Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Composite suggestion] indepth political system (internal and global)

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 1:54:47 PM
Slowhands wrote:
Thanks for this -- we're feeling like a small studio in a very big world right now smiley: smile

Just remember that it's a world where all the big fish have been ignoring us for a long time - and that so far, your small studio has been doing amazing things. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 7:44:08 PM
killersandwich wrote:

internal political system

-what can effect the ships look e.g: a very left wing party got in to power the ships would be very soviet like.

-bounus to certian things such as reserach, production........

-how your people react when they are unhappy

-cheaper or more costly ships and buildings

-general look of the faction at hand

Hmmm, almost sounds like someone's been playing too much Tropico smiley: wink but I do agree that the happiness of your people needs to be a bigger role in affecting production and such... as of right now, I have a tendency to ignore it entirely.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 7:20:03 PM
Nicasa wrote:
i would like to see a more in-depth treaty creation system. often you have the standard: offer peace, and make alliance options. their should be a system to develop a treaty. for example, the treaty could be based on an interest, such as military or trade. it should be modular, here are some of my ideas:

first, the player or computer decides the weight of the treaty: concordat (less penalty if broken and bonuses), pacts, and alliances (great penalty if broken and great bonus)

second, player or the computer decides on the amendments of the treaty:

[LIST=1]
  • Trade
  • scientific
  • military (committing x of ships to the other party)
  • defensive (aiding the party in case of an attacked)
  • patrol (required patrol by the B party of the C party)
  • neutral zone (no colonies allowed in zone and no body holds this area)
  • DE-militarized zone (no established military in this zone, just defense of the planet, the planet don't have territory borders)
  • weapon arguments (certain weapon are not allowed, or disarmament)
  • resource arguments (sharing of certain resources)

• [/LIST]

Much of this would tie in well with the arguments in these two threads :

/#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/12022-diplomatic-25-year-plans-agreements-loans-and-other-dip-enhancements

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13291-suggestion-ability-to-alter-proposals

It is frustrating to have such a loss of control over a relationship, when you 'know' you could have come to some sort of understanding with them.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 14, 2012, 11:48:15 AM
    I feel that a more indepth political system would greatly enhance the late game and multiplayer option when it comes out as it seems to bottleneck in terms of what new options you can try out as you get further in the game. You start to run out of things to do with your colonized worlds. Maybe having inter colonized planets force players to do missions for being slighted by another faction.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 14, 2012, 9:49:24 AM
    I would like to echo any calls for more complex government and politics!

I really like the fictional basis for the different factions societies (especially those of the imperial-corporate United Empire) but I'd really like to see more of that in the game mechanics. The Colonial Rights improvement is a great start but other options for this kind of themed improvement - or even exclusive improvements (so Colonial Rights or Imperial Subinfeudation but not both, for example) could add more character. These improvements could even be linked to faction-specific tech nodes so that the peculiarities of each faction could be explored a bit more - including the tensions within the factions (corporate profit-making vs. aristocratic militarism, in the case of the Endless Empire) could be explored, contrasted, and perhaps even reconciled?
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 11, 2012, 3:43:21 PM
    Here is an implementation of Diplomacy/Government that I would like to see-

Perhaps as a consequence of very low happiness ratings over time a colony could develop a chance to revolt. If the unhappy colony is within an area influenced by another faction, it would petition to join the opposing faction. If the faction leader denies the request, or the colony is not within another faction's influence, it goes "rogue" becoming neutral and generating pirates at a set rate.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I'm still catching up on the forums. Fantastic game so far. Kudos, Amp!
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 10, 2012, 9:48:24 PM
    i would like to see a more in-depth treaty creation system. often you have the standard: offer peace, and make alliance options. their should be a system to develop a treaty. for example, the treaty could be based on an interest, such as military or trade. it should be modular, here are some of my ideas:

first, the player or computer decides the weight of the treaty: concordat (less penalty if broken and bonuses), pacts, and alliances (great penalty if broken and great bonus)

second, player or the computer decides on the amendments of the treaty:

[LIST=1]
  • Trade
  • scientific
  • military (committing x of ships to the other party)
  • defensive (aiding the party in case of an attacked)
  • patrol (required patrol by the B party of the C party)
  • neutral zone (no colonies allowed in zone and no body holds this area)
  • DE-militarized zone (no established military in this zone, just defense of the planet, the planet don't have territory borders)
  • weapon arguments (certain weapon are not allowed, or disarmament)
  • resource arguments (sharing of certain resources)

• [/LIST]

therefore, treaties should not be easily broken. some games the cpu like and dis-like you depending on the turn. if they dis-like you they should find a way to injury your nation within the the context of the treaty (just like in real life). this would present a challenge because you won't know your real enemies.

i also think there should be a privateer system: ships can be sold on the open space market (allowing any nation to purchase those ships from a bank and pirates can also purchase those ships). players can establish unmarked ships and privateer outpost on a planet that disturbs the economy of certain nations. treaties can negate the use of privateer or spy can discover the real owners.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 9, 2012, 6:13:33 PM
    Slowhands wrote:
    Thanks for this -- we're feeling like a small studio in a very big world right now smiley: smile

My advice is to take your time and what you can't afford to implement right now, leave the hooks in the system to implement later. Start designing modular add-ons and work out how much extra cash you'd need to implement them and then collect them up into $5 or $10 DLC chunks and float them that way.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 9, 2012, 5:46:10 PM
    Slowhands wrote:

And time flies away...

I just hope that is on your wishlist for an expansion.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 9, 2012, 5:44:40 PM
    i posted this idea in the first contact thread but it still may be valid in this thread as well

you have governments that provide a large buff percentage to 2 resources and a small debuff to the other 2 and a large buff or debuff to approval (you can be a dictatorship and have +12% prod +8% tech -4%food -6%dust -10% aproval or capitalism and have +12% dust +8% prod -4% tech -6%food and +10% approval)

you have personality that provide a small buff to 2 resources and a tiny debuff to the other 2 and a small buff or debuff to approval(you can be pessimist that gives +6% dust + 4% food -3% prod -2% tech and -5% approval or you can be a warmonger and get +6%prod +4%tech -3% food - 2% gold and -5% approval)

my twist is you get to have you government and a a personality for your species be it aggressive warmongering melancholic placid pessimist etc. with varying traits and buffs debufs to FIDS and overall approval and certain modified player interaction , like first contact ,diplomacy , chance of random empire event , etc.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 11:44:58 PM
    Thank you all who replied to a man's dream.

i am very new to forming and the 4x genre asweel but i am as level govterment and politics student who love sci fil stuff and i throught endless space was a nice platfrom what had so much to offer me.

especily because it in alpha so i had the chance to infullence the game and thats how my ideo came about.

thanks again
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 2:20:16 PM
    Couldn't agree more, Nico - we shall remain patient as Terra if need be. A good game arrives precisely when it means to. smiley: smile
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 2:14:42 PM
    Slowhands wrote:

Also remember that many people would rather take a later release to get an awesome game than a rushed release to get a mediocre one.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 6, 2012, 5:21:35 PM
    P.S i freaking love the game smiley: cool

A indepth sort of space UN political system

-banning of certian weapons e.g nuclear

-a security council of the three strongest players who can intervine in the five weaker players conflicts/wars as peacekeepers

-trade treatys

-joint reserach agreements

-all these can be strated by one player but need the votes of alll others

-votes are done on pop levels of a empire

-what can effect the ships look e.g: a very left wing party got in to power the ships would be very soviet like.

0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 12:23:39 PM
    killersandwich wrote:
    P.S i freaking love the game smiley: cool

A indepth sort of space UN political system

-banning of certian weapons e.g nuclear

-a security council of the three strongest players who can intervine in the five weaker players conflicts/wars as peacekeepers

-trade treatys

-joint reserach agreements

-all these can be strated by one player but need the votes of alll others

-votes are done on pop levels of a empire

Yeah agreed this game is awesome!

Love your UN suggestion. Banning of weapons, intervening in conflicts and general joint efforts of peace keeping. Sounds fun!
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 12:22:18 PM
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 11:48:05 AM
    I would like to be a gun runner. I want to sell starships to whoever I want to win in a given conflict.

Also, it's a bit pathetic that the races either hate or fear you. If your navy is too small they despise you. But if your navy is too big they hate you. That philosophy might be an expression of ONE RACE's psychology, but it's not a good system for everyone to abide by.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 11:27:04 AM
    An Alpha Centauri UN-like system could be pretty interesting. smiley: smile

Having to do favours or suck up to other people before elections are done to try and get votes for chairman to go your way.

Getting elected chairman and finally being able to shape which agendas get focused on, and paying other factions with technology or energy (Or for ES, dust) to second your proposal and vote for it....

Ok now I have to go play Alpha Centauri again, BBL. smiley: biggrin
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    May 7, 2012, 10:27:53 AM
    Well I'm dreaming...

I'd love to see different governments at default for the different factions. United Empire would be elected Corporate dukes and princes and such (imagine! "Her eminence, lady MacDougal of Weirchase-Sachs, GMBH. His grace, Baron Exxon the third...") that rubber-stamp your proposals so long as they benefit industry, Cravers would basically do whatever, and you might have splinter worlds, but each of those factions would remain loosely aligned... Sophons would probably have a technocrat democracy, where the most educated representatives of the fields of Sophon Science are voted in/out of tenureship? Hrmn. Hissho I think I recall reading have a perpetual military council (Bakufu, wahahah!), so probably military chain of command. And Horatio is Horatio is Horatio. Government is for non-Horatio.
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment