Linked galaxies

I would like an option to choose more than one galaxy
One galaxy is enough
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jan 5, 2013, 1:40:31 PM
treizoz wrote:
I don't like this idea, it would act like continents in the civ games where the ai typically fails to present a challenge to other continents. it would just slow the game down in a bad way by emphasizing turtling and long slogs

I see nothing wrong with turtling and long slog games in SP, thats why we finaly got The Automations to complement the all out rush factions we already got and many prefer and enjoy this playstyle. When thats said, i se no additional reason why turtling would benefit you more in a scenario like this than it would today. Actually it would be even more important to spread out and get yourself a good piece of the second galaxy as soon as it is possible to be able to compete.

By the way, the second galaxy could just as well be a tiny and old end-game galaxy as it could be another huge one. You should be able to choose the size/denity etc for the second galaxy just like you can do today with the starting galaxy. This could lead to an interesting claustrophobic experience and a welcome change of pace in the end. Sounds like good fun imo smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 5:47:13 PM
There should be the ability to choose between wether you want a quick (small galaxy) medium (1 day large galaxy) or giant 2 week marathon in single or multiplayer. If you don't like huge maps don't play them but let the ones that do want it enjoy themselves and have their galaxy spanning empires. I don't see any reason why everyones tastes could be catered for in the game mechanics, they could make it that only the largest ship classes could cross galaxies instead of changing the research tree or add an engine mod.

I also love the idea of the random return of the endless (maybe when you start turning their machines on) as an event. They could have left our galaxy and gone to another possibly running from an even greater threat.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 13, 2012, 1:08:21 AM
one bigger galaxy is better imo, like the Alternative Galaxy Generator mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 13, 2012, 1:42:51 AM
Wouldn't have to be much worse than the current merging galaxies - just separate them, have half the races start in each galaxy and unable to face one another until they can go offroad. Sounds like a fun variant.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 13, 2012, 9:47:02 AM
I'm loving these points as well-how about the new galaxy opens up late game (maybe only post victory?) and you get a single planet in an already (mostly) developed galaxy.

I.e. #you start with a single planet

#you (maybe, up for debate) get access to (some?) tech you've already developed

#the empires in this new galaxy all have multiple planets, and are quite away along the tech tree and already have relationships between them-there could be alliances and wars already going on!

P.s.thought of this after I'd written everything else up-if you choose the 2 galaxy option, the tech tree is restricted-I.e. no quadronix or siderite in your starting galaxy and certain techs (galactic brotherhood, hydrosequencing for example) are unavailable until you get to the second galaxy-which could only be unlocked after you reach victory conditions in the first galaxy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 15, 2012, 1:21:18 PM
It would make the SP sessions much more interesting and I kind of like Fridgeseal's idea... would be nice.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 16, 2012, 11:21:13 AM
I'm all for options, but I do question whether this would the proper thing to focus on at this stage of development. I can see being able to transition into a second galaxy after achieving a win condition, and having that condition be blocked out for the second galaxy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 1:54:26 PM
Fridgeseal wrote:

P.s.thought of this after I'd written everything else up-if you choose the 2 galaxy option, the tech tree is restricted-I.e. no quadronix or siderite in your starting galaxy and certain techs (galactic brotherhood, hydrosequencing for example) are unavailable until you get to the second galaxy-which could only be unlocked after you reach victory conditions in the first galaxy.

Like your thoughts of restricting certain techs until you reach the second galaxy. It`s always nice to have something to look forward to smiley: smile

Personally i would like it if you didn`t have to "win" the first galaxy before being able to travel to the next but rather implement new mid game space travel techs and be able to manage and travel between both galaxies at the same time. Although it surely would simplify some things like the CPU bottleneck dilemma.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 7:20:15 PM
I don't like this idea, it would act like continents in the civ games where the ai typically fails to present a challenge to other continents. it would just slow the game down in a bad way by emphasizing turtling and long slogs
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 4, 2013, 7:53:14 AM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Many people scream for some big-ass spacemonster or something comparable. Well how about a High-Tech-Faction like the Endless poping up as a little fleet in mid-/end-game and try to invade one of the territories. They have a good reason (perhaps fleeing from something, searching for arttifacts or something similar) but propose a real thread to anyone in the galaxy, since they are more evolved than anyone and start taking over your systems for "the good of the galaxy". There you have your big-ass-monster!

Sounds like Dread Lords to me. I don't understand why would anyone want to fight ridiculously overpowered stuff, if they're supposed to possess such threat to the current empires, you shouldn't be able to beat the, in the first place. Even if all the empires would form an alliance, the only difference would be more time needed to wipe them all out.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 5, 2013, 11:31:13 AM
Well it wasn't my idea anyway. ^^ Just said that many people crave for catastrophes. But if alliance play could be improved to even coordinate multiple fleets to a specific degree (my Ping-idea to call for help for example), such an ivent could be managable.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 2:44:12 PM
Well, the idea is to have to do something after winning in the galaxy.

In the beginning of the game the galaxy is already separated to the regions, so the concept of "exploring new worlds" after applied casimir effect technology exists. Then, with exploration of free-travel technology the galaxy is again a solid body without regions.

What would be fun is having a parallel galaxy with own AIs and history that develops separately from you. And after discovery of the last technology you would be able to inject some of your fleets into it and "love and tolerate the S***" out of it's inhabitants. Or at least make influence on their life.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 5, 2013, 1:48:04 PM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Well it wasn't my idea anyway. ^^

I know.smiley: smile

Anyway, if people crave for more galaxies, no objections as long as it's an option. I haven't even played on huge map yet, too many start systems to keep track of for me.smiley: sweat

Thoto79 wrote:
By the way, the second galaxy could just as well be a tiny and old end-game galaxy as it could be another huge one. You should be able to choose the size/denity etc for the second galaxy just like you can do today with the starting galaxy. This could lead to an interesting claustrophobic experience and a welcome change of pace in the end. Sounds like good fun imo smiley: smile

I'll take two tiny ones with cheese, thank you!smiley: yell
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 5, 2013, 10:20:52 PM
Reading over this, I can agree that this would be a cool option for single player games. I also think it would be an interesting option for multiplayer games as an 'option'. I don't think most people would use it, but I have some close friends that I play with frequently and we would possibly try such a map out and even enjoy it. However, I think it would end up being too convoluted at the current pacing. Not because of game length so much, but because of how long people's turns would be. :\
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 6, 2013, 11:53:43 AM
treizoz wrote:

I agree with this.

For everyone that thinks the current galaxy is too small; have a look at this mod: /#/endless-space/forum/37-modding/thread/16276-released-alternativ-galaxy-generator
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 6, 2013, 3:06:47 PM
Thoto79 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with turtling and long slog games in SP, thats why we finaly got The Automations to complement the all out rush factions we already got and many prefer and enjoy this playstyle. When thats said, i se no additional reason why turtling would benefit you more in a scenario like this than it would today. Actually it would be even more important to spread out and get yourself a good piece of the second galaxy as soon as it is possible to be able to compete.

If you want a larger galaxy you can edit the xml or use a mod to make a galaxy as gigantic as you like. Adding in a second galaxy thats tiny or asymmetrical would seem to defeat the purpose, it would be just another constellation effectively with a much longer travel time.

Alternately an implementation of this idea IMO would be similar to the civ new world random maps, where you start off with all the players in a small area and have to "colonize" a distant foreign area for resources and space to expand. I havent gave much thought to how the home galaxy would prevent rushing in ES or it might just be necessary to give everyone a small home constellation far away from everyone else in a ring around the center "real" galaxy. Winning in that case would require conquering the center and then sending fleets to finish off homeworlds.

I have serious concerns over the gameplay mechanics of a second galaxy in terms of the quality of AI strategy, since this seems to be for SP afterall, and movement between galaxies. How long does it take to move between galaxies? Does it require a specific tech? If you use a wormhole for instant travel instead of a long flight, whats the point of even having a second unique galaxy?

tl;dr this idea doesnt really add much that generating a larger single galaxy couldnt provide and I dont believe it should be a priority for the dev team when so many more things are pressing.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 8, 2013, 3:14:59 PM
Thoto79 wrote:
I think some of you guys slightly missing the point of this suggestion, nevertheless great mod! Tnx for link smiley: smile
Not really, like someone else already posted, adding more galaxies would be no different than adding more constellations.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 8, 2013, 9:39:43 PM
prassel wrote:
Not really, like someone else already posted, adding more galaxies would be no different than adding more constellations.

Sry did not mean to sound condescending i just feel that a galaxy as it is today, only bigger, won`t cut it.

I guess you can compare it to Islands or Continents in Civ because it would be very much the same in ES only here it would be a sea of lightyears to cross witch you will not be able to do without the right ship. Implement a special ship and/or tech before u can continue to explore. I would also very much like to see more than two galaxies linked together with techs/ships only available from the second galaxy to take me to the third and to be able to move freely between them and their galaxy unique strategic resources and later be able to obtain "The Intergalactic Globetrotter" archievement! smiley: smile

In short, make it vast and at the same time keep the tingling early game exploring sensation throughout smiley: wink
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment