Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

"Huge" could do with being.. more Huge.

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 11:06:18 AM
Well I sure hope the devs find some way of allowing us to have bigger galaxies. (Note: In this case, "bigger" equaling more star systems, not more planets.) I understand that they can't be a ridiculous size due to hardware limitations, but 100-150 star systems simply doesn't feel very "epic".

VieuxChat wrote:
Devs said that they limited the number of systems to 123.

Which is already a great number.

Not compared to other space 4x games, it's not. Armada 2526 and Distant Worlds can both have well over a thousand star systems.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 9:58:00 AM
gunnergoz wrote:
It would be nice if there was an option to let us determine how far apart the systems typically are. If they were farther apart, the game would feel more expansive and...distant. Not sure how to phrase it but right now, it seems awful cozy in the Galaxy, even a huge one.

When setting up the galaxy i believe you can adjust traval lane distances and how far apart systems are. I haven't actually fiddled too much with those myself yet, but i'm pretty sure i remember seeing the options.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:23:41 AM
MT4K wrote:
When setting up the galaxy i believe you can adjust traval lane distances and how far apart systems are. I haven't actually fiddled too much with those myself yet, but i'm pretty sure i remember seeing the options.

I think i'll be extending the lanes. Space at the moment feels very crowded smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 1:07:04 PM
By turn 200 on a huge map, my computer was taking 2 minutes to process a single turn smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 1:46:39 PM
Yea, something I noticed too. The further out in the game you are, the longer it takes for a turn to end.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 4:22:22 PM
chavoda wrote:
It was the first thing i notist when i started the game after installing today, the small size and long think times. think times i could not alter but I think we can alter"mod" galaxy sizes for now.

Atleast to me it seemed to work for the huge "map" were i simply doubled the numbers and shorten base the star lanes. I haven't explored the map yet (turn 55... ) but I see a lot of planets (at 40+ were huge normally only has 80base)

Go to Program files / steam / steamapps /common/ endless space/ assets/ xml / GalaxyGenerator

and Alter the bold part in the GalaxySettings.xml file.

let me know if it works for you. (you also find more options like the star lanes lenght base in there)

mh... I noticed that in the localization file, we've :

200 star systems scattered in a 300-parsecs galaxy

Maybe the game have a limit to 123 because we're in alpha and the dev team want to work on the "tuning" and debugging.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 4:59:57 PM
Yes please rescale & name the galaxy size settings. Huge isn't really "Huge", more like medium. I want MASSIVE elliptic galaxies of several hundreds of systems. Even better, no limit at all like someone said earlier smiley: biggrin

I do understand if they want to limit the size of in the Alpha though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 5:10:43 PM
t1it wrote:
Yes please rescale & name the galaxy size settings. Huge isn't really "Huge", more like medium. I want MASSIVE elliptic galaxies of several hundreds of systems. Even better, no limit at all like someone said earlier smiley: biggrin

I do understand if they want to limit the size of in the Alpha though.

like Distant Worlds eh... smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 5:14:11 PM
DannyD wrote:
like Distant Worlds eh... smiley: smile

Yup, DW galaxies were truly massive.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 12:50:07 PM
I also thought that huge doesn't really seem like an accurate description personally, id see huge as 4 times the current huge, now it might be better just to add more sizes or could add a custom size option depending on how galaxies are generated.

I suppose it does come down to what size can be handled with different computers.

In multiplayer "epic" galaxies might take too long to play to work, but for single player its more of what individuals preferences are.

i just checked my GalaxySettings.xml and huge currently appears to be 80 systems

considering that even a 10000 system galaxy is no where near realistic.

edit: another possibility related to modding is could it be possible to add additional galaxy sizes or settings to the generator?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:25:30 PM
I can understand if they need to limit the number of systems in a galaxy for gameplay reasons. But even so I still think huge should be bigger than it is now.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:37:35 PM
I'd love larger galaxies. I agree the huge setting doesn't seem to be much of a change from the previous. I'd love to be able to eventually lose a scout ship I sent out, maybe stumble upon a pirate controlled area, completely hostile.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:44:34 PM
ES is not a macromanagement game like MoO III and Distant Worlds. Too much planets to control would be absolute hell.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:33:33 PM
I think the next game I play will be on a larger setting, so that I can get a better grasp on how it plays.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 9:14:03 AM
I don't have a gaming PC, just a iCore 2500K, 8 GB RAM and Nvidia GTX560/2 GB and have had no crashes with huge maps and lots of systems working. It has some bugs, but no crash bugs yet.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 5:08:28 PM
I've been fiddling around modding the Galaxy sizes and I found that around 200 planets with 200 width makes for a nice spread and not too much early conflict. I don't think I would go much higher currently, as we can only have 8 players maximum smiley: frown
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 6:19:37 PM
/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13120-galaxy-generation-and-player-start

Galaxy size

Galaxy size is defined in parsecs, and is directly related to the Galaxy size the player chooses.

A galaxy size is linked to a defined number of planets, but this can be overridden by specific galaxy settings.

Galaxy Density

The Density affects the numbers of stars for a given galaxy size. There are three sizes, each with its own multiplier. It therefore modifies the above array.

For example, a galaxy that is Small and Dense will have 90 stars.

According to this, it seems already planned that a huge & dense galaxy will have up to 225 stars. Considering that the alpha build is limited for some reasons to 123 stars, it nearly means a x2. I think it should be nice. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 6:27:12 PM
Having played a couple of Huge galaxy games with Dense star setting, I can tell you that IMO it really does not improve the game any. Sure, there are more and more systems and planets, but after a while they all seem repetitious and farther and farther away to do much good, given how long it takes to develop them into something really useful. And how much of any resource do you need, anyway?

I can live with 200 or so star system galaxies as long as they are fresh and interesting and a bit unique one from the other. Some 4X games size up well to enormous galaxies, but part of the charm of this one is that it does more with less.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 7:39:25 PM
gunnergoz wrote:
I don't have a gaming PC, just a iCore 2500K, 8 GB RAM and Nvidia GTX560/2 GB and have had no crashes with huge maps and lots of systems working. It has some bugs, but no crash bugs yet.

You realize you just described the typical gaming machine, right?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 7:41:30 PM
pocketknife wrote:
You realize you just described the typical gaming machine, right?

Lol I thought the same thing... "heeey, thats what I have..."

PS: I also vote for a bigger galaxy option. And it should be called "Big McLargehuge"
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment