Pause combat phase while chosing
Apply default strategy defined by empire
Apply default strategy defined by flagship of the fleet
Apply default strategy defined by ship design most often used in fleet
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 7:47:16 AM
If not a pause get the window to pop open showing the battle cards and a timer before the next phase starts and give a second or extra between phases. I sometimes get so caught up in watching the cinematic and how I my ships are doing I forget about the next phase and ding its to late
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 15, 2012, 10:23:50 PM
yeah, but there should be some kind of default, besides you can read up on the outside of battle anyway, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, adds a little sweat to your forehead!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 15, 2012, 10:47:10 PM
+1 for pause and choose. Because sometimes one just hasn´t got enough time to choose.....
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 4:47:46 PM
+1 more vote for this -- more precisely, pause combat at the start screen where you can see the enemy fleet and choose "Automatic" or "Manual" battle actions (at least in single-player mode). I know you can review cards before combat, but until you see what the enemy is packing, you can't really choose appropriate cards. This is a strategy game after all, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect players -- in the seconds before combat starts -- to analyze the enemy fleet, AND remember all the card details (quick, which defense card is best against beams?) AND recall your fleet details (is my fleet strong on missiles or is it beams?). Like the original poster, I find myself jarred out of my leisurely, analytical game, forced suddenly to rush-read and madly stab at cards, hoping I get good ones. Not fun.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 20, 2012, 5:25:09 PM
+1

Please please please add an option to Pause during Card Selection for single-player games!

I understand the motive for multiplayer, but during a single-player TURN BASED game I expect to NEVER have to rush to a decision.

That's why I'm playing a TURN BASED game!

Excellent, excellent game - just don't force me out of my calm, TURN BASED mentality into forcibly-rushed, poor decision.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 20, 2012, 9:35:16 PM
I have two things to say about this idea:

1) I believe the idea of pausing mid-combat is against the game design imo. Battles in Endless Space are supposed to give you this little thrill and a feeling of pressure, after all a giant space battle is about to occur. Also, one of the points why we have turn timer is to give us time to choose the battle card you want to play. You can also look at the cards beforehand to prepare a strategy for your next engagement, to not waste time for thinking while in combat. The alternative idea is way better imo, I'd actually kinda like to see that implemented in the future smiley: smile

2) Even though I don't like the idea of adding the pause button in combat, since ES is mainly a singleplayer experience I suppose there's no harm in adding that function, allowing everyone to play in the way they want to play. Thene again, I think this should be taken care by modders rather then the dev team - they have more important things to do right now ^^
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 6:01:00 PM
I was shocked when I first played this turn based game and discovered I could not pause combat in a single player game. I was sure I just didn't know how. I don't see how this can NOT be put in..

I knew I was not going to be completely satisfied with the limited choices relating to combat but I knew that when I bought the game. That I could not pause to consider the only choice I get to make was frustrating.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 5, 2012, 8:09:29 PM
Well the game is MP geared as well, so a compromise was made to prevent people from pausing and walking away.

But still, read the cards before the battle, it makes it soo much easier when you know them off hand and can auto select them based on the picture and color of the card.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 1:35:22 AM
I agree 100% there needs to be a pause option so we can read the cards and understand what are options are. +1 on thread
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 11:55:39 AM
For experience players choosing cards in short time is not an issue, but I remember my disorientation in variety of cards first time. So, for new players it is important.

As for the old ones, it is good to have some default behaviour set for this or that fleet. For example, use special ability for the Hero fleet or use default surrender for investigator ship.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 17, 2012, 2:24:43 PM
dontnormally wrote:
+1

Please please please add an option to Pause during Card Selection for single-player games!

I understand the motive for multiplayer, but during a single-player TURN BASED game I expect to NEVER have to rush to a decision.

That's why I'm playing a TURN BASED game!

Excellent, excellent game - just don't force me out of my calm, TURN BASED mentality into forcibly-rushed, poor decision.

Agree. Not sure I want to play without a pause to set up a battle plan for each combat. For that matter, each ship type should have a separate card, Stand off for missile ships, close for beam/kinetic ships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 17, 2012, 2:30:31 PM
Ships getting their own battle cards dependent on ship size?

FULL VOTE INITIATED!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 4:57:50 PM
One thing I love about turn based games is that I've got all the time in the world to make any of my decisions. The real time chosing of battle actions breaks this concept making me rush to any of those darn cards just to avoid losing an advantage. In other words: It kills the calm and silence of the game for a phase of stress that I very much dislike.

My suggestion: Pause combat while the screen for chosing a battle card is displayed. So I can thoroghly read any card and chose the one I see fitting best. Maybe this pausing could be a game option for those who like the real time element?

An alternative to pause the real time mode could be to set a standard strategy for the fleet so the battle starts with battle cards chosen already. Of course I could change them the way I can now. The standard strategy for the fleet could be derived from a standard strategy for the empire. Or it could be derived from a standard strategy of a ship design. That option should have a flagship set for each fleet (defaulting to the first ship in the fleet).

Ordered alternatives:

a: Pause combat phase [myfavouriteone]

b: Apply default strategy

b1: Default strategy defined by empire

b2: Default strategy defined by flagship of the fleet

b3: Default strategy defined by design most often used in fleet
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 4:52:13 PM
This thread is the origin of discussions about pausing between combat phases.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13661-suggestion-more-time-for-choosing-combat-cards

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 4:44:58 PM
Of all the poll options, I think pausing during card selection is the best. And I would think it is the easiest to implement.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 5:42:49 PM
xyquas wrote:
My suggestion: Pause combat while the screen for chosing a battle card is displayed. So I can thoroghly read any card and chose the one I see fitting best. Maybe this pausing could be a game option for those who like the real time element?

Ordered alternatives:

a: Pause combat phase [myfavouriteone]

b: Apply default strategy

b1: Default strategy defined by empire

b2: Default strategy defined by flagship of the fleet

b3: Default strategy defined by design most often used in fleet

smiley: approval I like all of these suggestions, but agree pausing the battle while you choose a card is the best solution.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 5:18:22 PM
One thing I keep advocating: a 'skip the combat animations' option in the game menu. That and 'pause before each combat phase' would improve the game significantly for me. Since they should be options to check when customizing the game, in the beginning, they wouldn't bother the players who want to watch the combat animations, they wouldn't change the combat system and they wouldn't change anything in the way the devs 'see' the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 5:14:49 PM
I like this idea so long as it's an option you can select during game setup like Zenicetus mentioned. If it were present there then it would even work for multiplayer since all players ostensibly agree on each option before the game starts. I disagree with the need for a default strategy selector...uh...thing because there's already an auto resolve button in the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 4:22:50 AM
Definitely pause the game while selecting cards, at least in single-player; with no other players to annoy and no real way for me to analyze the enemy's actions, I don't see why I can't take my time to decide how I want my ships to proceed in the fight. I also like the option of having the ability to have your card selections already filled out. I'd probably make it simple, just some variable attached to the fleet.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 9:19:06 PM
Zenicetus wrote:
It's also an idea that should be dead simple to program, unlike many other ideas here for game improvement. Even if it's not a game setup option, they could just hotkey a pause to the P or Pause keys. And then disable that for multiplayer.

My feeling as well. Though I will admit I am no programmer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 9:10:29 PM
It's also an idea that should be dead simple to program, unlike many other ideas here for game improvement. Even if it's not a game setup option, they could just hotkey a pause to the P or Pause keys. And then disable that for multiplayer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 9:01:56 PM
Agree 100%. I would like at least the option of pausing the battle while choosing my battle card. As it currently is, I tend to spend most of combat with the battle card selection window up (especially mid-game on). So I miss most of the action. A pity.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 6:58:31 PM
+1

At least make it an option in the setup screen. It's jarring to have a game shift player modes like that.

It might be a good idea for multiplayer games to keep things moving along, and maybe that was the reason they did it this way? But multiplayer design shouldn't restrict the singleplayer experience. Make it optional for singleplayer games.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment