entirely if they keep getting pulled into battles. Needs beta-testing and tuning to prevent a game of whack-a-mole, though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:24:36 AM
I support the addition of basically any card. I think adding variety to the combat would be awesome.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:39:48 AM
I'ma throw my vote in for a retreat card too. Maybe have it work a bit like retreating in Gratuitous Space Battles where ships in a fleet can potentially be left behind? (not really sure how that would work though so...maybe not >_>) Basically, any opportunity to try and get my colony or scout ship to disengage from an obviously one-sided fight with pirates would be great.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:57:28 AM
I agree this sounds like a rather good idea but there defiantly needs to be a con to using the retreat card as apposed to fighting to the last man. Some sort of negative effect or potential negative effect.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:59:50 AM
I'd assume that the enemy getting to shoot your ships on their way out with little to no effective opposition would be a pretty significant con.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 3:29:54 AM
perhaps the retreat card forces you to lose a % of your fleet in exchange for escape.... there is an admiral card that "saves" any destroyed ships in a given phase already, the destroyed ships appear in the system a 15% heath after the fight. you can spam said card and loose no ships, at a high dust cost however. i believe it is a pilot ability and requires full vetrin and defence traits but i am not sure.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 3:39:51 AM
zdesert wrote:
there is an admiral card that "saves" any destroyed ships in a given phase already, the destroyed ships appear in the system a 15% heath after the fight. you can spam said card and loose no ships, at a high dust cost however. i believe it is a pilot ability and requires full vetrin and defence traits but i am not sure.

I'd change this to a "Salvage" card that works in a similar way to how a wounded hero works. As in play the card during battle (probably counter with sabotage) and if you have any surviving ships (or if its a friendly system) at the end of battle, have the option to pay dust per destroyed ship to repair them enough to crawl back to port (very low HP).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 4:12:35 AM
I figure retreat should just be an option, regardless of a card. But if you are forced into combat then a retreat 'card' would come in handy. Totally agree with this idea.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 4:30:27 AM
+1 to this idea.

Let's see - We just got jumped by a mean enemy fleet. No chance of winning. What does an intelligent Admiral do?

RETREEEEEEAT!

More interestingly, maybe some technology could be adapted to prevent fleeing ships. A game that did this brilliantly was Star Wars rebellion - A much forgotten game that used interdictor figates with gravity wells to prevent ships from escaping. Incidentally, this game has some other insights to offer when it comes to hero development.
0Send private message
Comment