Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Automaton Models

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 9, 2012, 1:40:18 AM
I pretty much came up with how their ships are supposed to look like already, and although their appearance has changed since my original ideas, I think the ships would fit pretty well even now

/#/endless-space/forum/38-creations/thread/16430-fan-art-the-automatons-faction-contest-the-end

I know the ship drawn there isn't a very good representation of the 3D version but the general style I feel would be really awesome. If the models are ever made that is...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 27, 2012, 2:46:51 AM
Oh, I know what it's like. Every mod I've done for DoWII uses the existing models for that exact reason. lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 17, 2013, 2:06:12 AM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:
Well at least Amplitude got bigger, so more work can be done more efficiently (Built their Heavy Isotope Refineries). But im guessing Automatons will be around soonish. But im only saying that because they suit my style of play... and i want cool clockwork looking ships.

We all are, brother.

I'm also genuinely excited to see what shenanigans they'll have the community perform to earn those ships. Amplitude's awesome.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 16, 2013, 4:34:44 PM
Well at least Amplitude got bigger, so more work can be done more efficiently (Built their Heavy Isotope Refineries). But im guessing Automatons will be around soonish. But im only saying that because they suit my style of play... and i want cool clockwork looking ships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 13, 2012, 5:51:18 AM
Mr.Spartan126 wrote:
Hopefully the event to unlock the ship models will appear soon. I am fired up about it.
I am too. I love this game, but I think half the reason I'm so enthused about ES is for the community and Amplitude. I can't wait to see what challenges they have lined up for us.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 11, 2012, 12:47:51 PM
LocoMike wrote:
Would be proper, as were the Automaton not a community vote also ?

I don't think designing the ships is really the bulk of the work involved. I mean, it's not nothing, but modelling and texturing and fitting an animation rig and adding all the effects and stuff, that's the real grind.

Having the community send in their sketches would help, but it wouldn't alleviate the main problem, which is that a whole new set of ships is a large amount of work.

Though I do think it is a worthwhile amount of work, in terms of a value-add.

They wouldn't have offered it as a free weekend reward if they didn't have a pipeline in place to produce them. I think we'll see them eventually, maybe even bundled with the first expansion, but I wouldn't expect it to come before all the other changes on the table.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 12:29:39 AM
Neowitch wrote:
I say, we have a community event and let the creative folks out there send in their designs and then vote for the best.

Would be proper, as were the Automaton not a community vote also ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 12:24:31 AM
I say, we have a community event and let the creative folks out there send in their designs and then vote for the best.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 7, 2012, 2:28:44 PM
I think there would be less of a need for unique models for each standard faction if they simply added liveries or faction insignias to the existing ship models.

Just a cosmetic, texture swap kind of deal instead of a whole new model.

I don't mind the Automatons having Craver ships, it makes a bit of sense really. But if they were shinier, or had a different color palette, that would better differentiate.

It would also be a good system to add so that your own custom races felt more unique.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 2:34:41 PM
KenboCalrissian wrote:
Well it's mid-day 12/3, and we're still short of the 200,000 new user goal - does this mean there will never be an update for automaton ships, or will it simply be delayed, and for how long?

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the strategic reasons for having unique ship models. Until now, at a glance I could look at the galaxy and identify the locations of each and every empire. Now, since the Automatons look identical to Cravers, I have to second-guess that. IMO Cravers is a horrible replacement because from an in-game perspective, they're the most likely empire to cause a threat to mine. Imagine a game where my opponents include 2 Automatons and 3 Cravers - I'd have to constantly flip back to the diplomacy screen until I've memorized which colors aren't going to eat me. The Automatons very quickly became my new favorite faction, so color me a bit anxious to see them get a proper treatment smiley: smile

The answer to your question is here:

Panzer wrote:
Hey Guys, I am glad you are interested in the Automatons receiving the full faction treatment, but it wont happen.

I asked the devs why they wouldn't do custom ship models for the Automatons and the really simply answer is that with all the other features that need to be implemented and fixed, it would take them too long to conceptualize, draw, model, texture, and implement the ships. It was simply not realistic cost and time wise for the Automatons to get their own ship set unfortunately.

Here's hoping to moders that add custom ships for them ^__^ but in the mean time enjoy the faction everyone!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 3, 2012, 7:19:44 PM
Well it's mid-day 12/3, and we're still short of the 200,000 new user goal - does this mean there will never be an update for automaton ships, or will it simply be delayed, and for how long?

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the strategic reasons for having unique ship models. Until now, at a glance I could look at the galaxy and identify the locations of each and every empire. Now, since the Automatons look identical to Cravers, I have to second-guess that. IMO Cravers is a horrible replacement because from an in-game perspective, they're the most likely empire to cause a threat to mine. Imagine a game where my opponents include 2 Automatons and 3 Cravers - I'd have to constantly flip back to the diplomacy screen until I've memorized which colors aren't going to eat me. The Automatons very quickly became my new favorite faction, so color me a bit anxious to see them get a proper treatment smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 8, 2012, 8:30:52 PM
i think a retexture of the Craver ships would work quite nicely if original models are out of the question. but if they aren't then maybe something like a fusion of Sophon and Craver would look good.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 24, 2012, 11:24:09 PM
Hell, if I find any spare time while not worrying about getting into college, Ill have a go at Modeling Automaton ships, but textures.....well, lets just say we aren't friends.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 24, 2012, 9:54:54 PM
ShadowGod56 wrote:
im actually kinda tempted, im not very experianced at it atm but i have dabbled a small amount with Gmax. my biggist problem would be with textures

Give it a try, when you can sparte the time! smiley: smile

Madrox tried it too and his models are pretty nice smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 24, 2012, 2:02:03 PM
Romeo wrote:
Aye, for now. Don't like it? Feel free to grab 3DS/Blender and make some for all of us. =P

im actually kinda tempted, im not very experianced at it atm but i have dabbled a small amount with Gmax. my biggist problem would be with textures
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 24, 2012, 8:49:44 AM
Steph'nie wrote:
That's actually how Panzer got his Automatons officially added in Endless Space. Someone started writing a faction lore and it all ended up in a faction competition and a G2G vote. smiley: smile

Someone had to be the first one smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 24, 2012, 8:47:04 AM
Romeo wrote:
Aye, for now. Don't like it? Feel free to grab 3DS/Blender and make some for all of us. =P

That's actually how Panzer got his Automatons officially added in Endless Space. Someone started writing a faction lore and it all ended up in a faction competition and a G2G vote. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 24, 2012, 5:14:57 AM
ShadowGod56 wrote:
D: you mean we are stuck with though nasty craver models smiley: frown

Meltreness wrote:
Just give Madrox a job at amplitude and let him do the work, haha.

Would be a pretty sweet deal for everyone involved. lol
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment