Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[RELEASED] community bug fix / balance mod

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 9:20:22 PM
I'm curious on the opinions as to the trait price of technologies - for me, I've never seen any one of them feel worthwhile enough to warrant spending points on. Does anyone else think those points required for a tech may be too high? 10 points for a single tech - you get a 3-turn advantage on a tech, but lose out on a game-length advantage that could multiply many times over.

I'm not seeing much of a worthwhile reason to grab tech advances at the trait selection.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 9:25:24 PM
Plutoman wrote:
I'm not seeing much of a worthwhile reason to grab tech advances at the trait selection.

I agree, but it may be worthwhile to have another round of discussion about trait point cost balancing, in the main forum rather than inside the discussion for one mod. I am sure people will have diverging but interesting opinions.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 4:15:14 PM
Any idea whether this is compatible with the new build that was published a few minutes ago?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 5:43:18 PM
I can guarantee it is not compatible. That is, it might come up and appear to work, but probably not as intended. If I took one particular xml file from 1.0.14 and changed it and put it in my mod, and then they changed the same file and put it into 1.0.16, then my file will be used instead of their new file. That is why all the mods (at least all my mods) contain the first line of disclaimer.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 6:28:29 PM
What makes you believe it is not? Nothing in the Patch-Notes indicated anything done but a bugfix to modding.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 6:31:14 PM
Yeah, how much do you trust the completeness of the release notes? Until I get to my gaming machine and perform all the diffs myself (8 hours from now), I prefer to assume the mod does not work anymore.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 6:40:49 PM
Well, Patch isn't out yet on steam so I can't try.

What are you using to Diff the Files? I think I could need that too.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 7:04:17 PM
I use linux for development normally. I have not had to do this yet, but I will probably zip the 1.0.14 files, my mod files, and the 1.0.16 files, put on linux. Then I will use "diff", "patch" to find and apply any 1.0.16 xml changes. At any rate, I will be able to easily report which xml files did not change; if a particular mod has only changed files, which are not updated in 1.0.16, then that mod is likely to work correctly with 1.0.16. (Note it is not "guaranteed", since it is possible for a change in one file to break local changes in a second file. Trust nothing!)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 7:31:05 PM
At work I also use Linux with tkdiff to diff. But at home I haven't even installed Linux and was thinking that something like diff should also exist for windows.

Well, we'll see.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 12:02:24 AM
iblise wrote:
Hmmm there is a comparison plugin for notepad++ that should work.

It's......ok. Getting a REALLY garbled diff is usually a clue that you're missing a tag somewhere.

Tried Serna free; sucked.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 12:40:52 AM
Updated to version 1.0.16-04 (note serial 04). Not many changes; OP updated.

• Updated xml to contain official changes for 1.0.16
  • Correct several tooltips for battle cards which do not match the implementation (notably Short Circuit and Adaptive Strategy)
  • Previous version attempted to replace AI ship template names such as MEDIUM1HISSHOTEMPLATES with the race specific name such as FALCON, but this oddly caused some races to never update their schematics. Removed.
  • Force heroes to choose fleet abilities, since AI heroes are almost always found on fleets

Updated release at moddb; previous version had 225 downloads. Version 3 of the mod as hosted here had an additional 125 downloads.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 1:07:24 AM
So the notes say Sloppy Sawbones is removed, but I still see it when I make a custom faction.

I've definitely got the mod loaded.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 1:28:43 AM
morik wrote:
So the notes say Sloppy Sawbones is removed, but I still see it when I make a custom faction.

Huh. That slipped through somehow. I re-deleted it, thanks. It will be in serial 05 when I release that, maybe later this week. If you are interested, edit simulation/factiontrait.xml, find the two trait blocks like this, and delete the lines (9 lines each, total 18 lines):

[code]

[/code]
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 10:40:10 PM
Ideas:

Color code the text and or circles around tech(s) to make it clear if they are dust/food/ind/science/military

Add effect description to temples description - long winded stories okay but what does it do exactly & make it consistent with other effect granting tooltips

Improve moon relate improvement tooltips to reflect pop modifer
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 11:13:42 PM
iblise wrote:
Improve moon relate improvement tooltips to reflect pop modifer

Those Tooltips are automatically generated from the SimulationObjectPropertyModifierDescriptors. I doubt there's anything we can do about them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 29, 2012, 12:23:53 AM
Truth, but not entirely true either, there might be a drawback though smiley: smile

[CODE]

StarSystemImprovementMoney2

count(ClassStarSystem/ClassPlanet/MoonStatusExplored) gt 1

%StarSystemImprovementMoney2Title

%StarSystemImprovementMoney2Description

%StarSystemImprovementMoney2TooltipEffect

[/CODE]

[CODE]

TooltipVisibility="false" />

[/CODE]

[CODE] Careful SweepingD

Generates 2 $(Money) per $(Population) on planets with an Explored Moon[/CODE]

The only issue is, if I remember correctly, is that there might now be issues with the improvement effect actually displaying in the StarSystem overview screen for dust generation - I can't remember thought (I hate testing stuff on my old slow laptop :S)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 29, 2012, 1:39:43 AM
I'm about to play my second game with this mod and I'm liking it so far. I do have one request, please remove the grey faction colour. It is hard to see their systems and their ships look too much like pirates.

Thank you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 29, 2012, 2:22:48 AM
grumble - wtf I thought this was doable - regarding temples what I'm trying to achieve is a screen like this:

I was convinced that it was simple matter of adjusting the temple descriptors so they weren't a simobjmodifer themselves, rather they refereed to a simobjmod using a descriptor... but it doesn't work... could anyone else take a quick peak at this, and tell me its not possible -_-
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment