Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

ES could be more fun if one wasn't able to map and maintain oversight of all systems

YES, always show everything once the galaxy has been mapped (as it is currently)
NO, gray out systems not recently visited to make sensors, scouts and intelligence more relevant
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 2, 2012, 12:12:44 PM
One more suggestion to make scouts more usable:

As either a part of the scout module or maybe a part of a sensor module they could be given the option to 'deploy' sensors (would require new tech or changes to current tech I know). This would help simplify an espionage system while giving that same information, and would 'hide' systems once they are out of sensing range.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 2, 2012, 11:29:47 AM
Was asked by Jetkar to add a poll if I wanted it to be listed in his "Summary of suggestions so far" list... hereby done, please all vote smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 1, 2012, 7:16:59 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Well, im not going to quote everything above...

But why not...? smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2012, 6:35:18 PM
Hi all, I just wanted to collect your thoughts on the following:

I somehow feel that it's unhelpful to the overall fun factor of the game that one can map, and then maintain oversight of, the entire galaxy. The fact that I can see exactly where each territorial boundary is, where fleets are stationed and in what quantity (approx) somehow is detrimental to the ge because I think the reality shouldn't be that clear - even concerning your allies' territories.

Perhaps there should be a system improvement which recreates a form of fog of war? That way you'd know WHERE a system is and what it's called but not necessarily WHOM it belongs to. This would make scout vessels more important even in the later stages of the game and would bring a certain continuous thrill to game in my opinion. I feel it would be pretty exciting if one wasn't sure of one was taking on a massive empire or a medium-sized or smallish one and scouting would become a tactical necessity.

Besides, scouts should not EVER engage other factions' ships/fleets as it goes against their nature i.e. scout and withdraw once contact has been made. I know that this is incorrectly translated into most games, but still, it's not illegal to dream, right? smiley: wink

Anyone agree that this would be beneficial for the tactical / strategic nature of the game? If not, I'm open for suggestions, ideas etc., let's hear them! smiley: smile

Also, how could one do it? Via an improvement? Or differently?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 28, 2012, 6:27:32 PM
Dustballs wrote:
This would be a good addition. And for the Amoebe's sake, you could still know the galaxy and the planets with their resources, but still keep influence and occupation out of this. Maybe the Amoebe's could see the starting planet of a player (or AI) but without their span of control. That way they could still go for trading and diplomatic relations, without knowing what the other player has? Could that be helpful?

That's not even a bad idea. I think the Amoeba should definitely enjoy a good advantage knowledge/space-wise, but I agree that they don't really have to be able to see the entire map and that perhaps locations of homeworlds might be enough of an advantage for them... or perhaps homeworlds plus really advanced and built up systems?

prassel wrote:
I really like this idea. It doesn't make sense that you can explore the galaxy and then have complete view of what happens to every system, like if someone colonizes it. Some kind of fog-of-war is a must have!

Igncom1 wrote:
As fleets need to actually be spotted by your sensors, I agree that it makes no sense that you can see colonized systems and their influence if you don't have sensors over them. It also doesn't make sense that your sensors cannot reveal systems, like for reals.

Fully agree, the current system makes both scouts and sensor modules etc effectively superflous. I don't even use the sensor stuff because, should my ships accidentally stumble upon another fleet, then they'll be fine because I filled up all the available space with offensive and defensive capabilities. And since explored systems are simply shown on the map, sensors are really really unncessary in the game. Again, very sad, because I think they could be put to good use and have a lot of potential...

But I'm not sure the Devs would want to consider a slight refogging because it might go against their original/current vision....? smiley: confused
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 26, 2012, 9:15:13 PM
As fleets need to actually be spotted by your sensors, I agree that it makes no sense that you can see colonized systems and their influence if you don't have sensors over them.

It also doesn't make sense that your sensors cannot reveal systems, like for reals.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 26, 2012, 9:11:47 PM
I really like this idea. It doesn't make sense that you can explore the galaxy and then have complete view of what happens to every system, like if someone colonizes it. Some kind of fog-of-war is a must have!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 26, 2012, 2:00:13 PM
This would be a good addition. And for the Amoebe's sake, you could still know the galaxy and the planets with their resources, but still keep influence and occupation out of this. Maybe the Amoebe's could see the starting planet of a player (or AI) but without their span of control. That way they could still go for trading and diplomatic relations, without knowing what the other player has? Could that be helpful?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 26, 2012, 9:47:02 AM
Woefinite wrote:
I think our view of systems should only update when we have current sensor vision. When we no longer have vision, it stays as it was before we lost vision. This seems the most logical, anyway. I don't like how we can see what systems empires take when we are nowhere near them, just because we visited once.

Like I said though, this could really really confuse players because they might forget that the map could have changed in the meantime. Perhaps systems which have not been visited recently should re-fog slightly i.e. the further away a system is from one's own borders and ships' scanning radius, the dimmer the territory is displayed... This would not, however, affect trade with remote systems since, I suppose, trade happens no matter who is running the system, right?

So perhaps the more distant the area the dimmer it gets?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 10:19:54 PM
Woefinite wrote:
This is actually why I don't play the Amoeba... takes half the fun out of the game.

I think our view of systems should only update when we have current sensor vision. When we no longer have vision, it stays as it was before we lost vision. This seems the most logical, anyway. I don't like how we can see what systems empires take when we are nowhere near them, just because we visited once.

It would be interesting if some sort of espionage system was implemented to allow you to see that kind of information on your galaxy map; with a certain number of spies, you start to see where empires are expanding, and maybe see more details like fleet info and the like.

Same, Amoba makes it 3X :P

It really should be implemented some sort of fog of war and would love it if they made the exploring part more complex. An espionage system sounded nice! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 10:03:10 PM
This is actually why I don't play the Amoeba... takes half the fun out of the game.

It would be interesting if some sort of espionage system was implemented to allow you to see that kind of information on your galaxy map; with a certain number of spies, you start to see where empires are expanding, and maybe see more details like fleet info and the like.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment