Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Minor Civilizations for more life in galaxy

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 4:10:43 AM
Mr_Twister wrote:

On the other hand, in BOTF it was basically just bribing, bribing, bribing to get them on your side.

Yeah it should work without bribing. As you are a superior civ to them they should be a little feared but would welcome your trade so that your relations constantly improve as long as you trade with them and let them live.

Hawawaa wrote:

option: minors to develop in majors (this is a chance too become major not always possible)

I don't think that this will work. When they become a major civ the first dozen rounds are over and they would have nearly no chance to build a proper fleet and economy to keep up with the others. Also the devs would have think of additionally races for them. Minor races don't need a history and exclusive bonuses like the major civs.

Hawawaa wrote:

option: they can die off randomly (virus, planet disaster, asteroid impact, ai rebellion, war, unknown, etc...)

When they meet the player or another race they will be killed or someone would prevent those impacts.

Heavydizle wrote:
make them believe you were gods of some kind

That could be fun too smiley: biggrin Maybe a mix of trade/peaceful coexistence and slavery.

Another option could be that they make deals with the pirates or are taken over by them. So the pirates can get stronger if you ignore these outposts and build stronger and more ships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 5:11:13 PM
Minor civs that can't space travel and are bound to their own system, but can benefit your civilization would make this game more lively.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 9:22:08 PM
I was thinking about something similar to minor civs. There could be some planets that are inhabited by sentient life that has not developed space flight yet. You could then have the option to conquer the planet by just destroying the sentient life, enslave the people or make them believe you were gods of some kind, or leave them be and simply study the development of the species. The first one could cause the FIDS of the planet to decrease, the second could increase the production of the planet but have a chance of rebellion and loss of the system, and the last option could increase your science points per turn.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 11:12:47 PM
+1 to this.

The ability to take smaller factions under your wing and raise them to greatness; or perhaps find a faction venturing the galaxy and bring them to their knees and make them your vassal. Would definitely add a lot more depth to the galaxy smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 12:22:13 AM
Jethro wrote:
Regular bribes or coorecion. I feel one game that handled minor civ's wonderfully is "Birth of the Federation". If a certain minor civ joined you, it has a 'minor race' advantage that then became yours. This could be very fun, with a working diplomacy system.

http://titan.spaceports.com/~fax/BOTF_minor_info.htm

I was just thinking the same, minor races were one of the features that made BOTF so great.

On the other hand, in BOTF it was basically just bribing, bribing, bribing to get them on your side. If they would be included, I sure hope it would be with more diverse opinion modifiers.

So +1 from me, if the diplomacy options are decent.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 3:11:37 AM
Love me some minors!

Start screen if you want them on or off.

# of minors and random

option: do more minors spawn as the game goes on

option: minors to develop in majors (this is a chance too become major not always possible)

option: they can die off randomly (virus, planet disaster, asteroid impact, ai rebellion, war, unknown, etc...)

minors start in different states of tech levels ie no FLT (caveman, medieval, modern, on the verge of FTL, etc...), FTL,

(all stuck in home system) some start off with only homeworld and some colonize other planets in home system. (very rare they go to 1 other system)

unique race bonuses: conquer them and it smaller or you could lose it, trade with them its bigger and when they join your empire its bigger (not by much) and you can colonize their worlds.

must have certain tech to make them join you/ and interact with them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 4:50:31 PM
Well, one way is that they could use the ideas that did not made the final cut for the main races as minor races smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 4:40:47 AM
Tragon wrote:

I don't think that this will work. When they become a major civ the first dozen rounds are over and they would have nearly no chance to build a proper fleet and economy to keep up with the others. Also the devs would have think of additionally races for them. Minor races don't need a history and exclusive bonuses like the major civs.

When they meet the player or another race they will be killed or someone would prevent those impacts.

Well its their problem for joining the major club so late but if you make the map huge it might give them a chance. Life is tough sometimes. smiley: biggrin

If we get random event (make it optional for people)... Then yes events like these can effect majors. (majors handle these events better than minors) In Distant worlds Legends these event happen that give penalties to your worlds but they recover over time (living breathing universe were shit happens) and don't do Star Wars Rebellion where you lose structures that was a pain in the ass! I wouldn't mind planet dropping in quality but it can recover.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 8:51:45 AM
With the options proposed, perhaps being prompted to assign a Hero to 'work' on the problem, and depending on the strengths of the Hero, it would lend itself to a particular 'option', for instance, wit can work to have them fully integrate quickly, a labor bonus, well, perhaps some other effect and so on, for each Hero attribute.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 12:12:19 PM
to be honest i dont think they have to add anything to be usefull.. they could just be there to add life to the universe ... and have their own storys you can read when you find them or .... maybe they can have the choice of who to join useing diplomacy ... or you can out right take over them ... perhaps they could have access to specials unique to them .. or be able to tell you where you can find other usefull stuff.. i think it would be fun and prolly add to over all feel of the uinivers... sometime i think it feels really empty when playing =X
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 12:38:57 PM
I generally like the idea of minor civilizations, as they add a bit of spice to the game. That being said, I rather dislike them when my only two major means of interacting with them are a) giving them boatloads of stuff and seeing no return or b) they have the worlds biggest inferiority complex and decide because I'm awesome they can't talk to me anymore so my final recourse is to decide c) they are in a tactically important part of the map (usually anywhere :P) and I end up removing them from the game anyways as they aren't useful to me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 3:59:33 PM
A minor civilization also could grand you acces to an new shipdesign, an extra shild/weapon/engine/cargo module .

This would be nice to see ingame.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 7:04:03 PM
Virus has a good idea there. It seems like everyone supports it for the added excitement and flavor minor civs could offer, so on assimilation (whether by trade or combat) what could really make this interesting is if over time you could see the cultures begin to mix. I'm not sure how this would be added in other than unique unit attributes (stats or skins), or special access to some sorts of a légion étrangère. Kind of plays with the going deeper than just gaining a Hero from the minor civ.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 7:33:58 PM
Jethro wrote:
With the options proposed, perhaps being prompted to assign a Hero to 'work' on the problem, and depending on the strengths of the Hero, it would lend itself to a particular 'option', for instance, wit can work to have them fully integrate quickly, a labor bonus, well, perhaps some other effect and so on, for each Hero attribute.

Now that sounds like a promising idea smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 9:55:04 AM
When they are on a planet with rare minerals like Titanium they could give you a larger amount than you would normally receive. They live on their planet a little longer than you and know where to find the resources. They could also give a +X in Approval in the system when you colonize the rest of the system, when you not kicked their ass or give a -X Approval if you enslaved them. And even civilizations with lower technology can have some special knowledge which the player does not know e.g. they could give the empire a little bonus on ground combat or harvesting special minerals depending on which mineral their planet offers.

tony2077 wrote:
i think this is a good idea if done right. civ5 did a good job of having them but i know these guys could do better if they feel like it smiley: wink

Yeah, had that in mind when i created this thread smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment