Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[suggestion] Pictures of cities

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 11:08:32 PM
There are definitely lights. Maybe a population improvement that creates an ecumenopolis (A world city). So think how Coruscant was in Star Wars. And since you completely built over the surface all anomalies are negated. But you get a +3 or something to world population on any size planet. And a 25% DUST bonus for all the corporations and such that now sprawl your planet.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 5:28:02 PM
Username wrote:
Hi, this is my first post so sorry if I'm being stupid.

I really like the game so far. This "issue" is merely an aesthetic one and have no effect on gameplay. But I feel when I enter a planet the view is pretty uninspiring.

This is what I think it should look like when uncolonized. But when colonized I think you should see an actual city or something in the left corner. Either if it's too much work one picture for colonized and one for uncolonized. Or different cities depending on the level of colonization, alien race, anomaly and stuff like that. And maybe if you look at the 3D planet you see lights from the cities or something. That would be much more exciting and inspire more.

What do you think?

so you know we are working on that at the moment... as soon as we have something satisfying we'll post a picture on the forums smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 4:59:21 PM
Noticed the cities/ships on my first game, it's a nice touch. A visual appearance to craver depleted planets would be nicer than the obtrusive red text.

Would rather see much-needed gameplay changes have top priority though, as gfx/aesthetics would be the easiest thing to patch in post-release.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:32:29 PM
An increase in ship traffic would be a nice indication of trade levels of the planet as well. Maybe certain types of ships like transports etc...

Being able to see the cities to some degree would be great, assuming that advances in technology don't cut down needless light pollution lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:21:17 PM
I like the planets how they are currently. I'd rather see more random textures for the planets, especially terran / jungle. I once had a system with 6 planets that were terran / jungle and they just looked like larger or smaller versions of one another. I think they were rotating at the same rate too ( which is boring ).

How is the atmosphere of a planet affected by the rotation rate?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090802155357AAK0Svo
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 3:10:05 PM
yes depending on the type of planet you can see a sign of cities... but it's not that obvious.

Maybe showing colonized planet with one third of it under its own shadow could show clear network of lights/cities.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 2:38:35 PM
After playing a bit I noticed that colonized planets do have city lights on the 3D planet smiley: smile

And they're well done
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 8:28:44 AM
I agree with this. Would be very cool to see my planets a booming part of civilization and cities.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 6:54:15 AM
There's no real rhyme or reason to the placing of the 'city lights' though - and no connecting highways or suchlike. We've all seen the pictures of low-pop areas of Earth - you're looking at a few small dots of light and any cities are generally on the 'coasts' (whatever coasts would be for a Barren planet...)

On the upper level, though, you should really have Orbitals and planet-cities.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:14:42 AM
Username wrote:
Are you sure there's lights?? I've only seen the small ships. Guess I should look closer.

There are "scars" of light on the surface

It is very easy to see on terran,desert or tundran planets
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 2:00:47 AM
Sins of a Solar Empire has this effect, I am sure it can be added in ES as well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 1:52:19 AM
I want to put a voice in support of this. The planets are pretty bleak right now. The only way in which settled planets evolve right now is late-game when you can terraform them, which causes all my lava and Barren worlds to go Lava-Desert-Tundra-Jungle (or Ocean). I'd love to see actual cities on them, especially since some of the technologies and improvements make reference to planet-sized cityscapes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 12:59:59 AM
Heh. I've just thought about it last night smiley: smile

I remember how it was cool in some games like o-game.

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 11:55:00 PM
Yes I'm on Fantastic too !! : D

really does look fantastic, I thought I was seeing things. was going to post this pic and ask what it was.

Now I know !! It's a ship (s) ...

sorry don't know how to make this click to see
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 11:26:37 PM
Gordon wrote:
My settings are on "Beautiful".. Perhaps that explains it?

"Fantastic" here, when not on the laptop. :P

And I have to say they really are, especially the system screens, I think the planets are gorgeous, good job there art team smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 1:08:41 PM
Hi, this is my first post so sorry if I'm being stupid.

I really like the game so far. This "issue" is merely an aesthetic one and have no effect on gameplay. But I feel when I enter a planet the view is pretty uninspiring.

This is what I think it should look like when uncolonized. But when colonized I think you should see an actual city or something in the left corner. Either if it's too much work one picture for colonized and one for uncolonized. Or different cities depending on the level of colonization, alien race, anomaly and stuff like that. And maybe if you look at the 3D planet you see lights from the cities or something. That would be much more exciting and inspire more.

What do you think?
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 10:56:01 PM
It might depend on what your graphics setting is. I'm not sure if I see them on my laptop, which is on the 'fastest' setting.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 10:44:19 PM
Username wrote:
Are you sure there's lights?? I've only seen the small ships. Guess I should look closer.
Yes, there are lights in small clutters around the planet, as well as ships flying around.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 10:27:06 PM
Gordon wrote:
Great idea. I would also like some more details on the planet as the population goes up. So it shows that the planet is inhabited. Right now, there are lights and small ships, but I hope that one day that there will be more details.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 3:54:12 PM
That'd be great if there were more signs of life on the inhabited planets
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 2:24:25 PM
Great idea. I would also like some more details on the planet as the population goes up. So it shows that the planet is inhabited. Right now, there are lights and small ships, but I hope that one day that there will be more details.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 1:20:49 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Hm. It'd be nice to see different architectural styles for sophons, cravers, UE, Hissho, Horatio... and whatever else will come. They should have totally different housing preferences.

Indeed that would be great. Requires alot of imagination smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 1:17:35 PM
lurker wrote:
It would be great to see more signs of life on colonised planets, yeah. In an ideal world even changes based on population, e.g. very obvious signs of population / megacities on fully-populated planets. Lots of work for the art team though!

Yeah maybe that would be too much work. But some signs would be nice even if it doesn't change based on population
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 1:17:15 PM
Hm. It'd be nice to see different architectural styles for sophons, cravers, UE, Hissho, Horatio... and whatever else will come. They should have totally different housing preferences.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 1:14:06 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Aparelently there are signs of like on colonised planets, but i havent really seen them.

but lights on the surfaces would be cool, even if hard to see on lava planets smiley: biggrin

Well if you look closely on the 3D planet I think you can see little space ships flying. But I can't see anymore signs.

Yeah maybe lava planets was a bad example lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 1:13:09 PM
It would be great to see more signs of life on colonised planets, yeah. In an ideal world even changes based on population, e.g. very obvious signs of population / megacities on fully-populated planets. Lots of work for the art team though!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 1:10:39 PM
Aparelently there are signs of like on colonised planets, but i havent really seen them.

but lights on the surfaces would be cool, even if hard to see on lava planets smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment